• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Obama Official Portraits

Working though that example though, there are plenty of presidential portraits that don't fit such a definition: see Thomas Jefferson, William Henry Harrison, or James Garfield. These leave little detail to be interpreted. We get a face and that's pretty much it.

So, there are two categories of official presidential portrait. Art portraits and Reference portraits.

The Obama portraits would seem to fit into the former.

#MakeArtGreatAgain!

Seriously?

Just google “the art of portrait photography”.

A portrait is always art.

The little picture of me on my driver's license is art?

Which photo is chosen? Which “look”, expression, setting, background, lighting, etc. are preferred?

Working though that example though, there are plenty of presidential portraits that don't fit such a definition: see Thomas Jefferson, William Henry Harrison, or James Garfield. These leave little detail to be interpreted. We get a face and that's pretty much it.

So, there are two categories of official presidential portrait. Art portraits and Reference portraits.

The Obama portraits would seem to fit into the former.

i don't understand, how are those examples different than a Renoir

The DMV lady literally chose the first one and any rhetorical choice I made in dress, setting, lighting, etc. is constrained by the situation (DMV and cropping of photo).

It's a reference photo.

i don't understand, how are those examples different than a Renoir

Good question. Well - for one - I'm keeping the lens (and thus this distinction) on presidential portraits. Certainly it would be hard to classify a Renoir portrait as reference portrait when we're not sure who the subject is. With presidential portraits, we can be reasonably sure we know who it is of. They're a unique genre. I'm just dividing the genre a bit.

Probably not, as it likely lacked collaboration and artistic intent.

I like the idea of portraits requiring collaboration. Seems true. I did agree to sit down and have my photo taken, though.

I guess you'd call it a headshot?

The DMV lady literally chose the first one and any rhetorical choice I made in dress, setting, lighting, etc. is constrained by the situation (DMV and cropping of photo).

It's a reference photo.
There are a few examples of people making purposeful asthetic choices for their license photos - haircuts, jewelry, etc. Couldn't any asthetic choice be considered artistic?

There are a few examples of people making purposeful asthetic choices for their license photos - haircuts, jewelry, etc. Couldn't any asthetic choice be considered artistic?

The subject of a DMV photo is not an artist. They don't create anything. The DMV worker is not an artist. They take no artistic intent and make no artistic choices. They push a button. Therefore a license picture is not art.

The subject of a DMV photo is not an artist. They don't create anything. The DMV worker is not an artist. They take no artistic intent and make no artistic choices. They push a button. Therefore a license picture is not art.

Bullshit, any photo of me is art.

4644e4d2d4a9e7c93c67525e2f2aea90.jpg

is the WSJ's portrait art?

it's merely a machine created photo-facsimile for reference purposes. the portraits are designed by the artist to express imagery but also ideals and other information about the subject

Google says WSJ "hedcuts" are hand-drawn

I've always wondered about this because they are certainly crafted to look they are itaglio prints. Probably just skeuomorphic.

This is the lamest argument. And I spent half of yesterday arguing about Doug Wojcik.

Last edited:
Back