• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next Wake Forest Basketball Coach...

Dixon was never actually fired. They didn't stop him from going though.

Lets follow the Pittsburgh model... Get a pretty good coach ...get frustrated with him because we deserve better ..so fire him
and go further down

So if you take away Wilbekin and Thompson from this year's team and add Top-25 SF Jaylen Hoard (2018), Top-75 SF Isaiah "Zeke" Mucius (2017), 4-star PG/SG Sharone Wright, Jr., and 4-star PG Jamie Lewis for next year will we still be having this discussion over Manning's future?

Last evening as I watched Syracuse and UNC more objectively, it became clearer to me that we simply did not have the athletes to compete this year. All possibilities for a winning season left with Collins and Dinos. I am frustrated with Manning and have advocated for change; however, I suspect that he recognized that he just didn't have sufficient talent to compete and resigned himself to that fact. Perhaps he didn't do everything he should have to elevate the team; but, the talent/athletic gap is really substantial.

Hopefully that gap is narrowed substantially next season. If so, we may see a different Manning also.

So if you take away Wilbekin and Thompson from this year's team and add Top-25 SF Jaylen Hoard (2018), Top-75 SF Isaiah "Zeke" Mucius (2017), 4-star PG/SG Sharone Wright, Jr., and 4-star PG Jamie Lewis for next year will we still be having this discussion over Manning's future?

I don't think either of the guards will be immediate impact players (they are not 4 stars). Hoard should be, and Mucius probably will be.

The team should be better, maybe even a lot better. But, that could still translate into a bubble team which, for year 5, is not great, especially not when you have two starters graduating.

Lets follow the Pittsburgh model... Get a pretty good coach ...get frustrated with him because we deserve better ..so fire him
and go further down

So, for fear of dropping from 14 to 15, we just stay put? Smart.

Last evening as I watched Syracuse and UNC more objectively, it became clearer to me that we simply did not have the athletes to compete this year. All possibilities for a winning season left with Collins and Dinos. I am frustrated with Manning and have advocated for change; however, I suspect that he recognized that he just didn't have sufficient talent to compete and resigned himself to that fact. Perhaps he didn't do everything he should have to elevate the team; but, the talent/athletic gap is really substantial.

Hopefully that gap is narrowed substantially next season. If so, we may see a different Manning also.

So, since Manning felt like the team was not very good, he just decided to coach stupidly since "what the hell?" Let's just play as many guards and walk-ons as we can.

Weird that this talent gap rarely manifested itself in the first half and usually only really showed up during the last 5-8 minutes.

No way that the talent gap was on the bench, eh?

I don't think either of the guards will be immediate impact players (they are not 4 stars). Hoard should be, and Mucius probably will be.

The team should be better, maybe even a lot better. But, that could still translate into a bubble team which, for year 5, is not great, especially not when you have two starters graduating.

That is why the 2019 entering class recruits are so important. Will there be equivalent or better talent to replace Doral and Crawford or not?

That is why the 2019 entering class recruits are so important. Will there be equivalent or better talent to replace Doral and Crawford or not?

Crawford I am not as worried about. I don't mind senior Childress being a starter and would think at least one of Wright or Lewis should be rotation ready at that point. Center though, we're basically counting on Sarr making a Doral-esque leap or on landing an ACC ready big man in 19. That's scary.

and go further down

Well, except your facts are wrong. Dixon = Odom. We hired Skip. And except for the fact that Dixon went to coach at his Alma Mater. Besides that exactly the same.

Put the crack pipe down and take a nap. You have lost touch with reality at the moment.

Tainted or not. Wake has already suffered the death penalty for eight years and committed no violation.

“WORSE?!?!? How can things get any worse?!?!? Take a look around you Ellen! We're at the threshold of Hell!” - Clark w griswold

Tainted or not. Wake has already suffered the death penalty for eight years and committed no violation.

“WORSE?!?!? How can things get any worse?!?!? Take a look around you Ellen! We're at the threshold of Hell!” - Clark w griswold

"Next year with Danny, we'll have so much Wake Forest fun we'll be whistling zippity do da out of our assholes." Praise Ron Welllman!!

Think there is a decent chance Doral and Crawford are not coming back next year.

It’s Manning’s fault that we didn’t have the talent. The 2016 class killed us. And we underachieved with talent we had.

Back