• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Donovan Mitchell Transferring

It blows my mind that Childress had a higher percentage than Woods this year. Woods went from .438 to .374. And took more attempts per game. Yikes.

Woods only shooting 99 three pointers this year (and making just 37) is a pretty crazy stat.

And in case you were wondering, he shot 20/50 for %40 from 3 in the 14 games before he banged his knee against Cuse. 17/49 for %35 in 15 games after it, including missing his last 7 three point attempts of the season.

Was there ever any elaboration as to why he was benched for the Quinnipiac game? I had forgotten about that, but clearly him and Danny weren't on the same page from the get go this season.

Last edited:
Transfers, by themselves, do not always indicate problems with a program.

There are plenty of successful programs that have a lot of transfers.

Yes, but Duke kids transfer because they were top 100 recruits and can't get off the bench. Our guys transfer for other reasons.

The key word there is "successful." I hate to tell you guys a secret, but Wake has never recruited very well. If you recruit 2-3 star players who can't measure up to ACC standards, they will likely transfer and you want them to do that. Those players may stick around if the program is winning. I always thought that the best thing we had to offer was a great education and ACC playing time. The latter has been minimized with the expansion of the conference.

Losing 3 guys from the same class is a pretty big deal, IMO. [Redacted]-esque.

It also really pokes holes in the “diamond in the rough” orientation that folks have towards unheralded players.

What’s becoming clear is that signings that seem underwhelming usually result in underwhelming college players.

Yes, but Duke kids transfer because they were top 100 recruits and can't get off the bench. Our guys transfer for other reasons.

like they can't get off the bench because coach wants to play grad transfers that shoot 30% from the floor and five guard lineups

I wasn’t comparing us to Duke.

I’m just saying we’ve been losing players that weren’t going to help us anyway.

Agree that it is a bad look for past recruiting, though. Can’t be missing on this many players.

It also really pokes holes in the “diamond in the rough” orientation that folks have towards unheralded players.

What’s becoming clear is that signings that seem underwhelming usually result in underwhelming college players.

I don’t know about that. Many of the transfers have gone on to have solid college careers.

Let's look at reality:

Wilbekin unheralded - played 25+mpg for four years - not a true ACC player but did play
Dinos - 3*- no one knew -solid ACC player -got $2M Greek pro contract
John Collins - 3* - Top 20 1st Round pick -greatly outperformed his
Brandon - 2-3* - serviceable
Donovan - seems to be improving a lot -we'll see at his next stop
Sam- wasn't diamond in the tough - was 4*
Wash - didn't pan out...
Melo - didn't play much -looks like he is more of a lower D-1

The other recruits were 4*. Thus they aren't "diamonds in the rough". Grad transfers aren't in that category either.

Of the seven 3* or below:

1 real star
1 solid ACC player
2 rotation players that we needed, but wouldn't play if we had 4*s coming
1 who the jury is out
2 who didn't pan out at all

It's kind of what you expect. If every 4-5 years, you can find a 3* like JC, most programs would be ecstatic. Not great, not terrible.

I realize saying "not terrible" is equivalent to saying they should be in Hall of Fame to some here.

I think Mitchell may end up with a career trajectory like Tyler Cavanaugh. I thought he was one of our higher basketball IQ guys, just did not get enough pt to develop. I am sorry he is leaving.

Bummer. Seemed like he had the potential to contribute next year.

So the guys in bold have left, are definitely leaving, or are rumored to be leaving:

Moore
Crawford
Hoard
Chaundee
Woods
Sarr
Mucius
Childress
Mitchell
Eggleston
SJM
Washington
Wright
Lewis

Did I miss anyone?

Not ideal, but outside of Woods we are just rotating the end of our bench.
Okeke. i think he could give us a solid 10 minutes at the 4 or 5.

I think Mitchell may end up with a career trajectory like Tyler Cavanaugh. I thought he was one of our higher basketball IQ guys, just did not get enough pt to develop. I am sorry he is leaving.

I’ll take the other side of that bet.

Could be reading too much into his twitter, but is he considering Nevada?

I think he got just about the right amount of playing time. Who knows what is behind this; but, I would not blame this one of DM.

Back