• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hire Ryan Odom

I wonder if Mack would leave if Xavier gave him $3M/year. I know L'ville could give more, but I'll be very surprised if they aren't on probation.

He's got a job for life. The Big East has a nice TV contract. X creates lots of home game revenue. They can pay him $3M/year if they wanted to do it.

I'm not sure if L'ville would give him the $7M/yr that Pitino got.

Mack absolutely vapor locked the last two minutes last night. His players had no idea what to do. I have to believe Louisville might cool on him after that.

Mack's wife is from Louisville and still has family there. That is the connection.

Mack absolutely vapor locked the last two minutes last night. His players had no idea what to do. I have to believe Louisville might cool on him after that.

Mack's wife is from Louisville and still has family there. That is the connection.

There's a randomness to coaching and outcomes that no one likes to admit. On the one side, you have Chris Mack who is universally acknowledged as a great coach; on the other, you have Leonard Hamilton who is often a punching bag for his lack of game coaching skills. Yet, FSU pulls the game out in the final seconds.

The scenario with uber coaches (Greg Marshall, Shaka, Izzo, Larranaga, Barnes, Cronin, Buzz... Wes Miller) failing in tight games, has been a theme in this tournament. Game coaching helps, but its not necessarily determinative.

There may be a connection, but the Louisville job isn't terribly appetizing at the moment. There are a lot of unknowns, from the University President on down. And there is the little matter that the athletic department seems to be a cesspool. Also, the BB team is on probation and has been hit with NCAA sanctions. Not sure Mack would view that as much of an "opportunity."

Yeah. I would imagine even the best college coaches still hover somewhere around %55 or %60 wins in one possession games. There is only so much you can do/prepare for when you are guaranteed to have %100 turnover every 4 years.

Last edited:
Yeah. I would imagine even the best college coaches still hover somewhere around %55 or %60 wins in one possession games. There is only so much you can do/prepare for when you are guaranteed to have %100 turnover every 4 years.

don't know about that #anecdotes

in 5 minutes of my life that I won't get back, I just looked at K's record in one possession games over the last 8 seasons, where "one possession game" = final score of 3 points or less OR overtime (since even if an OT game has a 5-point spread, it was zero at the end of regulation)

K's record in those games over the past 8 years: 22-12

Duke seemed to lose a lot of 4-point games, however

I’ll take the job for 250k. Huge pay cut I’ll do it. 5 year commitment.

in 5 minutes of my life that I won't get back, I just looked at K's record in one possession games over the last 8 seasons, where "one possession game" = final score of 3 points or less OR overtime (since even if an OT game has a 5-point spread, it was zero at the end of regulation)

22-12 = 64.7%. Not much above 60 even for one of the best all time.

For sake of the argument, I’d count OT as a tie and also count the final result.

But regardless, it kinda makes the original point that the greatest coach of all time is 65% in one possession games.

I’ll take the job for 250k. Huge pay cut I’ll do it. 5 year commitment.

Wait, are you going to be our basketball coach or athletic director?

Offering to take half of what was already offered seems like a really bad business decision.

Not kidding. Just going on record lest anyone say more qualified candidates wouldn’t do it for 1/4 of what we pay Ron.

Given the fact that our insane fanbase ran his dad off, I doubt he wants anything to do with us.

Back