• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

My motivation can sometimes get the best of me. I got the idea to rearrange the tailgate trailer and smoker to cut down on weight, and now I can't get it out of my head. I should have thought of this during the cooler months, and had planned to do the work next fall, but I'm tempted to get it done before football season.

Did a butt on Saturday. Used the Adam Perry Lang rub with my own modifications. It was on about 9 hours and came out great. I still haven't figured out how to regulate temp with airflow and I still have to add fuel every hour. I think it's a consequence of not having a true smoker. May buy the firebox accessory for my Char Grill.

1224.jpg

That is pretty much the same smoker my neighbor and I use. It is a fuel hog. But, I am moving soon and I am going to let him keep the smoker..allowing me to UPGRADE!

That is Bib's cooker on the yellow trailer. Their set up looks a little ghetto fab!

Last edited:
Did a butt on Saturday. Used the Adam Perry Lang rub with my own modifications. It was on about 9 hours and came out great. I still haven't figured out how to regulate temp with airflow and I still have to add fuel every hour. I think it's a consequence of not having a true smoker. May buy the firebox accessory for my Char Grill.

1224.jpg

I have a friend who has something very similar and his biggest problem is that the unit is not sealed well at all.

If you get a chance, check out the YouTube video of the Vault made by Pitmakers out of Houston Texas. Its fully insulated and crazy efficient. Its my dream for a smaller, around the house style smoker.

I have a friend who has something very similar and his biggest problem is that the unit is not sealed well at all.

I think that's right. Not sure there is anything to be done. I don't smoke all that often and charcoal is cheap so i will probably just carry on until it wears out. i have the model with gas on one side and charcoal on the other (not pictured in my post) and i like the versatility.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

If you get a chance, check out the YouTube video of the Vault made by Pitmakers out of Houston Texas. Its fully insulated and crazy efficient. Its my dream for a smaller, around the house style smoker.

the narrator sounds like landfill/farva from beerfest/super troopers.

Doing three racks of ribs today as an experiment. One using Myrons recipe, one using Triggers and one using mine. Their recipes are interesting, to say the least.

I was not a fan of Myron's at all. Granted I'm sure he doesn't put his competition recipe in his book, but still I wasn't impressed. Johnny Triggs were the most tender ribs I've ever had. They weren't much on flavor though.

Just got asked to smoke 100 pounds of pulled pork for our church. Should be interesting trying to get it all done on the WSM...it will be a multi-day affair.

Actually, I may be able to do 70-80 pounds on the WSM and then do the rest on my Weber grill. The butts from the grill can smoke for 4-5 hours, finish in the oven and then be pulled and mixed into the rest of the butts that go 12ish on the WSM.

How long does it take you to get your internal temps over 140? Once you get them there on the WSM, you can definitely finish in the oven. Will that amount of time give you the bark you want as well?

How long does it take you to get your internal temps over 140? Once you get them there on the WSM, you can definitely finish in the oven. Will that amount of time give you the bark you want as well?

Well, I should be able to do the bulk in the WSM and only have to do 2-3 butts on my grill setup to smoke. The grilled/oven finished butts won't have as good of a bark, but they'll be mixed in with the butts that go the distance on the smoker. I could just smoke them all of the way on the grill, but it takes more work to keep smoking for a long time. I'd rather not be adding fuel all day to the grill while the WSM is mostly set it and forget it.

Everything is going to need to be reheated, so I need to come up with a middle of the road dip I can mix in during the reheating process to keep things moist. Anyone have a suggestion? Something Lexington style?

Well, I should be able to do the bulk in the WSM and only have to do 2-3 butts on my grill setup to smoke. The grilled/oven finished butts won't have as good of a bark, but they'll be mixed in with the butts that go the distance on the smoker. I could just smoke them all of the way on the grill, but it takes more work to keep smoking for a long time. I'd rather not be adding fuel all day to the grill while the WSM is mostly set it and forget it.

Everything is going to need to be reheated, so I need to come up with a middle of the road dip I can mix in during the reheating process to keep things moist. Anyone have a suggestion? Something Lexington style?

My father in law (same one that does whole hogs with just salt and pepper) mixes a little italian dressing in his pork to help it stay moist. Believe or not, it seems to do the trick without adding any noticeable flavor. Me personally - I'd got with a vinegar sauce.

The Italian suggestion is one I've never heard. We marinade chicken and shrimp in it, but haven't thought about using it in BBQ.

What kind of sauce/dip do you typically make for your bbq racer? I assume your hometown does more of a traditional Lexington style?

I was not a fan of Myron's at all. Granted I'm sure he doesn't put his competition recipe in his book, but still I wasn't impressed. Johnny Triggs were the most tender ribs I've ever had. They weren't much on flavor though.

Which Myron recipe did you use? I did one yesterday and they turned out awesome.

What kind of sauce/dip do you typically make for your bbq racer? I assume your hometown does more of a traditional Lexington style?

I typically have a batch of Lexington, Eastern and Western made up for folks to use and I add just a bit of eastern to the pork when I pull it. Since I plan to reheat, I'm probably going to sauce it heavier as I pull it, so I'll probably go with something sweeter and more middle of the road like Lexington style since I'm cooking for such a big group and then still have those three choices available on the side.

Which Myron recipe did you use? I did one yesterday and they turned out awesome.

I did the one where you marinade it in OJ, ginger ale, and soy sauce. The glaze wasnt bad at all, I just didn't like the internal flavor of them. Which recipe did you use?

I typically have a batch of Lexington, Eastern and Western made up for folks to use and I add just a bit of eastern to the pork when I pull it. Since I plan to reheat, I'm probably going to sauce it heavier as I pull it, so I'll probably go with something sweeter and more middle of the road like Lexington style since I'm cooking for such a big group and then still have those three choices available on the side.
That sounds like the best bet to me.

Back