• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

Since my reverse flow smoker isnt finished yet, I'm going back to my roots and using my dads charcoal drum smoker to cook 4 briskets and 4 shoulders tomorrow for our Firefighter of the Year Banquet. Its a 300 gallon drum, home made direct heat bbq pit. To prevent scorching, I'm putting the meat in large aluminum pans on cooling racks to help deflect some of the heat.

FYI, Costco in Winston-Salem had 36lbs of Kingsford Competition Briquettes for $20 if any of you use it for smoking.

best place to buy ribs for smoking around ws? I know costco has tons of selection - any suggestions?

also, PM me with good recipes/instructions for said recipe.

Last edited:
I get mine from Costco. They're not packed with the brine solution and most have the membrane already removed for you.

I know we're always our own toughest critic, but I was not happy at all with my smoke last weekend. To deflect the heat, I placed a layer of foil down to protect the meat, and then ended up foiling the butts and briskets. His smoker has a few air intake holes, but none of them have controls to limit the flow of air into the drum so I was struggling to keep consistent temperature. I'd had a few requests to flat out char a couple of each, so I begrudgingly did so. Its what they wanted, and they loved it, but I completely destroyed two briskets and shoulders. It pained me greatly to do so.

Smoked 16lbs of pork butt and 6lbs of st louis ribs yesterday. Cooked pork for 10 hours at 240-250deg then double foil and towel wrapped to rest in cooler for 2 hours. Came out perfectly and all those in attendance loved it. Unfortunately, I broke my phone in the middle of the day so I couldn't take any more pictures.:rulz::tard:

Used bear claws to pull it apart which I love - much easier.

Rub (Lang 7 spice with modifications):
wkns.jpg

Set up (kind of unique as I've found a way to control temps well with the fan):
gw3k.jpg

I'm feverishly working to get my insulated firebox finished and on the trailer for this weekend. We're doing boston butts for the tailgate, and although it may not look pretty, it's going to be done. I'm taking tomorrow off work to get it done.

Smoked a couple o birds at the lake 2 wknds ago. The bird setter things work way better than beer cans.

a6txx.jpg

Last edited:
Nice. I was saddened to learn last week that Costco no longer has the full packers. It just meant I had to buy them by the case, so I've got a couple in the freezer.

I welded until 8pm last tonight to get it finished. The new firebox on the smoker is working wonderfully. Sitting at 262 degrees and watching the thin blue smoke.

what about salting food? I had some deer butt last night that was raw and salted? and I guess goes for $160 per pound. pretty good I guess. tasted like ncountry ham. kind of cool to eat off a straight deer leg though

Smoked a couple o birds at the lake 2 wknds ago. The bird setter things work way better than beer cans.
Where did you pick up the bird setters? I keep using the beer cans, purely due to the volume and cost of upgrading to the setters. I'd likely end up needing around 20 or so.

Where did you pick up the bird setters? I keep using the beer cans, purely due to the volume and cost of upgrading to the setters. I'd likely end up needing around 20 or so.

Cheapest I see them on Amazon is about $7 per. The roasters definitely work better, IMO, since they allow heat into the inside of the cavity so the poultry cooks more evenly and quicker.

Back