• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

anthony bourdain kills himself

I'd have killed myself at this point had I not sought out a therapist and been prescribed appropriate medication, so seeing someone attribute an increase in suicide to an increase in medication is offensive to me. That's the same stigma that almost prevented me from getting help in the first place.

Sorry- just to clarify- I don't personally think those are the reasons, just ones that people would throw in to the conversation. 100000000% agree that therapy and medication can work wonders.

Word. Riscdeac posted some shit like that before and it drove me nuts. Just absolutely hate that stigma.

I'd have killed myself at this point had I not sought out a therapist and been prescribed appropriate medication, so seeing someone attribute an increase in suicide to an increase in medication is offensive to me. That's the same stigma that almost prevented me from getting help in the first place.

Glad you found help. My wife was the same way. She long thought she was depressed but couldn’t get the treatment she needed because while she was on her parents’ insurance they would never have allowed her to get it because they don’t believe in treating depression medically, which is of course ridiculous. They think if you like exercise, eat healthy, read a good book and basically suck it up you’ll be fine. So as soon as we got married and she got on my insurance we right away got her the care and medicine she needed.

I don't even know Kory but I'm glad he's still here!

He always seemed like a smug asshole to me. Shouldn't have killed himself tho - just sought help.

Maybe meds for depression is not what he's talking about. We medicate for everything in this country. ADHD meds fuck some people up.

but srsly that is a borderline offensive bad taek

"decreased religiousity"? I'd think that being guilted into thinking you'll go to hell if you off yourself would be a factor in considering suicide, though it's that same kind of mindset that thought of mental illness as shameful too, and thus treatment was shunned or not adequately researched for centuries.

I think that "if only those mentally ill folks had come to jesus !" is an agressively bad and offensive take, yes.

Maybe meds for depression is not what he's talking about. We medicate for everything in this country. ADHD meds fuck some people up.
Maybe some people should seek out medication instead of viewing it as a weakness.

Smug asshole? I guess that's because he wanted to teach people about shithole countries.

"decreased religiousity"? I'd think that being guilted into thinking you'll go to hell if you off yourself would be a factor in considering suicide, though it's that same kind of mindset that thought of mental illness as shameful too, and thus treatment was shunned or not adequately researched for centuries.

I think that "if only those mentally ill folks had come to jesus !" is an agressively bad and offensive take, yes.

Sadly, there are plenty of people - vast amounts in fact - who believe this very thing.

My daughter has depression and anxiety, and she feels like she is currently living in hell (despite all the love and help she has around her). Spending eternity in hell would not be a deterrent to some one who already feels they are there and has no hope of getting out. I think that people who don't have depression just genuinely cannot understand what it feels like to live with the disease. To me it looks an ever adapting monster that will perpetually find new ways to undermine your contentedness in life. Happiness is always fleeting and people with depression must always be vigilant. This Anthony Bourdain news really saddens me. I don't really know him or his work, but depression sucks.

It is also the case that not all suicides are the result of depression and/or mental illness. I don't know enough about Bourdain to know what his specific situation was.

It is also the case that not all suicides are the result of depression and/or mental illness. I don't know enough about Bourdain to know what his specific situation was.
It takes a very intense emotional experience to overcome the survival instinct. Studies have shown that many people who attempt suicide have a neurological deficiency that impairs their decision making, such that even among the mentally ill, there are certain people who are more genetically susceptible to suicidal tendencies.

https://undark.org/article/suicidal-brain-biology-depression/

Back