• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

anthony bourdain kills himself

I read that media outlets were horrible at following the standards for reporting suicide. Focusing on how someone commits suicide with headlines like “Kate Spade hangs herself” could encourage others to do the same.

Fucking A. Sad man, just sad.

Also I echo PHs comments above on the Kate Spade thread.

This one sucks. Great personality and has definitely had a huge impact on the way I travel and eat.

I read that media outlets were horrible at following the standards for reporting suicide. Focusing on how someone commits suicide with headlines like “Kate Spade hangs herself” could encourage others to do the same.
Don't get it twisted - some news people get a strange little tinge of excitement learning of tragic deaths.

Oh definitely.

Here are the Recommendations for Reporting on Suicide. They make complete sense.

http://reportingonsuicide.org/recommendations/#important

———
Risk of additional suicides increases when the story explicitly describes the suicide method, uses dramatic/graphic headlines or images, and repeated/extensive coverage sensationalizes or glamorizes a death. ​Suicide Contagion, or"Copycat Suicide," occurs when one or more suicides are reported in a way that contributes to another suicide.

Covering suicide carefully, even briefly, can change public misperceptions and correct myths, which can encourage those who are vulnerable or at risk to seek help.
———-

When somebody can live a life like Anthony Bourdain, traveling the world and eating the best food and drink and meeting all kinds of people, and he still thinks suicide is the answer just shows how deep and complex mental illness/addiction is.

He was literally "The Most Interesting Man in the World" and he killed himself...Makes me very sad.

"Parts Unknown" is solid. Don't recall a bad episode...

WTF?!? I loved his show. Loved his irreverence and honesty. I know he was a junkie earlier in his life, but he was now married with a kid and appeared to be happy. This is horrible.

What a fucking bummer.

One of the few Americans who seemed to have a 100% approval rating.

When somebody can live a life like Anthony Bourdain, traveling the world and eating the best food and drink and meeting all kinds of people, and he still thinks suicide is the answer just shows how deep and complex mental illness/addiction is.

He was literally "The Most Interesting Man in the World" and he killed himself...Makes me very sad.

Yeah, well said. On the surface, he and Kate Spade seemed like they led the perfect life. Or at least an awesome life.

I never really watched his show because I don't need travel tips to Mongolia and have better things to do other than watch people eat on TV, but he seemed like a righteous dude. RIP.

I ate at a dingy noodle place in the Inner Sunset he featured on one of his shows (or so I was told by my lady friend at the time). It was pretty dope. I think I watched a couple eps of one of his shows and they were really good. Seemed like a cool guy. Probably smoked grass.

He was filming in Paris with Eric Ripert — they always made great TV together. Can’t imagine what Ripert is thinking right now.

I've never seen any of his shows, nor read any of his books, yet I'm a big fan. Mostly because he was certainly at the top of my "living the best life" list and he used his position for good.

Here's his Waffle House visit:

The odds of a child committing suicide increase greatly when a parent does.

We need to do a munch better job as a society creating an environment that people ask for help and having a system in place to get them that help.

Back