• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

TULANE Game

Just what I heard. Where do you think TU ranks ?

I’ve never found Tulane to be racist. I’ve witnessed institutional racism at the University of South Carolina and New York university in my opinion. But other than a bunch of New England students who live in a bubble and can occasionallyexhibit some well intentioned cluelessness, I’ve never really witness any racism to speak of on or around campus.

I was a post doc there for three years, and have been a Professor At a nearby University for the past eight. My wife has taught at Tulane for 11 years now

Well 30 years ago students were walking down the street in blackface. I guess that's stopped but leopards don't change their spots that easily.

Last edited:
30 years ago most every university in the south was covered with racism. Many still are. I see lessexamples at TU than most. And since 70% of the students these days come from New England, California, and Illinois, Tulane is very much a different place in almost all ways since 30 years ago (not just in terms of race). Those geographic/demographic changes don’t make them immune from race. Racism is everywhere and honestly I thought a lot of it in the Northeast. But speaking from my experience, racism is less of an issue at TU than anywhere I’ve been

Welp, that's definitely not what alums have told me. BTW, there was a protest on campus less than two years ago where students said they didn't even feel safe. The main building on campus is named for a Confederate general. The oldest buildings were likely built by slaves but the university won't open its records. I view NO as a place with incredibly entrenched institutional racism and Tulane as just a part of it.

Most every university in South has buildings named after bad people. Paul Tulane was a pretty bad person. So was commodore Vanderbilt, and Wake has some not pretty tobacco history. I don’t think any of that is really fair to aim at any of those three institutions today. New Orleans has a lot of complex race issues and not all of them are good, but the south in general could learn a lot from New Orleans in terms of race these days.

Meanwhile, “most racist” is it pretty darn big statement to make and back up, “people have told me”

My current University, 60 miles away, is named after a confederate general. I see a lot more problems with racism there Than i see at Tulane

All right, you've set me straight. Maybe it was only briefly the most racist university and I'm letting that stand in the way of objective thought.

I’m not trying to set you straight, nor even to say that my experience answer the question. Just to say that we all should be careful not to oversimplify complex issues like race with terms like “most recen i’m not trying to set you straight, nor even to say that my experience answer the question. Just to say that we all should be careful not to oversimplify complex issues like Ralph terms like “most racist”. Racism is a complex and ever present Issue, and it’s best treated as such. No institution is immune if it

My current University, 60 miles away, is named after a confederate general. I see a lot more problems with racism there Than i see at Tulane

May have something to do with the fact that the school is named after a confederate general.

Most every university in South has buildings named after bad people. Paul Tulane was a pretty bad person. So was commodore Vanderbilt, and Wake has some not pretty tobacco history. I don’t think any of that is really fair to aim at any of those three institutions today. New Orleans has a lot of complex race issues and not all of them are good, but the south in general could learn a lot from New Orleans in terms of race these days.

Meanwhile, “most racist” is it pretty darn big statement to make and back up, “people have told me”

Bad people? By your standards. Today's standards. Actions were wrong but bad people is a value judgement by the PC police. The same people who abort 60 million babies get wring up over a Confederate General. Which one is bad? Are they both "bad"? He who is without sin cast the first stone.

Hey Waveprof, for the game - I’m not seeing an easy way to park etc.

my wife and I are going to hit Cure at 5 via cab, and then walk to Yulman. Also staying at The Ace Hotel. Seems like parking is just brutal. They’ll give you the hotel room if you pay them for parking. Any suggestions per taking in the Tulane vib?

Welp, that's definitely not what alums have told me. BTW, there was a protest on campus less than two years ago where students said they didn't even feel safe. The main building on campus is named for a Confederate general. The oldest buildings were likely built by slaves but the university won't open its records. I view NO as a place with incredibly entrenched institutional racism and Tulane as just a part of it.

You might find The Accidental City by Lawrence Powell a good read overall on the founding and early development of New Orleans and its unique history - especially with race- under french, Spanish and post-revolution America. Not that your view is wrong,but race is complicated in the US. Learn something about natives too. Great read, but hey this a football thread. We don't need no friggin' books.

TAilgating is on the main quad and usually really fun, though it might be more subdued with weekday game. You can walk around campus with alcohol, but no glass. Parking for football, if you don’t know your way around neighborhood parking is tough. I recommend streetcar, taxi, or Uber. Not sure I would try to Cure at five with kickoff army 7

Boy, did this thread get away from the game.

Fwiw, my roommate at Wake went to law school at Tulane. I went to visit him for a couple of Mardis Gras. What a blast. Couldn't do it now. Don't have the stamina for 10 hours of sleep over 4 days.
Anyway, I've been to NO several times on business since Katrina including twice last year. NO has its challenges, but can be a fun place if you know where to go.
Thanks Waveprof for all the restaurant info. Good stuff.

Great info, waveprof. We have a few ongoing New Orleans travel threads. Feel free to do a search and make some recommendations. I go every three years so I appreciate the recs.

Well 30 years ago students were walking down the street in blackface. I guess that's stopped but leopards don't change their spots that easily.

Roughly 30 years ago the Kappa Sigs at Wake Forest finally stopped hosting their “Five Screaming N———“ party complete with brothers in blackface

PS The more I think about it the more I think you could do cure at five and still make the game with plenty of time. But it doesn’t leave you much time if you want to walk around campus and the tailgate

Back