• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clemson kickoff set for 3:30

ESPN posted an insider article about top 10 impact freshmen and its on the WF page but I can't read it. Does it include anyone from Wake or is it on every team's page?

ESPN posted an insider article about top 10 impact freshmen and its on the WF page but I can't read it. Does it include anyone from Wake or is it on every team's page?

We're now through five weeks of the season, which has given us a better glimpse at the impact true freshmen have been able to make on their programs. While it isn't a clear picture of how their seasons will play out, we've had noteworthy standouts already in September.

1. S Caden Sterns, Texas

Sterns was an ESPN 300 prospect, ranked No. 39 overall, and was a big part of the Longhorns' 2018 recruiting class. He enrolled early and has already shown his value to this young team on defense. He leads the team in interceptions with three, ranks sixth on the team in tackles and has even blocked a field goal this season. His stats don't tell the whole picture, though, as he has already emerged as a leader for this defense, providing a much-needed spark on a unit that struggled last season. Sterns is a big part of why Texas is off to a 4-1 start and making noise in the Big 12.

2. QB Trevor Lawrence, Clemson

Lawrence's stats might not be eye-popping, but that's because he split time the first four games with Kelly Bryant, who decided to transfer after coach Dabo Swinney named Lawrence the starter the Tigers' fourth game. Lawrence was injured early in this past weekend's game, and the Tigers needed a late push to escape unranked Syracuse. Lawrence could be limited going forward, but his impact in September was felt. He has already shown what the coaches saw in him on the recruiting trail, when he was the No. 2 overall prospect in the class. Lawrence gives Clemson its best shot at a national championship if the Tigers can make it back to that final game.

3. RB Pooka Williams Jr., Kansas

Williams has been named the Big-12's newcomer of the week twice this season and became the Jayhawks' first freshman to open his career with back-to-back 100-yard rushing games. Kansas is 2-3 on the season, but that's already one more win than the team had all of 2017. That is in large part because of Williams' performances thus far. Williams ranks 21st in rushing yards among all FBS players and has four rushing touchdowns as well. He has been electric for Kansas, averaging 7.9 yards per rush through his first five games and a first down on 25 percent of his carries. Without Williams on this roster, this could be a very different team.

4. QB Alan Bowman, Texas Tech

Texas Tech lost senior quarterback Nic Shimonek after last season and was looking for a new quarterback to take over. Bowman filled in the first game against Ole Miss after McLane Carter went down with an injury and has been the guy ever since. So far, Bowman has completed 69.3 percent of his passes for 1,680 yards, which is third-most of any FBS quarterback. He has thrown 11 touchdowns and three interceptions on the season, helping the Red Raiders to a 3-2 record. In those two losses, Texas Tech scored a combined 61 points but gave up a combined 89. A three-star prospect from Grapevine, Texas, Bowman had offers from Columbia and Dartmouth, among others, but ultimately chose Texas Tech. Bowman unfortunately suffered a partially collapsed lung in Tech's most recent game against West Virginia after being sandwiched between two defenders.

5. WR Amon-Ra St. Brown, USC

St. Brown has been a big part of USC's offense this season, helping fellow freshman quarterback JT Daniels settle in. St. Brown has been reliable so far when his former high school teammate has thrown his way, catching 71.4 of his targets with only a 2.9 percent drop rate. The Trojans' offense hasn't been great this season, but it would likely be worse without St. Brown on the roster. As St. Brown and Daniels both get more comfortable in the system and gain more chemistry, the talented receiver should only make a bigger impact.

6. DB Andre Cisco, Syracuse

Cisco enrolled early at Syracuse and started to distinguish himself very early on. He turned heads in fall camp and is starting to hear his name mentioned more and more throughout the season. The Orange are 4-1 on the season, and Cisco is a big reason why the team's defense is ranked third in defense-adjusted QBR among all FBS teams and 12th in interception-to-pass attempt ratio. Cisco has accounted for half of his team's interceptions and leads all FBS defenders, with four on the season. He is becoming a leader on the defense, despite his youth, and has had a tremendous impact on the team's success so far.

7. QB Sam Hartman, Wake Forest

Quarterback John Wolford completed 63.9 percent of his passes for 3,192 yards and 29 touchdowns last season for Wake Forest. Wolford is gone now, and the Demon Deacons needed someone to step up and lead the team in his wake. Hartman has been a little up and down in his attempt to do that, throwing for 10 touchdowns but also five interceptions. Hartman was the No. 49-ranked quarterback in the 2018 class out of Cornelius, North Carolina, and only had offers from Charlotte, Elon and Wake Forest out of high school, but he has proven recruiters and scouts wrong so far in his collegiate debut, throwing for 1,185 yards and showing strong command of that offense.

8. DB Patrick Surtain II, Alabama

Alabama lost the majority of its secondary from last season, which is why it was such a big deal when Surtain chose the Tide over LSU late in the recruiting process. He was the No. 5-ranked prospect in the class and someone the coaches were hoping could provide help early. It didn't start out spectacularly for Surtain, but he has started to show what the coaches saw on his high school film in a long, rangy defensive back who can cover a lot of ground. Surtain has one interception and four pass breakups on the season and made his first start in Alabama's 45-23 win over Texas A&M. Surtain is the only freshman who started for Alabama against the Aggies and in the following game against Louisiana. His ability to make plays and the trust the staff has in him to not make mistakes are earning him more and more playing time and adding more value to the roster.

9. WR Rondale Moore, Purdue

Moore burst onto the scene with an impressive performance in the first game of the season against Northwestern, with 109 yards receiving and 79 yards on the ground. The Boilermakers are only 2-3, but without Moore it could be worse. He had a connection with coach Jeff Brohm already, attending the same high school as Brohm, and fits in with Brohm's offense perfectly. Moore has already accounted for 44.5 percent of the team's receiving touchdowns and has made a big impact on the offense as a whole.

10. WR Anthony Schwartz, Auburn

The Auburn offense doesn't rank very high in many categories, so it's only natural that Schwartz's numbers don't stand out. But he has made a big impact. He was one of the fastest prospects in the 2018 class and has brought that speed to the Tigers' offense. Schwartz has hopes of one day running in the Olympics and has posted a 10.07 in the 100-meter dash in the past. Schwartz has been part of three of Auburn's longest plays on the season and is averaging 20.4 yards per catch with 163 yards on eight receptions to go along with three touchdowns. His impact has not just been in the passing game, but also on the ground. He should see his numbers increase, with the speed that he has, as he gets more and more comfortable in his role on the team.

Honorable mention

Penn State linebacker Micah Parsons is fifth on the team in total tackles this season and has helped fill a hole on the defense so far. The former five-star has played in all five games and looks as though he is continuing to improve game by game.

Arizona State linebacker Merlin Robertson has already earned national defensive player of the week honors this season and has been a big part of the Sun Devils' defense. Robertson has 30 tackles, which leads the team, and three sacks in the first five games.

Someone posted aink to last werks radio show is there one for this week's?

Dabo is generally a class act when it comes to purposely running up a score on a weaker opponent. But again I predict that if Clemson has the game in hand they will still try to score to get some confidence and swagger going, and impress the pollsters and committee. They have a lot to prove. This is a make it or break it game for Clemson. They need a complete dominating performance to spark the rest of their season. I can definitely see their defense shutting us down, them running the ball a lot to wear us down, and making some big plays in the pass game. They will give Lawrence all the snaps he needs to gain game experience and the starter's confidence, and if Brice comes in to mop up don't be surprised if he throws the ball a bit too. Clemson is past the point where sleepwalking thru an undefeated season is good enough. Sloppy wins over BC, Syracuse, Wake Forest, Louisville, NC State, and either Miami, VT, or Duke aren't going to inspire anybody to vote for them. If we somehow keep the game near the spread then all credit to us, and a legit panic mode for Clemson going forward. They are playing well below expectations so far this season.

In terms of wagering on the Clemson side of this one... The line would have me really worried about a back door cover for Wake. Clemson up big in the 2nd half pulls Lawrence and Wake scores a late TD to make a blowout look respectable.

Think something like 31-10 at halftime that turns into a 38-24 victory for the Tigers.

No way I wager on this one (on either side).

I’d like last year’s team as a back door cover - Not so sure about this year. Hartman trying to throw on evry down against an NFL defense doesn’t sound like a great idea.

Dabo is generally a class act when it comes to purposely running up a score on a weaker opponent. But again I predict that if Clemson has the game in hand they will still try to score to get some confidence and swagger going, and impress the pollsters and committee. They have a lot to prove. This is a make it or break it game for Clemson. They need a complete dominating performance to spark the rest of their season. I can definitely see their defense shutting us down, them running the ball a lot to wear us down, and making some big plays in the pass game. They will give Lawrence all the snaps he needs to gain game experience and the starter's confidence, and if Brice comes in to mop up don't be surprised if he throws the ball a bit too. Clemson is past the point where sleepwalking thru an undefeated season is good enough. Sloppy wins over BC, Syracuse, Wake Forest, Louisville, NC State, and either Miami, VT, or Duke aren't going to inspire anybody to vote for them. If we somehow keep the game near the spread then all credit to us, and a legit panic mode for Clemson going forward. They are playing well below expectations so far this season.

Exactly. Again, ND is in the mix, so they don't simply have to better than the Pac-12 and Big XII champs to get in. Could definitely see Clemson getting left out behind the SEC champs, SEC or SEC West runner-up, Ohio State, and Oklahoma or ND.

I think Clemson will lose a game and take themselves out of contention though.

In terms of wagering on the Clemson side of this one... The line would have me really worried about a back door cover for Wake. Clemson up big in the 2nd half pulls Lawrence and Wake scores a late TD to make a blowout look respectable.

Think something like 31-10 at halftime that turns into a 38-24 victory for the Tigers.

No way I wager on this one (on either side).

Well, I pretty much nailed this. I just should have posted it on the NFL thread, since it was what the Pats just did to the Colts.

21 point halftime lead, 38-24 final after a meaningless Colts TD at the end.

Different line, though.

Exactly. Again, ND is in the mix, so they don't simply have to better than the Pac-12 and Big XII champs to get in. Could definitely see Clemson getting left out behind the SEC champs, SEC or SEC West runner-up, Ohio State, and Oklahoma or ND.

I think Clemson will lose a game and take themselves out of contention though.

I'm not sure when the last season was that had four unbeaten major conference teams, but it was definitely a while ago

I don’t think there need to be four unbeatens for the above to happen.

I think the ACC is so weak that a one loss Clemson would probably fall behind one loss OSU and OU.

Don't disagree with that part, though Oklahoma would be close. But based on your second sentence I was assuming you had Clemson going undefeated yet getting left at home. The odds on that are extremely low

I think undefeated Clemson would be below undefeated Ohio State, SEC Champ Bama and SEC runner-up one loss UGA. It would be close with an undefeated ND which is why I think Clemson won’t take it easy on us.

I’d like last year’s team as a back door cover - Not so sure about this year. Hartman trying to throw on evry down against an NFL defense doesn’t sound like a great idea.

Culd dey beet tha browns?!?!?

databank_jarjarbinks_01_169_c70767ab.jpeg
trevor-lawrence-clemson-775x465.png

Back