• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Things I have heard

Considering our dearth of talented (or experienced), physical interior players, not to mention just an overall lack of size (not just height but width), it will not be a surprise to see this team struggle on the glass. Just is what it is, no matter how much these players try to "Rodman" their way to more loose balls. Maybe Sarr's and Hoard's long arms will help mitigate the problem, but I wouldn't expect boxing out technique to be our rebounding salvation with Manning as HC. His defensive philosophy, if you recall, is simply "guard your damn man." Good luck!

Last year's team was more talented, yet I think this team will play harder and be easier to root for (well, as easy as it is to root for a team that goes 5-13 in the ACC).

You think we're going to win five games in conference? Honestly I'm just curious...which five?

KP has the Deacs going 5-13 in the conference.

There are a more weak teams in the ACC this year than last. Pitt, BC and GT all are hurting. Then, there are a tier of teams better than WF, but WF could win one of those games like the win over FSU last year (State, L'ville, Miami. FSU, Notre Dame). That said, if you feel strongly that WF is going to go 2-16 or 3-15 in the ACC, not going to argue with you as not going to feel all that different about a 5-13 team versus a 3-15 team.

the NBA

My early take on the basketball players individually and as a team are based on what some people in the basketball program and others involved in basketball, but not directly connected to the program any longer and are pretty close to each other. This is based on their observations, not mine.

Team wise defense is perhaps a little better with more length making opponents having fewer clean open shots.
Rebounding is poor and will likely be an issue all season
Offense will be a work in progress with shooting being good some nights and bad others, probably more bad than good though
Pray, and pray hard, that Brandon stays healthy
Good quickness and athleticism
Expect to see many lineup combos that are very small in stature

Individuals

Brandon- Will have to stay healthy and out of foul trouble. Needs to attack the gaps in the defense and not get too deep driving to the hoop
Torry Johnson- Won't be much of a factor offensively but does play decent defense
Chaundee- Needs to take the step up which people are expecting/hoping for, so far still questionable
Mike Wynn- Good shooter but has some footwork issues and is limited (especially laterally) athletically. Not much of a rebounder or defender
Ikenna Smart- Very strong but not very skilled. Will get in foul trouble a lot against ACC level competition
Hoard- Very skilled but can try to force things and will make freshman mistakes
Jamie Lewis is just not ready yet which hurts us depth wise at the PG spot. Has skill but his 18 months away from playing has been damaging
Sarr- Definitely stronger but not a volume rebounder and will appear MIA at times. Still could be out 2nd best player
Mucius- Just not strong at all and is a streaky shooter
Wright- Has to get stronger but has some really good skill and plays with a high motor. Shot is inconsistent but has good form on it
Okeke- Still big and strong but has not developed much

Starters for the ECU scrimmage and likely to start the season are Sarr, Hoard, Brandon, Chaundee and Wright Jr. 1st off the bench will depend of foul trouble, poor play, matchups etc will be Mucius ,Johnson, Smart or Wynn. Minutes will change but my guess would be:

Brandon-33 all PG
Hoard- 32- 22PF, PG5, SF4
Chaundee-30 -24SG 6SF
Sarr 35- 28C 7PF
Wright- 22- 15SF 7SG
Mucius- 10PF
Johnson- 10 8SG 2PG
Wynn- 10- 8SF 2SG
Smart- 6C

I know the minutes don't add up exactly but the "deep down the bench", walkons will get the remainder. This will b a very young team but one of the more athletic at Wake in several years

Which one of those guys will be going to the NBA next year?

Plus Manning doesn't recruit diversity. Every year some slow white kid burns us fo 20 points or more.

He's a shitty enough coach without making up new ways for him to suck.

My early take on the basketball players individually and as a team are based on what some people in the basketball program and others involved in basketball, but not directly connected to the program any longer and are pretty close to each other. This is based on their observations, not mine.

Team wise defense is perhaps a little better with more length making opponents having fewer clean open shots.
Rebounding is poor and will likely be an issue all season
Offense will be a work in progress with shooting being good some nights and bad others, probably more bad than good though
Pray, and pray hard, that Brandon stays healthy
Good quickness and athleticism
Expect to see many lineup combos that are very small in stature

Individuals

Brandon- Will have to stay healthy and out of foul trouble. Needs to attack the gaps in the defense and not get too deep driving to the hoop
Torry Johnson- Won't be much of a factor offensively but does play decent defense
Chaundee- Needs to take the step up which people are expecting/hoping for, so far still questionable
Mike Wynn- Good shooter but has some footwork issues and is limited (especially laterally) athletically. Not much of a rebounder or defender
Ikenna Smart- Very strong but not very skilled. Will get in foul trouble a lot against ACC level competition
Hoard- Very skilled but can try to force things and will make freshman mistakes
Jamie Lewis is just not ready yet which hurts us depth wise at the PG spot. Has skill but his 18 months away from playing has been damaging
Sarr- Definitely stronger but not a volume rebounder and will appear MIA at times. Still could be out 2nd best player
Mucius- Just not strong at all and is a streaky shooter
Wright- Has to get stronger but has some really good skill and plays with a high motor. Shot is inconsistent but has good form on it
Okeke- Still big and strong but has not developed much

Starters for the ECU scrimmage and likely to start the season are Sarr, Hoard, Brandon, Chaundee and Wright Jr. 1st off the bench will depend of foul trouble, poor play, matchups etc will be Mucius ,Johnson, Smart or Wynn. Minutes will change but my guess would be:

Brandon-33 all PG
Hoard- 32- 22PF, PG5, SF4
Chaundee-30 -24SG 6SF
Sarr 35- 28C 7PF
Wright- 22- 15SF 7SG
Mucius- 10PF
Johnson- 10 8SG 2PG
Wynn- 10- 8SF 2SG
Smart- 6C

I know the minutes don't add up exactly but the "deep down the bench", walkons will get the remainder. This will b a very young team but one of the more athletic at Wake in several years

No disrespect to the author, but this could have been written by a boards bot.

If the word on the street about Wright is true, it reminds me of when LD started his freshman year as a relatively low ranked recruit. I’d be happy if he could live up to that.

FWIW, Rivals had LD as the #131 recruit in the nation. Way higher than Sharone's. Hopefully he's legit and proves his 297 composite ranking wrong.

FWIW, Rivals had LD as the #131 recruit in the nation. Way higher than Sharone's. Hopefully he's legit and proves his 297 composite ranking wrong.

I've seen multiple people point to "projects" like LD and Levy under previous coaches in other, less reality based, forums to justify Manning's recruiting.

Good lord, looking back through 2006 recruiting rankings is crazy. We swung and missed on so many huge prospects, and still ended up with a solid class. How nice would that feel these days?

We ended up with the 16th ranked class in the nation (5th in ACC) made up of (composite rank):

Gurley (70)
Ish (110)
LD (124)
Chas (132)
Crawford (297)

Misses from my memory of being at least in the running and 247 "interest" (composite rank):

Oden (1)
Wayne Ellington (9)
Javaris Crittendon (11)
Daequan Cook (14)
Gerald Henderson (15)
Mike Conley (22)
Duke Crews (25)
Lance Thomas (27)
DJ Augustin (35)
Scottie Reynolds (51)
Jerry Smith (60)

Just imagine if we hadn't made those Wanted posters. Would have had the nuber 1 class in the land. Way to go, boards.

Deman had us thinking on Premium Jerry Smith was a super silent verbal for several months.

Back