• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

I’m just wondering why it’s okay for taxpayers to subsidize LK’s house and not my student loans.
You can get a limited deduction on your student loan interest. A comparable subsidy would be to expand that deduction. Student loan forgiveness would be equivalent as if the government was making your house payments for you

Last edited:
Stupid poors buying too much education.

A subsidy or tax break is not at all the same completely forgiving a debt. I have no problem with giving the same tax breaks for college loans as you get for mortgages.

If we cancel all student debt, should we also cancel all debts for people who borrowed money to start a family business? If the reason for going to college is to get a better job and future, why is that different than opening a coffee shop or cabinet maker?

Should rich kids get debt forgiveness?

Your healthcare and retirement are being subsidized by the government. They are literally giving you free money.

Why shouldn’t younger generations get those same advantages.

Your healthcare and retirement are being subsidized by the government. They are literally giving you free money.

Why shouldn’t younger generations get those same advantages.

Absolute crap. We've paid into the system for over forty years.

When the younger generation pays into a college fund for decades, they should get the same rights.

You can get a limited deduction on your student loan interest. A comparable subsidy would be to expand that deduction. Student loan forgiveness would be equivalent as if the government was making your house payments for you

No, I don't but in the event I buy way too much home I look forward to the government stepping in and wiping out my mortgage for me.

Fair. As long as y’all would be into a Student Loan Interest Deduction, then we’re close enough.

LK, you rent?

Absolute crap. We've paid into the system for over forty years.

When the younger generation pays into a college fund for decades, they should get the same rights.

You receive more than you pay in.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-...re-and-social-security-what-you-paid-what-yo/

6e3dbb08ba8e9a972510d3305c046edc.jpg

Depends on how long you live. There are tens of millions who never got anything because they died too young.

But this is totally irrelevant. You want something for free versus something that is at least partially paid for.

Again, why should student loans be forgiven but loans to start businesses not be forgiven?

So you would be ok if loans that have been partially been paid back are forgiven?

So you would be ok if loans that have been partially been paid back are forgiven?

Nope. One is something you pay into and might get back. The other is asking for something for nothing.

Are you OK with forgiving all business start-up loans if they don't feel like paying them back or have paid part of their loans back?

Why should student loans be forgiven but not business loans?

What other loans should be forgiven?

Nope. One is something you pay into and might get back. The other is asking for something for nothing.

Are you OK with forgiving all business start-up loans if they don't feel like paying them back or have paid part of their loans back?

Why should student loans be forgiven but not business loans?

What other loans should be forgiven?

So you got yours for free. Screw every one else.

Thanks boomers!

This thread has opened my eyes. Not counting part time jobs and stuff I did before graduation, I paid into the system for 41 years. I paid the max FICA over thirty of those years. My wife paid into the system for over twenty-five years, paying the FICA max for at least half of them. The $722K the article references as lifetime taxes paid by a married couple with an average income of $44K each is probably way too low for us.

But you know what? I’ll settle for that. Write me a check for $722K and I will never darken your governmental payout doorstep again. I do not want to be accused of accepting more money than I have paid.

I would think younger generations should be content with the same deal. Just get paid for what you put in. What could be fairer?

It seems like most of the complains about addressing student loan debt comes from people whose college education was so cheap and/or subsidized that either their parents could pay for it or they could work part time over the summer to pay for it with no debt. But somehow the worst thing in the world for be for younger people to have it as good as they did.

$100k in retirement pay and health benefits.

I assume you’re referring to the amount the article you linked states that RJ will receive in benefits over the course of his lifetime as compared with what he paid. That remains to be seen, but he doesn’t get it all at once. Right? Would it be OK to forgive student loans at the same rate?

So you got yours for free. Screw every one else.

Thanks boomers!

I didn't get mine for free nor did any other boomer. We had to pay for our education.

We also had to pay into Social Security and Medicare.

Shorty, how about the interest on the $722K you paid in?

BTW, his wife would have left him if he only made $44K/year.

I assume you’re referring to the amount the article you linked states that RJ will receive in benefits over the course of his lifetime as compared with what he paid. That remains to be seen, but he doesn’t get it all at once. Right? Would it be OK to forgive student loans at the same rate?

I haven't taken a penny from Social Security or Medicare.

District still won't answer whether loans people took out to start businesses to improve their earning power should have those loans 100% forgiven like he wants to have his student loans forgiven. People take out student loans to improve their earning power. Why shouldn't both be forgiven?

Back