• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

Nah. We are all witnessing first hand that nearly all elected Republicans are devoid of morals/ethics. I just am cautiously optimistic that Roberts isn't that way.

And Roberts was maligned as a right wing stooge when Bush appointed him, too.

I think we all trust institutions on here, but Trump and the Republican Party doesn’t give a shit about institutions. I’m with Shoo - I’m cautiously optimistic, but honestly won’t be surprised when yet another principled conservative caves to Trump’s will.

This horseshoe theory is still dumb, y’all.

NC is definitely in play. Tillis isn’t very popular with far right folks and the left is pretty motivated against him. Trump may give him a bump, but he’s vulnerable.

So you're saying far right folks will turn out for the primary to vote for a total rube like Mark Walker who will get people to turn out to vote for Trump in the genreal ? Yeah.

So you're saying far right folks will turn out for the primary to vote for a total rube like Mark Walker who will get people to turn out to vote for Trump in the genreal ? Yeah.

I think NC leans red statewide right now and will most likely elect a Republican senator.

I do not think the margin of that lean is insurmountable.

Some far right people view Tillis as not a true Trump republican.

I don’t believe that that number is sufficient to successfully primary Tillis.

Some of those purity of doctrine Trump voters will not vote for Tillis in a general.

If someone successfully primaries Tillis from the right, that candidate will turn off some of the Republican base.

Given that the narrow margin of pub lean in NC And Tillis being a not particularly well liked candidate, a decent Dem candidate has a chance in NC, making it in play.

It is most likely going Pub, but maybe you should use pencil not pen.

I agree with IAT's NC analysis. In order of likelihood, I'd rate the Pub seats in this order: CO, AZ, NC, ME then IA.

The Dems should run on a slogan of "I Believe in America not Russia".

The Dems should run on a slogan of "I Believe in America not Russia".

Game changer.

Speaking of slogans, I wonder why the Trump campaign was the first to use the slogan "America First" in 75 years.

based on events in your home town, i don't really think the second statement is true.

It's still mostly frowned upon, however a bunch of these knuckle draggers have come out of the woodwork in the last few years, and they've been emboldened by Trump. I was pointing out that his was the first campaign in 75 years (that I know of) that used the slogan "America First". And that's not a coincidence. The America First Committee was a collection of right wing groups, including the American Bund, back in the late 30s and early 40s. I believe Charles Lindbergh was a member. They were open Hitler and nazi sympathizers and advocated for neutrality and against the Roosevelt administration assisting the English. But after a certain date of infamy, they kinda disbanded and mostly weren't heard from again. Though a handful were prosecuted for helping the German cause during the war. But Hitler and the holocaust gave nazis a bad name. At least for a couple of generations. (And if you haven't seen it, watch the movie "Conspiracy" starring Kenneth Branagh as Heydrich and Stanley Tucci as Eichmann - it's essentially a 1 act play based on a set of notes discovered about the Wannsee Conference.)

Now does Trump know this? I'd guess not, though I have no doubt that the Steves know the history of this phrase and have encouraged its use.

Making the election about the continued litigation of Russian election meddling is playing into Trump's hands.

Well Congress can’t just ignore the Mueller report and let Trump get away with effectively ending House oversight.

Yep.

So far Trump/Barr seem to be winning the response to the investigation with continued lying and even tacking further into offense.

We need to hear directly from Mueller see how he answers some pointed questions.

Real problem remains that a Pubs don’t seem to care about the truth or upholding the law or ongoing erosion of congressional power or getting needed shit done.

I heard a historian put it like this. Republicans were wary of the executive branch having too much power until they lost control of Congress but were still winning the presidency. They don’t have a set philosophy on separation of powers and checks and balances. They just want power for themselves.

Chides NED for posting article about lesser candidate for 2020 nomination. Starts post about a first term congresswomen who won't even be eligible to run for president constitutionally for 6 years.

You’re gonna have to vote for her, too! It’s gonna be great!

Back