• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

And I believe that is what Wellman fears as well ... and will result in Danny being granted one extra year. Hope I'm wrong.

If he decides to keep a coach who has managed three 20 loss seasons and a 19 loss season out of 5 seasons, because he is scared of losing some players that just played on a 20 loss team, then he is even dumber than we think ... and we already know he is pretty damn dumb.

The $1.8M is pre-extension as it is from the form 990 for fiscal year ending June 2017. The extension occurred that fall.

I don’t think this is accurate. His bump from 2017 to 2018/19 is reflected. That’s the extension kicking in.

4 years left at ~$2mil per does not equal $18mil.

Not even close.

I remain convinced that, while it’s higher than it should be, it won’t keep us from firing Manning and making a good hire.

Agreed, he has done a great job. As I've posted before, the turn around job that Odom has done at UMBC is absolutely amazing...just look at what they were before he arrived and since. And as MichDeac25 pointed out, they lost a ton from last year to this year...most of their best players that beat UVA...and still are playing in the conference championship this year. I don't know if they'll beat Vermont Saturday...likely not at their place for a 3rd time in a row. But Vermont had beaten UMBC 20+ times in a row and then Odom shows up and has won 3 in a row v. them now. And of course there is still the fact that he has Power 6 assistant coaching experience too.

Racer at it again with Odom hate. And cherry-picking the data. Racer, are you a Shaka fan? Curious how many conference championships he's won? And you always fall back on that KenPom stuff...so let's just go out and hire Pat Chambers because 14-17 Penn State is ranked in the Top 40. It is a ridiculous system that tries to compare apples and oranges.

I agree Odom has done a good job at UMBC and am rooting for them to win their conference again. That said, he'd be low down on my choices because UMBC to the ACC is a huge jump. I'd have him below Grant and Miller. That said, I don't get some of the Miller and Odom hate on this board. Both are good young coaches.

So basically Clawson is drastically underpaid, and Manning and Wellman are drastically overpaid.

I agree Odom has done a good job at UMBC and am rooting for them to win their conference again. That said, he'd be low down on my choices because UMBC to the ACC is a huge jump. I'd have him below Grant and Miller. That said, I don't get some of the Miller and Odom hate on this board. Both are good young coaches.

He's not my top choice either. But in that mid-major range, I'd lean Odom more than Miller for sure. I like Odom's ACC assistant coaching experience that Miller lacks. Grant is an interesting one...he has that assistant experience and has done a similar turnaround at Charleston. Although they do have a history of being a once proud program...UMBC has almost never been good until now. I still like Matta and Oats best though.

Clawson's at $1.8M or so? I'd say that's about where he should be until he gets an 8 win regular season and/or starts getting looks from other programs.

LOL. No. He was fired after being given 4 years and the recruiting looking like absolute crap.

Manning got 5. Did you see the presser when ronnie was visibly pissed he had to announce the "resignation" ?? His hand was forced. Plenty of talk at the time that giving had stopped.

Keep lowf'ing with your "coaching search."

If we even consider Odom, we should drop out of the ACC as we aren't trying to win.

I don’t think this is accurate. His bump from 2017 to 2018/19 is reflected. That’s the extension kicking in.

4 years left at ~$2mil per does not equal $18mil.

Not even close.

I remain convinced that, while it’s higher than it should be, it won’t keep us from firing Manning and making a good hire.

It's 6 years left, is it not? Everything I've seen has said through the 2024-2025 season, which would be more than 4 years left.

2019-2020
2020-2021
2021-2022
2022-2023
2023-2024
2024-2025

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...n-head-coach-danny-manning-contract-extension

https://247sports.com/college/wake-forest/Board/103621/Contents/Manning-Contract-tidbit--125506471/

Clawson's at $1.8M or so? I'd say that's about where he should be until he gets an 8 win regular season and/or starts getting looks from other programs.

Again, we don't really know what the extension pays. It was announced in January of 2017 so we should have a partial view it from the 990 ending June 2017, but that shows almost identical comp as the previous year's 990 so maybe the extension didn't start paying until the next fiscal year or beginning of the next season or something like that.

He's not my top choice either. But in that mid-major range, I'd lean Odom more than Miller for sure. I like Odom's ACC assistant coaching experience that Miller lacks. Grant is an interesting one...he has that assistant experience and has done a similar turnaround at Charleston. Although they do have a history of being a once proud program...UMBC has almost never been good until now. I still like Matta and Oats best though.

It’s amazing to me that people can believe this

It's 6 years left, is it not? Everything I've seen has said through the 2024-2025 season, which would be more than 4 years left.

2019-2020
2020-2021
2021-2022
2022-2023
2023-2024
2024-2025

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...n-head-coach-danny-manning-contract-extension

https://247sports.com/college/wake-forest/Board/103621/Contents/Manning-Contract-tidbit--125506471/

It's hard to say anything is for sure since WFU did not announce the duration itself. When it announced Clawsons deal, its duration was described starting from when it was signed (not from when it the original contract ended). The opposite language is being used in those two links (where the 6 year extension is assumed as starting from the end of the current contract). Hard to know what was provided to Goodman, whether or not he had to make an assumption about the start date, and whether or not that assumption was right.

Frankly, if Manning is kept, one of our media members should really ask how long he is under contract for. And, probably also worth asking why that duration wasn't announced when the contract was announced.

An older form 990.

Manning is listed in three form 990's:
Year ending June 2017: $1.793M
Year ending June 2016: $1.713M
Year ending June 2015: $1.275M

Unless we top-secretly extended him after his first year, the bump would have been structured into his original contract. Either because we were still paying [Redacted] or had to pay a buyout to Tulsa.

Kudos Lurker....excellent spade work that USAToday didn't do:thumbsup:

UMBC isn’t good now either. Their best ever rating under Odom is 166 but yeah they beat the top team once.

Miller is better than Odom in almost every way.

UMBC isn’t good now either. Their best ever rating under Odom is 166 but yeah they beat the top team once.

Miller is better than Odom in almost every way.

And if Currie hires either of them, he will have earned g an F in his first hire and shown he shouldn't have gotten the job.

$1.8 million is not what Clawson should make.

Here is the list of all salaries of FBS Coaches: http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

As of this past season, $1.8 million puts Clawson last in the ACC, just ahead of Mike Bobo (Colorado State) and Tom Allen of Indiana. Just behind Jonathan Smith of Oregon State.

In 2018, Mike Bobo of Colorado State went 3-9 in a non-Power 5 conference.

Tom Allen has a 10-15 record at Indiana going 5-7 last year (he is 0-1 versus Clawson).

John Smith went 2-10 at Oregon State last year.

The next lowest paid coach in the ACC, Dino Babers made $2.4 million last year. Addazio, Fedora and Cut made $2.5 million. Doeren, Narduzzi and Paul Johnson made $3 million plus.

So, hope WF bumped up Clawson's salary to at least make what the bottom tier ACC coaches make. The fact that Doeren almost doubles Clawson salary is a joke.

Back