• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

If HOF Wes was from Idaho and coaching at Montana, he wouldn't be on the radar.

The same way every university will, by having policies in place that make sure maneuvers like the one the Volleyball coach made set off an alarm.
I'm not sure very many people could have conceived of a D1 athletic coach squandering one of his valuable recruited walk-on spots at very academically-strong university, especially when his job is on the line, for cash. Very unusual situation.

99% of coaches use that spot for a stellar athlete who happens to be a mediocre student.

Last edited:
I think the alarm would be if the student was on the wait list then all of a sudden was getting recruited to play volleyball.

Not wrong at all. Neither of those guys have any business as Wake's HC at this point in time. You don't rebuild a program with a nobody. Wes Miler has not accomplished much of anything in a mediocre conference. He has ZERO P6 experience. He ZERO wins against Top 25 teams in 25 attempts.

Without DR man crush, he wouldn't be considered on this board.

This.

How would people feel about Anthony Grant?

He did great at VCU, was pretty mediocre at Alabama*, and has done a nice job so far at Dayton.

*It isn't like Alabama is a particularly easy place to do well at, particularly if you aren't cheating your face-off (e.g. Gottfried). Grant's best team was 27th and his worst was 86th. That's probably your most Weber like hire out there.

Think I'd rather have Earl than Anthony. Anthony struggled at Bama, and Shaka took VCU up a level from where Grant had them. As for Dayton, he inherited a solid team from Miller, so I don't think we can grade him on how he's done there yet.

I think the alarm would be if the student was on the wait list then all of a sudden was getting recruited to play volleyball.
Honestly, I'm not sure this is that unusual. I have a number of friends that were being unofficially recruited at various stages of the admissions process.

I can also see how this scenario could be entirely above board: coach waits to see if strong but not stellar student can get in on their own before using one of their recruited walk on spots on them.

Think I'd rather have Earl than Anthony. Anthony struggled at Bama, and Shaka took VCU up a level from where Grant had them. As for Dayton, he inherited a solid team from Miller, so I don't think we can grade him on how he's done there yet.

I don't think you can use what Smart did at VCU as a knock against Grant. Grant did elevate the program and helped make Shaka's success possible. Basically, Capel turned it into a winning program; Grant turned it into the best program in the conference, and Smart turned it into one of the top mid-majors.

He did not inherit a solid team at Dayton. Miller's three best players graduated making it a rebuilding situation.

As for Anthony vs Earl.. tough call but Anthony had more success in the same conference. Obviously they inherited different situations.

I’ll never forgive Wellman for extending a grossly ineffective employee’s contract. How did he get away with that?

Honestly, I'm not sure this is that unusual. I have a number of friends that were being unofficially recruited at various stages of the admissions process.

I can also see how this scenario could be entirely above board: coach waits to see if strong but not stellar student can get in on their own before using one of their recruited walk on spots on them.

That makes sense.

Looks like State is going to get in after their comeback win. State has twice as many wins as we have. That's how far away we are from the minimum amount of relevance.

He averaged 20 wins a season at Bama...while not setting the world on fire I wouldn't call it struggling either.

If Wes Miller took Idaho to the top 80 of KP he would be getting national attention.

Yeah he may not be as good a target then since he would be recruiting out west and have no reason to relocate to NC but it’s foolish to say nobody would be talking about him.

A couple coaching twitter accounts referenced his name for VPI if Buzz goes to TAMU. It’s not just wake who would be in the mix.

As for Anthony vs Earl.. tough call but Anthony had more success in the same conference. Obviously they inherited different situations.

I don't think it's a tough call. Don't overlook Anthony's ten years as an assistant to Billy Donovan at Florida during (a stretch that included a couple of National Championships).

Back