• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

18 million guaranteed...

We hired an AD who went to Bowling Green. Guy has a full page spread every program about how he coached at Western Illinois and was a flop as Northwestern’s baseball coach.

Then we let him just enter into contracts with no legal training or oversight and run our program for 30 years with no restrictions.

Know who the idiot is? It ain’t Ron Wellman. He’s loving the millions you are paying him.

(Name Redacted) was hungry just an introvert in a team sport ... I don't know if I am sold on the "hungriest" coach out there logic. Competitors are competitors and I really can not buy in to Manning not caring to win. Danny has done it all but he would be silly to think he does not want to add winning in the ACC on his resume.

If he does, he does a great job of not showing it.

Wes Miller has alot of connections to Wake. That hire would make alot of sense. Miller was actually an assistant to Nestor at Elon about 10 years ago.

I mean seriously. Have you all ever looked at the spread in our program. We are bragging that our AD has a connection to Elmhurst College. Guy taught frisbee at Illinois State. And we have to look at it. WTF.

(Name Redacted) was hungry just an introvert in a team sport ... I don't know if I am sold on the "hungriest" coach out there logic. Competitors are competitors and I really can not buy in to Manning not caring to win. Danny has done it all but he would be silly to think he does not want to add winning in the ACC on his resume.

Have you ever watched him or listened to an interview?

There is a difference between preferring winning over losing and being hungry. Manning is not hungry. Manning acts like this is an 82 game season and winning 40 games might get you in the playoffs so you can't really get too worked up over any particular game. Go back to the NBA, you big giant dufus.

Buyout terms that are less than the full value of the contract if that contract is performed to the end and that reduce over time are standard for long term NCAA football and basketball coach's contracts. Typically, a coach's agent doesn't fight including those terms because they run both ways and they allow the coach to leave before the end of the contract for the payment of a reduced stipulated sum (which the next school seeking the coach often pays).

WF has legal counsel review contracts before offering them. I do not believe WF and their counsel would fail to include the boilerplate buyout terms that de-escalate over time. Would make no sense. Even if WF was somehow convinced that Danny Manning was the next Brad Stevens in 2017, you need to include a buy-out clause just in case you are wrong or to cover any issue which could arise and which the school might find embarrassing or otherwise unacceptable (e.g., losing to HBU or being unable to teach how to close-out on opposing 3 point shooters), but which may not constitute termination for cause. Agreeing to a six year contract with no room for an voluntary exit verges on malpractice. Would guess that even K, Tom Izzo and Bill Self have buy-out terms in their contracts.

Also, it's not like Kansas reps and NBA teams were circling WF's campus in the Summer/early fall 2017.

Doubting the report is accurate.

Now you are starting to see why I have gone off the deep end. This guy does not consult with lawyers. He just does stupid shit like this and has for years.

What would you folks estimate the loss of revenue would be for finishing DFL in the ACC for the next 7 years on top of the last ten. Could be $18 million is a deal.

Wellman makes $1.2 million. Make Clawson AD with another $250,000 of that plus a bowl bump. Take the rest for the Manning retirement fund.

What would you folks estimate the loss of revenue would be for finishing DFL in the ACC for the next 7 years on top of the last ten. Could be $18 million is a deal.

I think you are thinking about this wrong.

Oh, sorry, you mean if he is fired. Never mind.

Last edited:
True. He had 10 other chances to finish above .500 in conference.

Just epically bad stewardship. Ronnie has a poor track record with contract extensions. The minute we have a tiny bit of success his premature ejaculation syndrome kicks in, and he goes crazy.

We kicked their ass in the Joel that season, and the whole arena was chanting NIT NIT NIT at the jackets since that’s where it looked liked they were heading...... ooooooops
GT was a #3 seed in the big dance. Are you maybe thinking of a different GT team? The 03-04 team was never, ever looking like going to the NIT.

Just looked up the game - GT was 14-2 going into the Joel that night. If you were chanting NIT at a 14-2 team ... (Who also won at the Joel ... so yeah, you are confusing years) http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/game?gameId=240200154

(They did win the pre-season NIT over UCONN that year, before UCONN got revenge in the NCAA title game).

Last edited:
The year Tech made the title game they beat us at the Joel 73-66 and got a 3 seed in the NCAAT.

ETA: whoops didn’t read the whole thread and Vad beat me to it.

Man, the ACC was freaking awesome back in those days. Those glory days are gone forever.

Not to sound like an old but the AAU circuit and the lack of defense taught to these young guys growing up have been the demise of the college game. They're all predominately a bunch of inflated ego softies who refuse to play fundamental basketball, to buy into team ball and who are thinking about nothing other than getting to the league.

Alright, my inner OWG rant is over.

Not to sound like an old but the AAU circuit and the lack of defense taught to these young guys growing up have been the demise of the college game. They're all predominately a bunch of inflated ego softies who refuse to play fundamental basketball, to buy into team ball and who are thinking about nothing other than getting to the league.

Bullshit. There are plenty of teams that play defense.

less OWG, more BKF

GT was a #3 seed in the big dance. Are you maybe thinking of a different GT team? The 03-04 team was never, ever looking like going to the NIT.

Just looked up the game - GT was 14-2 going into the Joel that night. If you were chanting NIT at a 14-2 team ... (Who also won at the Joel ... so yeah, you are confusing years) http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/game?gameId=240200154

(They did win the pre-season NIT over UCONN that year, before UCONN got revenge in the NCAA title game).

Maybe I am thinking of a different year... I kinda remember when wake was good. That just means that I am just starting to get old.

Bullshit. There are plenty of teams that play defense.

That's because plenty of college basketball coaches actually coach it. Can't just rely on players with good defensive drive and fundamentals coming into a program. The later seems to be Danny's approach.

Back