• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

18 million guaranteed...

That's because plenty of college basketball coaches actually coach it. Can't just rely on players with good defensive drive and fundamentals coming into a program. The later seems to be Danny's approach.

Yeah, but Creamy implied that none of the players are willing to buy into playing defense and "team ball."

Yeah, but Creamy implied that none of the players are willing to buy into playing defense and "team ball."

You're going to deny that there is less defense and fundamentals taught in modern day AAU/Prep ball than there was 20-30 years ago?

we'll play better defense as soon as we get rid of awful defensive liabilities like Arians and Wilbekin and Crawford

Teaching defense at the collegiate level is a major part of it, I'm not denying that in the least. But it's difficult to argue against the fact that fundamentals, defense and effort are essentially nonexistent in the AAU circuit and most High schools.

Defense, at least the type necessary to be good in college, was never taught in high school.

Who's better: Manning or Bz?

I never and I mean never, thought I'd say this, but I leaning Bz now. At least he got a few big upset wins. I think his last year we beat UNC and Duke. Miami was what #2 when we beat them one year under Bz I think too. I mean it's like trying to decide which pile of shit smells better of course.

Fwiw, I did ask Wellman about this yesterday.

Also, not sure if you guys caught the comments on Manning by C.L. Brown from The Athletic on the radio. Kind of recapped things here
https://247sports.com/college/wake-...gs-contract-status-at-Wake-Forest--125563578/

“We do not comment on contract details,” Wake Forest athletic director Ron Wellman said when asked for confirmation on Goodman’s report.

Well don't ask us for freaking donations then if we don't have the right to know what stupid ass shit you're doing as AD Ron!!!!

Teaching defense at the collegiate level is a major part of it, I'm not denying that in the least. But it's difficult to argue against the fact that fundamentals, defense and effort are essentially nonexistent in the AAU circuit and most High schools.

I don't think this is actually the case. For example, free throw percentage continues to increase across all NCAA schools, year-after-year. 3 point percentage is also increasing, but one could argue that is from weaker defense (I don't think that's the case, but one could argue it). However, that argument does not apply to free throw percentage, so that fundamental continues to improve.

I don't think this is actually the case. For example, free throw percentage continues to increase across all NCAA schools, year-after-year. 3 point percentage is also increasing, but one could argue that is from weaker defense (I don't think that's the case, but one could argue it). However, that argument does not apply to free throw percentage, so that fundamental continues to improve.

All fundamentals are improving. You have to be a much better ballhandler across almost all positions now than you did 20 years ago. Players across all positions are expected to be able to shoot (and a larger percentage can). Kids have to be in better physical condition. Kids now have a better idea of spacing.

Creamy, as usual, is just fucking wrong.

All fundamentals are improving. You have to be a much better ballhandler across almost all positions now than you did 20 years ago. Players across all positions are expected to be able to shoot (and a larger percentage can). Kids have to be in better physical condition. Kids now have a better idea of spacing.

Creamy, as usual, is just fucking wrong.

Suck on my big ole creamy balls.

It's really, really bad when you can't say your personality is better than Bzz. I agree though.

Manning is arrogant and aloof, but at least he doesn't constantly throw the players under-the-bus, like Bzzzzzzzz did.

Regarding defense, our problem is not our athleticism (especially not against the WCU type). We suck at team D, especially defending the high ball screen. We don't pressure the dribble to force the screen higher up and the big stays to long on the hedge. Then our help D is - it normally comes too late and no one busts their butts to recover after helping. Watch Duke or UVa play the high ball screen, then watch us. It is the difference between watching a real team and a pick-up game.

Last edited:
You're going to deny that there is less defense and fundamentals taught in modern day AAU/Prep ball than there was 20-30 years ago?
No idea. I've never paid attention to AAU, but that assertion is a tiny tiny part of your original post and is not the part I disagreed with.

Your assertion that defense is not being taught at that level is NOT responsible for ruining the college game. The college game isn't even ruined. Nor are all the players just worried about offense and getting to the league as you described.

AAU is designed to prep kids to get jobs in the field of entertainment. People don't watch the NBA for the chest passes and solid free throw mechanics.

Back