• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning's future

What do you think should happen with Manning?

• We're young - Manning needs at least another season.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • Undecided - let's see how the season finishes and then make a decision.

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Definitely fire him - but wait until after the season.

Votes: 39 19.8%
  • Fire him right now - at least show the fans that this won't continue.

Votes: 149 75.6%

• Total voters
Wow. I’m not sure which was more mind boggling today? State’s historic performance or that absurdity of a post. I’m completely mystified by that type of mentality from a wake fan.

I won't lie. I'm undecided....Odom, revered by many on this board, had some productive years finding diamonds like Duncan and Childress, but frankly never created a lasting impression of any consequence.

First of all, I'm surprised I even made it far enough thru that drivel to get to this gem. This is beyond the pale. Really a shame how those B2B ACC titles did NOTHING to raise our national profile or make a "lasting impression of any consequence!"

Are you serious Clark? That might be the stupidest single thing ever typed on these boards, and there have been a lot of such comments.

Knowell, since you can't appreciate, nor make anything above a kindergarten level post, I suggest you just stop overtaxing your brain and put me on ignore. Just curious, do you actually have any experience as a real fan before 2015?, 2010? 2005? 2000? 1990? No need to answer, it's obvious. To you and anybody else who doesn't understand, go back to the 1970's and see if you can find a period of sustained (5-10 or more consecutive years )top half of the conference, or Sweet Sixteen performance between then and now. There aren't any. Consistent Relevance on a national scale doesn't exist in spite of a few years of Tim Duncan, Chris Paul, Randolph Childress, Rodney Rogers, AFA, and any of the other short term heroes. And frankly except for the year we lost in the sweet sixteen to St. Joe's we have NEVER fulfilled our potential( when we lost to Marquette in the final four decades ago we played ABOVE our potential). I'm not negative about the Deacs. I love 'em. But I'm more honest than those of you who expect another coaching change in today's college environment will turn Wake Basketball into something it's never been.

Looks like most of the boys are disagreeing with you there FD. And you know, like the Racer, I hate to pile on too, but we ain't never lost to Marquette in the Final 4. Sorry.

From 1991 to 2000, WF got up to #2 & #3 in the nation, made 7 NCAA Tournaments with #1, #2, & #3 seeds, was ranked in 7 seasons, 1995 ACC Reg. Season & Conf. Tourney Champs, 1996 ACC Conf. Tourney Champ

From 2001 to 2010, WF was ranked #1 twice overall, made 7 NCAA Tournaments with two #4 seeds & two #2 seeds, was ranked in 8 seasons, 2003 ACC Reg. Season Champ, and was included among the top 25 programs for the decade.

Has WF underachieved in the post-season? Without a doubt, but to claim that WF has not had a period of prolonged success is absurd. WF had more seasons where it ranked #1 overall in the nation (2) than losing seasons (1). WF made the NCAA Tourney 70% of the time over 20 years and was ranked in 75% of those 20 seasons. WF is not a blue-blood but I don't think anyone is arguing that it is. Instead, WF is on the next tier of schools - ones that are not consistently elite but have prolonged periods of great play and the ability to compete for conference/national titles with the right coach/system.

Last edited:
In 2010 ESPN published a book ranking college basketball programs from 1938-2009. The basis for the ranking was supplied by Sagarin, using the results of all games played during that period of time by teams eligible for the NCAA tournament. Each program was given a rank for each decade and overall. Wake Forest was ranked 37th overall. The basis for the ranking are as follows. The Deacs didn't make the Top 40 in the 1940's or 1950's. They ranked 32nd in the 1960's, 30th in the 1970's, 40th in the 1980's, 15th in the 1990's and 23rd in the 2000's. Obviously the ranking for the past decade would be poor and would likely diminish the all time ranking if included.

The all time AP ranking of college basketball programs is based on weeks ranked in the AP poll. Through the 2017 season Wake Forest was ranked 33rd. As per the post by WakeForest Fan the Deacs rank 38th in all time NCAA tournament wins.

Historically, the Demon Deacons are a "bubble" team.

Last edited:
Manning is tweeting about his summer basketball camps today. So there’s that.

Manning is out recruiting kids in the 20 class. It means absolutely nothing, the guy is doin his job. Whats he supposed to do just sit on his ass for the next month? Manning is gone in a month and a half so it dont matter.

Manning is tweeting about his summer basketball camps today. So there’s that.

He should be performing all the duties of head basketball coach at Wake Forest because he is under contract to do so. Up until the day he is removed from that position.

He needs to go now. We have everything we need to succeed----facitlities, conference, school/academics.

Fusiondad is where good posts go to die.

So what does the fan base do if he isn’t fired at season’s end?

So what does the fan base do if he isn’t fired at season’s end?

More become like me and stop paying attention more and more each season. Mebbe I'll turn off my Google alerts next year for final scores.

Will be hard as I see them and just laugh now.

Back