• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Institutional Malpractice

Are we sure about that? They couldn’t afford to fuck up the last hire or the one before that either, but yet here they still are.

It is what it is, we don't have a choice over the AD in this situation. However, he has to know this must be the one Wake Forest gets right (regardless of who has final say on the hire this time), because 3 straight coaching hires the caliber of Redacted and Manning would torpedo Wake Forest Basketball into permanent bottom feeders. The cost of which would be losses beyond basketball revenues, less applications to the school, less name recognition with the general public, less alumni contributions, etc.

It is what it is, we don't have a choice over the AD in this situation. However, he has to know this must be the one Wake Forest gets right (regardless of who has final say on the hire this time), because 3 straight coaching hires the caliber of Redacted and Manning would torpedo Wake Forest Basketball into permanent bottom feeders. The cost of which would be losses beyond basketball revenues, less applications to the school, less name recognition with the general public, less alumni contributions, etc.

We are pretty much already there.

The last hire was the one we could not screw up. The new coach will have to build the program from the ground up. More than half of the fan base is gone.

Who knows what players will be left. Manning has lowered the perception and enthusiasm of the program from even the BZ era.

We need to hire a good enough coach to build a program on his own. I hope we go young because it will take some time.

A new coach could have 2 top 50 players in their starting lineup. I don't buy this is a long-term rebuild project

A new coach could have 2 top 50 players in their starting lineup. I don't buy this is a long-term rebuild project

Could. I will be surprised. If there is no attrition, he will have a decent core of players. I will be impressed if we avoid any loss of players.

I think the loss of rep will take a pretty long time to turn around. If Wake hits a home run and gets a great coach that instantly connects to the players, then sure, it could happen.

A more likely scenario with a good but not phenomenal hire will take time. We have a lot of losing culture to undo.

Clearly the worry is ronnie and those in charge will mess it up. They will low ball the home run hires. Go with a retread that had some success years ago but has grown stale to appease the old 1%ers.

If I am the people being asked to pay the buy out ronnie does not get a dime until he pays as well. He really deserves to lose some <cough cough all cough cough> of that big cash bonus he made a few years ago.

My source says the buyout is about 10.2 million, so pretty much his salary times the next 6 years. So no the buyout isnt 18 million. Manning is gettin fired at the end of the year so theres that.

So Goodman was right. The buyout is Manning’s salary fully guaranteed for the length of the contract. He was just wrong about the salary itself.

Let’s not get so caught up in $18M. At the time of the contract, Manning had one winning season in three years and barely made the tournament and was not mentioned at all for other jobs. A fully guaranteed contract was a horrible decision and the fools who signed off on it should be forced to pay the buyout.

Could. I will be surprised. If there is no attrition, he will have a decent core of players. I will be impressed if we avoid any loss of players.

I think the loss of rep will take a pretty long time to turn around. If Wake hits a home run and gets a great coach that instantly connects to the players, then sure, it could happen.

A more likely scenario with a good but not phenomenal hire will take time. We have a lot of losing culture to undo.

Meh. Manning came in and recruited well pretty early. I don't think that this "losing culture" is nearly as significant as some of us imagine it to be. The fundamentals at Wake in the conference it is in and the state it is in, allows it a solid recruiting base.

Of course there is always a risk of players leaving when a coaching change occurs. But a good hire should be able to retain them.

Manning had us in the NCAAs in year 3 with limited players remaining. A new coach should have us competitive by then.

Last edited:
Collins had us in the last 4 in year three. But I agree it's a good point. A good coach can turn things around quickly. A bad coach may luck in to something but it won't be sustainable.

Collins had us in the last 4 in year three. But I agree it's a good point. A good coach can turn things around quickly. A bad coach may luck in to something but it won't be sustainable.
Imagine where Collins would have had us if we'd had a good coach.

Imagine where Collins would have had us if we'd had a good coach.

Yup. Have to imagine a good coach is worth 10 points a game compared to Manning. In 16-17 that would have put us #3 in KP, ACC regular season champions, 26-4 heading into the ACCT. A good coach should easily get us there by year three.

Yup. Have to imagine a good coach is worth 10 points a game compared to Manning. In 16-17 that would have put us #3 in KP, ACC regular season champions, 26-4 heading into the ACCT. A good coach should easily get us there by year three.

Typical RChill. Makes an absurd assumption and uses it to delegitimize someone else’s point.

The poor guy sees the end is near...he's just trying to start as many absurd arguments as he can before he has to go (create another profile to post from).

If you came to the conclusion that he's not a good coach - to the tune of 10 points/game - how could you ever rip people who came to that conclusion before you did OH WHY DO I EVEN TRY

gotta get my fun in while I can

What point are you trying to make, RChill? That Manning is a good coach? That we shouldn’t fire him?

Back