• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Institutional Malpractice

diverdeac

Reaction score
As a long time multi generational Wake fan I have got to say that this is the worst state of affairs I have seen.

Doubled up by a poor Clemson team. There is absolutely no excuse for this. I emailed Ron Wellman. If he doesn’t fire Manning then he should be removed.

If the $18 million buyout is true then Wellman and Hatch should be fired.

This is now beyond sports. It goes to basic competence and institutional responsibility. Wake Forest belongs to all stakeholders and its future is all of our responsibility. Again there is no excuse for the premier sports program to be in this state, and I see no institutional accountability.

Where is the accountability? Who is in charge?

As a long time multi generational Wake fan I have got to say that this is the worst state of affairs I have seen.

Doubled up by a poor Clemson team. There is absolutely no excuse for this. I emailed Ron Wellman. If he doesn’t fire Manning then he should be removed.

This is now beyond sports. It goes to basic competence and institutional responsibility. Wake Forest belongs to all stakeholders and its future is all of our responsibility. Again there is no excuse for the premier sports program to be in this state, and I see no institutional accountability.

Wake Forest is a private institution. It's leadership is responsible to the Board of Trustees.

It is awful but it is not the worst state of affairs I have ever seen. Three words: cal boyd years

What you mean to say is that we have never had a more poorly coached team. This I can agree with full heartedly.

Our talent level is way higher than the last few Bob Staak years by a lot.

Institutionally, we will survive. I am more upset by what a disservice we are doing to three or four scholarship players a year. Assuming half our school hoops players are or have been fucking miserable, that is roughly 25 kids whose college experiences have been a nightmare rather than ecstasy. It is reason enough alone to fire manning weeks ago. I feel bad for hoard and brown mostly, but also Travis McKie, even CMM. These are kids lives and futures we are potentially ruining or at least affecting negatively. If an econ professor was fucking w half his students this way, he would be gone.

Last edited:

Just to clarify the math because it was annoying to hear others say the same thing yesterday (not as annoying as it was to lose by 27), but 37 is not half of 64.

Just to clarify the math because it was annoying to hear others say the same thing yesterday (not as annoying as it was to lose by 27), but 37 is not half of 64.

sure - but it was 45-22 8 minutes into the second half, and it's hard to remain focused when your opponent is so laughably bad

It is awful but it is not the worst state of affairs I have ever seen. Three words: cal boyd years

What you mean to say is that we have never had a more poorly coached team. This I can agree with full heartedly.

Our talent level is way higher than the last few Bob Staak years by a lot.

Institutionally, we will survive. I am more upset by what a disservice we are doing to three or four scholarship players a year. Assuming half our school hoops players are or have been fucking miserable, that is roughly 25 kids whose college experiences have been a nightmare rather than ecstasy. It is reason enough alone to fire manning weeks ago. I feel bad for hoard and brown mostly, but also Travis McKie, even CMM. These are kids lives and futures we are potentially ruining or at least affecting negatively. If an econ professor was fucking w half his students this way, he would be gone.

that only makes it worse. they should know better

If an econ professor was fucking w half his students this way, he would be gone.

No he wouldn’t.

I do appreciate the balls it takes to shill for a coach for years only to post this a few months later lol

Can we hire the New Orleans lawyers that sued the NFL for "loss of enjoyment of life"?

No he wouldn’t.

I do appreciate the balls it takes to shill for a coach for years only to post this a few months later lol

No. You are transposing Bzd for Manning. I was never on the Manning train and did worry that a great 30 day run at Tulsa does not a coach make.

I wasn't negative on him from the get go, but was never positive. His narrative is compelling for a future pro player looking for a college coach, but a great narrative does not a great coach make. There were points where I was hopeful he'd figure it out. I will say, his limitations don't seem to be due to laziness or lack of work ethic.

What I said was you cannot fire a basketball coach after game 2 or game 3 in a season, which was what some people were calling for after our season opening tourney loss to ??? What I said then was that you have to let the narrative of the season play out otherwise you ruin your opportunities for the next hire. You have to fire Manning at a logic point and not a reactionary moment. I feel the narrative of our season became apparent after about game 10 or so - honestly, I cannot remember which loss, but when it happened I said so. Doesn't mean I was correct or that my timing was any better than anybody else's, but it is/was mine. You can do no damage to our next hire by firing Manning today.

Bzd - yes, I was a huge fan of the hire and stuck with him for a number of reasons including his actual coaching ability, which I still believe in. But I was wrong wrong on most counts with him because an Xs and ox coach does not a head coach make. That was my big lesson - at least of college kids.

Buy anyway, please go back and find a post where I was gushing at what an awesome hire and awesome coach Manning is/was going to be. I won't, but I would imagine that I only shilled for his ability to coach big men. I assume he is still a pretty good big man coach, but he's no miracle worker in that regard and the important narrative for me is that EVEN IF HE WERE a great big man coach, he has not parlayed that incoming reputation or his work with Collins or Moore into a big man gem recruit.

I think our post mortem on Manning 5 years from now will be about his inability to motivate and gin up enthusiasm. I have no doubt he and the players work hard, but he has zero ability to turn that into on court intensity in any capacity. Put aside the fact that we run no offense 90% of the time. - we don't make it uncomfortable for our opponent to run their offense. Ever. We don't take anything away. We play bad to solid defense depending on the game or matchup and hope the other guy misses or make mistakes. But all that boils down to on court intensity which is so severely lacking, it just has to be either Manning himself or his inability to recognize and address it. It is almost weird.

No. You are transposing Bzd for Manning. I was never on the Manning train and did worry that a great 30 day run at Tulsa does not a coach make.

I wasn't negative on him from the get go, but was never positive. His narrative is compelling for a future pro player looking for a college coach, but a great narrative does not a great coach make. There were points where I was hopeful he'd figure it out. I will say, his limitations don't seem to be due to laziness or lack of work ethic.

What I said was you cannot fire a basketball coach after game 2 or game 3 in a season, which was what some people were calling for after our season opening tourney loss to ??? What I said then was that you have to let the narrative of the season play out otherwise you ruin your opportunities for the next hire. You have to fire Manning at a logic point and not a reactionary moment. I feel the narrative of our season became apparent after about game 10 or so - honestly, I cannot remember which loss, but when it happened I said so. Doesn't mean I was correct or that my timing was any better than anybody else's, but it is/was mine. You can do no damage to our next hire by firing Manning today.

Bzd - yes, I was a huge fan of the hire and stuck with him for a number of reasons including his actual coaching ability, which I still believe in. But I was wrong wrong on most counts with him because an Xs and ox coach does not a head coach make. That was my big lesson - at least of college kids.

Buy anyway, please go back and find a post where I was gushing at what an awesome hire and awesome coach Manning is/was going to be. I won't, but I would imagine that I only shilled for his ability to coach big men. I assume he is still a pretty good big man coach, but he's no miracle worker in that regard and the important narrative for me is that EVEN IF HE WERE a great big man coach, he has not parlayed that incoming reputation or his work with Collins or Moore into a big man gem recruit.

I think our post mortem on Manning 5 years from now will be about his inability to motivate and gin up enthusiasm. I have no doubt he and the players work hard, but he has zero ability to turn that into on court intensity in any capacity. Put aside the fact that we run no offense 90% of the time. - we don't make it uncomfortable for our opponent to run their offense. Ever. We don't take anything away. We play bad to solid defense depending on the game or matchup and hope the other guy misses or make mistakes. But all that boils down to on court intensity which is so severely lacking, it just has to be either Manning himself or his inability to recognize and address it. It is almost weird.

He also has no ability to coach offense or defense along with his lack of motivational skills. I can't really complain about special teams.

Keep in mind jaybone left the boards for a decent chunk of the Manning era.

He also has no ability to coach offense or defense along with his lack of motivational skills. I can't really complain about special teams.

Totally disagree. Watching successful special teams coaches on the sidelines over the years - they all seem embarrassingly intense for the 7 plays they are coaching. Watching John Fassell's eyes bug out while he chews on his lips and glares his teeth like a bad Jim Carrey character leads me to believe that Manning would make a horrific special teams coach ;-)

Wake Forest is a private institution. It's leadership is responsible to the Board of Trustees.

I know some people who are/were on the board. The last time I talked to them they thought Ron was doing a great job. Facepalm

Last edited:
I know some people who are/were on the board. The last time I talked to them they think Ron is doing a great job. Facepalm

Yep. Ron remains popular with the higher ups at Wake. He certainly won't be let go from Wake. He'll have to retire. Too bad the rumor I heard about him retiring years ago turned out to be false.

Yep. Ron remains popular with the higher ups at Wake. He certainly won't be let go from Wake. He'll have to retire. Too bad the rumor I heard about him retiring years ago turned out to be false.

top 1% maybe. He's lost the middle and upper middle class deacs

I was a career losing record coming off a losing season. I can't fathom anyone was a fan of the hire

Back