• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 Masters Thread

To be fair everything I’ve seen regarding spin differences were comparisons between 90s pro V1’s and current. So maybe your right.

Well, I may not have been clear enough on what I was comparing either. I meant comparing modern urethane balls (90's Pro V's and forward) and the old balata balls.

Has there ever been a bigger ripoff than balata balls ? Especially for the average player. You breathe on them funny and there's a gash on the cover.

Among sports fans, yes. In 2013 ESPN measured him as the 7th best known athlete in America.

I am a huge, but casual, sports fan, as is my wife. Sports is on in our house all the time- mostly college basketball, college football , golf, NHL; with some MLB, NFL, NBA thrown in. I know who Messi and Ronaldo are, but barely. I don't know or care who they play for. I couldn't pick either one out of a lineup. For whatever that is worth.

Tiger is really the only iconic sports star right now. When he is in contention people who don't normally care about golf tune in to watch. You can't really say that about anyone else. Do non-NBA fans turn on the NBA playoffs just to watch LeBron?

When Ali was boxing everyone watched. I'm not sure I have watched a boxing match since he retired - I certainly haven't made it a point to watch one.

Even though Jack was clearly much better, Arnie was probably closer to an icon than he was. Everyone love Arnie and wanted to watch just because of him.

I am a huge, but casual, sports fan, as is my wife. Sports is on in our house all the time- mostly college basketball, college football , golf, NHL; with some MLB, NFL, NBA thrown in. I know who Messi and Ronaldo are, but barely. I don't know or care who they play for. I couldn't pick either one out of a lineup. For whatever that is worth.

good thing the other 7.5 billion people in the world are there to pick up your slack

how many other athletes can you name that play a sport you never watch?

good thing the other 7.5 billion people in the world are there to pick up your slack

true icons transcend the popularity that is related specifically to the sport they play. call me when Ronaldo gets cast in Space Jam 3

true icons transcend the popularity that is related specifically to the sport they play. call me when Ronaldo gets cast in Space Jam 3

yeah but Ronaldo is pretty well-known here from this I'd say

original

Good grief, that is EXACTLY the point. If you are an icon you are known by people that are not fans of your sport. You make people want to watch you who have never watched your sport before. No one is saying that Messi and Ronaldo are not hugely famous and great players, etc. etc. Icons that transcend their own sport, and even transcend sport in general, are very, very rare so it is no disrespect to say someone has not reached that level.

and that is my point

you don't watch soccer but you know who Messi and Ronaldo are

for how many other athletes can you say that?

and that is my point

you don't watch soccer but you know who Messi and Ronaldo are

for how many other athletes can you say that?

A lot. Knowing someone's name is not hard - especially in the internet age. There is a lot of distance between knowing someone's name and being interested in and excited about them enough to go search out their games to watch or follow. Hell, I have never touched a surfboard or watched one minute of surfing and yet I know Kelly Slater's name.

So he’s a surfing icon.

Has there ever been a bigger ripoff than balata balls ? Especially for the average player. You breathe on them funny and there's a gash on the cover.

Yeah, I always hated the balata balls. I liked the old wound Titleist DT 90's in my younger days.

A lot. Knowing someone's name is not hard - especially in the internet age. There is a lot of distance between knowing someone's name and being interested in and excited about them enough to go search out their games to watch or follow. Hell, I have never touched a surfboard or watched one minute of surfing and yet I know Kelly Slater's name.

and if you google "greatest surfer of all-time", kelly slater's name comes up at the top of most every list

seems pretty iconic

you think half the world knows shit about golf? doesn't make Tiger not iconic

Back