• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson Agrees to new 8 year deal

But if we all agree that both AD's signed off on it, then who gets the credit for it is sort of pointless. This was a layup; how much credit is there really to give? We're treating this like Wellman stole the glory from the battlefield. This move tacked on a few more years to the contract of one of our best coaches, but yet it's not like some major coup. It was a good decision, with not much glory or fanfare involved, and both men get credited (one directly, one tacitly). Who cares. All I want to know is that Clawson is that much firmer in his commitment, and Wellman is history. And that's where we arrived this week.

Exactly right, knowell. Not getting rid of Manning is setting the program even further back. The garbage hire of [Redacted] led in no small part to us having to reach for a guy like Manning. So a decision Ron made 10 years ago continues to reverberate and will continue to do so for several more years.

And look, if Wellman had hired someone 10 years ago that did not work out, fine, that happens. But he hired someone that on the face of it was an objectively unreasonable hire. If you are going to make an extreme reach like that, you have to get it right. Wellman failed. Miserably. And refused to acknowledge the failure. Things were so bad that we had to BEG Danny Manning to be our head coach. Danny Manning, who had TWO years of head coaching experience at Tulsa.

Think about that - we were so destitute after [Redacted], that we had to beg a guy with two years of head coaching experience at Tulsa to take an ACC job. After a hint of success, Wellman then proceeds to extend Manning into Trump's 4th term. This is crazy. Just crazy.

Who is arguing this? What does it have to do with when Clawson’s extension was announced?

Clawson is the best thing that has happened to Wake sports. Save for the epiphany that was Tim Duncan.

He pushed for funding, accountability, and sustainability. And accomplished it.

He will be a hell of an AD one day.

Every year we have Dave we should be grateful.

Seems to be more about pay than term anyway -- he already had a deal through 2024, so only two years added

Until I hear otherwise(and we may never) I'll believe this was about leveraging for raises for Clawson's staff with the extra 2 yrs as a way to also bump his salary to a representative level. So lucky to have him.

Of course he was. Not the point. Wellman should be trying to leave Currie in the best position possible to be successful. Instead, he tried to leave with his career in the best light possible.

Yep. Narcissism at its finest. Wellman has to prove that he knows the best people and uses the best words.

I think this is all Currie actually - a message to Clawson that you don't have to prove anything to me. Currie saying, 'I got you and your staff.' It wouldn't have saved us from losing our DC to Notre Dame, but it is important we don't lose valuable coaches to other programs simply for a 20% raise ... 100% raises we cannot match, more than likely ...

If a restructuring had happened sooner, we might have been able to keep the current DC at Notre Dame as our DC.

I think Lea would have left with Elko regardless. It was easily a great move for his career. He’s in his mid-30s and should be on plenty of short lists for HC jobs in the next few years.

I think Lea would have left with Elko regardless. It was easily a great move for his career. He’s in his mid-30s and should be on plenty of short lists for HC jobs in the next few years.

It isn't hard for me to imagine that he would have taken the DC job if offered. I don't think he would have been here too long though - for the exact reason you said. You don't get a power conference head coach job as Wake's DC.

Who the hell are you arguing with? No one is suggesting that Currie was not on board with extending the Clawson. The point is that Wellman could have uused this as an opportunity to get Currie an easy win in a couple weeks, and rather used it to boost his own standing while on the way out the door.

Who the hell said I was arguing with anyone? We are all on the same team here. We are glad Wellman is gone, we acknowledge that Currie must have approved the extension, and who gets credit for it is irrelevant. I was merely trying to point out that it was a gracious move by Currie to let Wellman take the credit, at least superficially. Give the guy a break on the way out the door.

Who is arguing this? What does it have to do with when Clawson’s extension was announced?

You said: "He can’t hurt you anymore."

Wellman can, in fact, still hurt Wake. We have no idea what the details are of the extension, and Wellman's disastrous BB decisions will continue to hurt Wake for years.

So the guy comes out and says he'll respond to any emails set to him, and then posts a bad link?

His indifference and incompetence will fit in very well with a AD built by Ron Wellman.

First order of business for AD Currie, Demon Deacon spatulas.

First order of business for AD Currie, Demon Deacon spatulas.

I get your joke, but expanding the reach of Wake merchandise should be a goal of the new regime. Once you leave the Triad, you can't find Wake gear at clothing or sporting goods outlets.

Also I definitely posted this in the wrong thread. Whoops.

Glad Clawson signed a new deal. just hope he doesn't keep relying on 5-11, 170 lbs QBs to win.

I get your joke, but expanding the reach of Wake merchandise should be a goal of the new regime. Once you leave the Triad, you can't find Wake gear at clothing or sporting goods outlets.

Also I definitely posted this in the wrong thread. Whoops.

Glad Clawson signed a new deal. just hope he doesn't keep relying on 5-11, 170 lbs QBs to win.

I feel pretty confident that 6-4/235 Jamie Newman will be our starter. If Clawson benches Newman after he led us to a 3-1 finish and outplayed two pro QBs in the process, yeah, you can complain.

I feel pretty confident that 6-4/235 Jamie Newman will be our starter. If Clawson benches Newman after he led us to a 3-1 finish and outplayed two pro QBs in the process, yeah, you can complain.

Exactly. I realize this comparison is not really fair, but Newman is so big and strong that he reminds me some of Cam Newton

Be careful. I got mocked for calling him "Baby Cam" and wondering if he should get reps early last season.

The yahoo article announcing the Clawson extension really laid it on thick for Jamie Newman. It actually DID read like Cam Newton is our QB. We are certainly in a good situation at QB.

I am not worried about the offensive side of the ball at all, save some inexperience on the OL. However, everywhere on D except DE and Corners worry me: we have problems with depth, experience and perhaps skill everywhere else on D. The defensive coaches are going to [hopefully] be really earning their increased paychecks this year.

Be careful. I got mocked for calling him "Baby Cam" and wondering if he should get reps early last season.

I do think Newman is one of those guys that needs reps and in-game snaps to show out. I think I remember reading that he didn't practice particularly well his first two years at Wake. I think when he gets few reps, he does error on the side of conservative. It seemed notable to me that on a number of the drives against NC State where we needed, required him to take chances and when there was nobody ready behind me, he was fantastic. I do really expect big things from him this year if he can stay healthy and he essentially feels real real comfortable as the starter (i.e., not looking over his shoulder). I am pretty sure he would have been our starter last year from Game 1 had he stayed healthy in camp.

I could even foresee a scenario where this is the last year we have him ...

Baby Cam had a few runs vs Duke and Memphis that were hilarious. He had dudes draped all over him and he dragged them for about 9 yards.

Back