• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson Agrees to new 8 year deal

It's absolutely comical that this was announced on Wellman's last day as AD. 100% trying to get the stink off of Wellman's career (not going to happen), instead of giving Currie an easy victory his first month on the job.

It's absolutely comical that this was announced on Wellman's last day as AD. 100% trying to get the stink off of Wellman's career (not going to happen), instead of giving Currie an easy victory his first month on the job.

Yup. Between the twitter post yesterday praising the "fearless leader" and the talking points fed to the media about Wellman's career for the article above, it's just gross. For a "mentor", Wellman sure is an ass to Currie. Stuck him with Manning and then made sure this was annouced before he left.

Nice, look forward to having Clawson here for a long time.

Why is Wellman doing this?? This is going to be Currie's responsibility going forward, shouldn't he be negotiating terms? Look, we are all happy that Clawson is extended and gets a raise, well deserved, but the timing is shitty and the man putting it together should not be allowed near the negotiations table or putting terms and conditions on paper.

MFF.

This is great for Wake. Claw should coach here for life if he wants.

Go Deacs.

Yup. Between the twitter post yesterday praising the "fearless leader" and the talking points fed to the media about Wellman's career for the article above, it's just gross. For a "mentor", Wellman sure is an ass to Currie. Stuck him with Manning and then made sure this was annouced before he left.

I think that article is just a reprint of the press release.

I think that article is just a reprint of the press release.

Wake put this into a press release?

"[FONT=&quot]The move will likely be the last significant one in the decorated tenure of athletic director Ron Wellman, who has announced his retirement and is stepping down on May 1 after 27 years. Wellman will be replaced by former Kansas State and Tennessee athletic director John Currie."[/FONT]

MFF.

This is great for Wake. Claw should coach here for life if he wants.

Go Deacs.

No one is unhappy that this happened. Do you not think the timing is ridiculous and very ego driven? Hell, it almost makes it more about Wellman than about Clawson.

Regardless who did this - Wellman or Currie - this is excellent news and should create stability for years to come.
I really think Clawson and his family love it at Wake, as well as his coaches. You can also see how this attitude is adopted by the majority of the players.
So excited for another season of Wake football.

Far less interested in that soap opera than getting a great football coach locked down.

+1000

34 points per game the last 2 years, 3 straight bowl wins and the highest ranked recruiting class in school history.

I hope Bill Gates can't afford the buyout.

I like Clawson and think he has a bright future but locking down a coach after a 7-6 year in which no other programs were interested is pretty weak.

I think Wellman painted himself into this corner by paying a loser basketball coach more than a football coach on the rise.

Back