• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ALL PRAISE JOHN CURRIE FOR ACTING A YEAR TOO LATE

I've got my own theory on why DM was allowed one more season, and I've actually heard the exact same thing from a couple of people, and very reliable sources. I truly think that Wellman, Currie, Wake itself, whoever, wanted to let the Childress legacy finish out. By that I mean let Brandon finish his senior season, graduate from the school he loves, get in the 1,000 point record book so Randolph and Brandon can be the highest scoring father/son duo in the ACC, etc. Had DM been let go, the new coach coming in would have likely cleaned slate and that would have meant Randolph would be gone too...leaving Brandon on the team with a very difficult and awkward decision to make...stay, or transfer. So I really thing a change will be coming at the end of this season, but Currie will be doing tons of homework all season long and find the perfect replacement for DM and get Wake Basketball back to where it was. We need a Clawson-like coach...like a Prosser, to turn our program back around. Won't be easy, but Currie wants it to happen as much as anyone. But I think he had to not make a change on day 1 of his job, and probably had specific instructions not to do so because of the Childress situation. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, or that I necessarily agree with it. Just stating what I think is a major factor in why the decision was made. This may have already come up in the Boards somewhere, and if so, sorry to repeat it. But just wanted to put this out there and see if anyone else agrees or has any thoughts.

Glad to see a win against Davidson. I had my doubts. Let's get that win against Duke today. GO DEACS!

That would be worse mismanagement than the buyout and the entire AD would need to be burned to the ground.

That would be worse mismanagement than the buyout and the entire AD would need to be burned to the ground.

A billion percent. Nothing would shock me in our AD but that would be next level incompetent, unethical and flat out irresponsible.

I've got my own theory on why DM was allowed one more season, and I've actually heard the exact same thing from a couple of people, and very reliable sources. I truly think that Wellman, Currie, Wake itself, whoever, wanted to let the Childress legacy finish out. By that I mean let Brandon finish his senior season, graduate from the school he loves, get in the 1,000 point record book so Randolph and Brandon can be the highest scoring father/son duo in the ACC, etc. Had DM been let go, the new coach coming in would have likely cleaned slate and that would have meant Randolph would be gone too...leaving Brandon on the team with a very difficult and awkward decision to make...stay, or transfer. So I really thing a change will be coming at the end of this season, but Currie will be doing tons of homework all season long and find the perfect replacement for DM and get Wake Basketball back to where it was. We need a Clawson-like coach...like a Prosser, to turn our program back around. Won't be easy, but Currie wants it to happen as much as anyone. But I think he had to not make a change on day 1 of his job, and probably had specific instructions not to do so because of the Childress situation. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, or that I necessarily agree with it. Just stating what I think is a major factor in why the decision was made. This may have already come up in the Boards somewhere, and if so, sorry to repeat it. But just wanted to put this out there and see if anyone else agrees or has any thoughts.

Glad to see a win against Davidson. I had my doubts. Let's get that win against Duke today. GO DEACS!

I have heard a very similar rumor. Although, this was said as an afterthought, and not the entire reasoning.

They are already the highest scoring father/son in ACC history.

I have heard a very similar rumor. Although, this was said as an afterthought, and not the entire reasoning.

That sounds reasonable as a "by the way, keeping Danny one more year means Childress..."

Not nearly as important as the two main reasons: Hatch and multiple Moricles like Danny as a Representative of the university. The contract, if the only credible report is close to the truth.

Bones McKinney was supposedly fired for shacking up with a secretary from the religion department. According to insiders, Bob Staak was let go for impregnating a cheerleader. After Dino was fired people circulated rumors that he was having an affair with some administrator. Why can't some coed simply step forward and do her duty for mother so dear, so we can quickly be rid of this incompetent coach, who is basically stealing by drawing his salary?

another reason for Staak's firing was that he sucked as a coach.

Completely plausible coming from a Wake AD. The main reason that Wake still sucks is that the people that matter do not prioritize winning.

They, just like ChrisDeac, are happy with beating Davidson 50% of the time.

John Currie: why haven’t you fired Manning yet?

This is becoming your problem.

Fuck you.

No doubt. Everyday that you let your signature product continue to be an abysmal failure is your failure.

Why wait?? Just makes you look either incompetent or unconcerned.

John Currie: why haven’t you fired Manning yet?

This is becoming your problem.

Fuck you.

It wasn't the last two firings that put Wake in the current situation.

It was the last two hires. Wake's next hire of the head basketball coach needs to be the right one. We've seen what happens when it's just "somebody."

It wasn't the last two firings that put Wake in the current situation.

It was the last two hires. Wake's next hire of the head basketball coach needs to be the right one. We've seen what happens when it's just "somebody."

Of course, but just as bad was that the last firing and this firing are 2 years too late. Anyone can make a bad hire. The reason Wake basketball has been razed to the ground is the refusal to correct the course.

First step is to fire the imbecile.

Of course, but just as bad was that the last firing and this firing are 2 years too late. Anyone can make a bad hire. The reason Wake basketball has been razed to the ground is the refusal to correct the course.

First step is to fire the imbecile.

I don't want to fire until spring. Take no chances on a "dead cat bounce" under a 2/3 season interim coach. Firing should happen with less than 1/4 season remaining.

Fire the head coach now, put one of the two associate head coaches as interim, have greatly above expectations remainder of the season, then what? You're either firing someone after success (Dino redux) or hiring long term someone with a thin resume.

The slate must be wiped completely clean. That can't happen until March.

I don't want to fire until spring. Take no chances on a "dead cat bounce" under a 2/3 season interim coach. Firing should happen with less than 1/4 season remaining.

Fire the head coach now, put one of the two associate head coaches as interim, have greatly above expectations remainder of the season, then what? You're either firing someone after success (Dino redux) or hiring long term someone with a thin resume.

Nah. Put Nestor in charge for the rest of the year. There's no expectation that he's anything but a place holder. If we get a bounce and some increased attendance, it does nothing but help us in hiring another coach and getting the press talking about us in a positive light.

You are assuming Curry is as much of a dumbass as Wellman was. If that's the case, it does not matter what happens.

If Curry is not a dumbass, then winning a modest amount of games will not make any difference. All Curry has to do is make it known that we will have an interim coach and there will be a national search at years end.

Hot takes and dropping words like incompetent are always best from people who can't spell.

Which period from the Prosser years do you want? I hope not the last two years where he went 32-33 overall & 8-24 in the ACC [good for last out of 12 & tied for 10th] We also lost to Cincinnati 73-58 in the first round of the NIT that next to last season. But if we can get the first four years that would be better. He went 94-35 & 44-20 in the ACC with 4 NCAA berths. [3 second rounds & a Sweet 16]

Back