• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CONOR Football News 2020

^^^^

If things get or remain so bad that there are no fall sports and no in-person fall classes, then that would likely mean that many businesses would also still be closed.....many for good. If the whole world is shut down like this, sports will be the least of our worries. We would all likely be in survival mode.
Hope and pray - and don’t expect - it to come to this.

Have you not been drinking more recently???

Today we published the first of five Q&As with NFL hopeful guys. Several days ago, did phone interviews with Jake Benzinger, Essang Bassey, Justin Strnad, Justin Herron and Jack Freudenthal about how different the pre-draft process is amid the pandemic, about the combine (for the 3 who were there), about team interviews and all kinds of stuff like that.

So here's the Q&A with Jake Benzinger.

The rest will roll out over the next 10 days or so, leading up to the draft.

Today we published the first of five Q&As with NFL hopeful guys. Several days ago, did phone interviews with Jake Benzinger, Essang Bassey, Justin Strnad, Justin Herron and Jack Freudenthal about how different the pre-draft process is amid the pandemic, about the combine (for the 3 who were there), about team interviews and all kinds of stuff like that.

So here's the Q&A with Jake Benzinger.

The rest will roll out over the next 10 days or so, leading up to the draft.

Look forward to hearing about all of these guys. Definitely a unique experience for them at present. Good luck to them.

How about Hinton? He got double screwed. First with no combine invite. Then with no pro day. Any chance he got to do an individual workout with any teams? Not sure how practical that became once everything got crazy. I'm no NFL scout, but it really seems he has the skillset to be an NFL slot

NFL teams now must heavily rely on game-tape, and Hinton had a lot of quality game action over the last two years. Some savvy team will give him shot.

How about Hinton? He got double screwed. First with no combine invite. Then with no pro day. Any chance he got to do an individual workout with any teams? Not sure how practical that became once everything got crazy. I'm no NFL scout, but it really seems he has the skillset to be an NFL slot

Agreed. I think his tape speaks volumes, just maybe not enough to get drafted. It's not the end-all, be-all, but I haven't seen him in any mocks. But he had one year of playing the slot healthy, basically, and had 73 catches/1,001 yards/4 TDs. He's a gifted athlete with OK size for the slot (6-0, 195).

BTW, I didn't realize that Jake Benzinger was 6-8 307. That is a nice frame for an NFL tackle. Realize there may be athleticism questions, but he has the size, durability and smarts to make a roster.

Yeah, have not seen Hinton as a draft pick in any mocks, but it just takes one team to change that projection. Also, with expanded rosters, lots of UFAs will make money this year, if not on an active roster, on the practice squad.

Last edited:
BTW, I didn't realize that Jake Benzinger was 6-8 307. That is a nice frame for an NFL tackle. Realize there may be athleticism questions, but he has the size, durability and smarts to make a roster.

Yeah, have not seen Hinton as a draft pick in any mocks, but it just takes one team to change that projection. Also, with expanded rosters, lots of UFAs will make money this year, if not on an active roster, on the practice squad.

How to put this ... some guys you talk to in person enough and think, "man, they've inflated the hell out of his size and/or weight." Or deflated, in other cases.

But with Jake, never a question whether he was actually 6-7, as listed on roster. Then while doing interview, he told me he was measured at 6-7, 7/8. So, I rounded up.

Conor, have you asked to talk to Currie about the steps they are taking to offset costs? Who has agreed to decreased salaries and for what time period?

Could be wrong, but I thought that WF announced that every WF coach and other athletic department employee, regardless of program, has taken a 10% pay cut. WF specifically mentioned Clawson because he is the Bellwether Athletic Department employee, but the cut applies to all.

Yes. It does. I had forgotten. I am not sure of the specific time window. Effective immediately? Through 2020-2020 academic year? Indefinitely?

Conor, have you asked to talk to Currie about the steps they are taking to offset costs? Who has agreed to decreased salaries and for what time period?

Also, they were cutting all ‘non-essential’ spending, although I don’t know specially what that includes.

Could be wrong, but I thought that WF announced that every WF coach and other athletic department employee, regardless of program, has taken a 10% pay cut. WF specifically mentioned Clawson because he is the Bellwether Athletic Department employee, but the cut applies to all.

That's not how the release was written. It singles out Currie, Hatch, and Clawson as taking 10% therefore implying the other coaches are not.

According to this from Brett McMurphy tweet the 10% pay cut applies "to all WF head coaches": https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1250145905271091202?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Perhaps, McMurphy is wrong.

Yeah, considering he got his information off Currie's press release and twisted the phrasing around in his tweet. Go to the source instead of playing telephone: https://godeacs.com/news/2020/4/14/general-from-the-quad.aspx

"Our head coaches have all volunteered to stand in solidarity with President Hatch, the Cabinet and Academic Deans in taking pay reductions, led by Coach Clawson, who is joining with me in taking a ten percent cut immediately."

Thus, by singling out Clawson as the leader by taking 10%, he is implying others are not taking as high.

Yeah, considering he got his information off Currie's press release and twisted the phrasing around in his tweet. Go to the source instead of playing telephone: https://godeacs.com/news/2020/4/14/general-from-the-quad.aspx

"Our head coaches have all volunteered to stand in solidarity with President Hatch, the Cabinet and Academic Deans in taking pay reductions, led by Coach Clawson, who is joining with me in taking a ten percent cut immediately."

Thus, by singling out Clawson as the leader by taking 10%, he is implying others are not taking as high.

So, could Manning be taking say 3%?

Back