• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CONOR Football News 2020

Conor, have you given your Currie tape to the Zapruder family? :)

Conor, have you given your Currie tape to the Zapruder family? :)

Was going to mail it but I'm all out of stamps.

Last Q&A, this one with Essang Bassey.

I'll throw this in here now: Enjoyed the hell out of talking to all of these guys. It's hard to find an example of a bad interview among Wake Forest student-athletes, but these five are exceptional. Hopefully yall have enjoyed these as much as I enjoyed talking to them.

Good stuff, Conor!
These are really impressive guys and I would guess they score higher than most with their team interviews.
These guys have it mentally as well as physically.

Listened to Clawson's and Currie's virtual lunch talk this afternoon. Lots of small talk and not much actual football information except this one interesting nugget. Clawson said that Hartman played at about 175 his freshmen year and that obviously is not big enough for a major college QB but that he now is about 215. Will be interesting to see how he handles that weight and if it helps his durability.

Listened to Clawson's and Currie's virtual lunch talk this afternoon. Lots of small talk and not much actual football information except this one interesting nugget. Clawson said that Hartman played at about 175 his freshmen year and that obviously is not big enough for a major college QB but that he now is about 215. Will be interesting to see how he handles that weight and if it helps his durability.

Interesting, thanks. Wonder what he played at last year, ie. his rate of increase per season. He played in several important games.

Almost positive I've written or published that Hartman played his freshman year at about 174. That's why he got snapped in half by the elite pass rushers they played that year, and there were a ton of them: BC's Zach Allen and Wyatt Ray; ND's Okwara and Tillery; Clemson's entire line; Syracuse's Coleman and Robinson. Film of all of those games shows Hartman looking sharp until getting hit, and then he's not the same.

Respectfully disagree on there not being much info on that call. As yall might have seen on Twitter, I was thrilled that Clawson talked about problems with the star system in recruiting. That's not the first time I've heard those comments; it was, however, the first I've heard them on the record.

Thought the three standout wins he talked about were interesting because I was surprised he didn't mention Military Bowl. To me, with your program less than a month removed from one of the wildest college football scandals of the era, you go out and beat a top-25 team by boat-racing them in the first half and hanging on with a third-string QB at the end, was so important for where this program has gotten to.

Maybe I missed it, but I hadn't seen anywhere that the ACC has a subcommittee of football coaches and ADs for restarting football. Interesting but not surprising that of 7 members, 2 of them are Dabo and Radakovich (i.e. Clemson football's power in the league).

Also, Clawson has kinda hinted around it in pressers, but this was a startling quote about nonconference games: "The problem is those games are so attractive that the ACC Network is hijacking those games and putting them on Friday night, which is when high school games are."

Again, all due respect, but I thought there was lot more to yesterday's event than Hartman's weight.

good points Connor- I guess my eyes and ears kind of glazed over when Currie was asking Clawson about his favorite books and what he likes to do in his free time.

good points Connor- I guess my eyes and ears kind of glazed over when Currie was asking Clawson about his favorite books and what he likes to do in his free time.

Agreed there -- wasn't the most riveting of starts.

Almost positive I've written or published that Hartman played his freshman year at about 174. That's why he got snapped in half by the elite pass rushers they played that year, and there were a ton of them: BC's Zach Allen and Wyatt Ray; ND's Okwara and Tillery; Clemson's entire line; Syracuse's Coleman and Robinson. Film of all of those games shows Hartman looking sharp until getting hit, and then he's not the same.

Respectfully disagree on there not being much info on that call. As yall might have seen on Twitter, I was thrilled that Clawson talked about problems with the star system in recruiting. That's not the first time I've heard those comments; it was, however, the first I've heard them on the record.

Thought the three standout wins he talked about were interesting because I was surprised he didn't mention Military Bowl. To me, with your program less than a month removed from one of the wildest college football scandals of the era, you go out and beat a top-25 team by boat-racing them in the first half and hanging on with a third-string QB at the end, was so important for where this program has gotten to.

Maybe I missed it, but I hadn't seen anywhere that the ACC has a subcommittee of football coaches and ADs for restarting football. Interesting but not surprising that of 7 members, 2 of them are Dabo and Radakovich (i.e. Clemson football's power in the league).

Also, Clawson has kinda hinted around it in pressers, but this was a startling quote about nonconference games: "The problem is those games are so attractive that the ACC Network is hijacking those games and putting them on Friday night, which is when high school games are."

Again, all due respect, but I thought there was lot more to yesterday's event than Hartman's weight.

Great points. My favorite point was when Currie mentioned that Wake is 43-18 vs teams from NC this century. That is a remarkable stat. My numbers might be off, but wow.

Great points. My favorite point was when Currie mentioned that Wake is 43-18 vs teams from NC this century. That is a remarkable stat. My numbers might be off, but wow.

Agree. That's some numbers that all of us should know and quote often to our ACC friends in NC.

I also liked Clawson's picks and comments of his 3 favorite wins...….NC State on national tv, which enabled us to go to the Birmingham Bowl where we beat a SEC team, and then this past season's win over UNC. He added that he wished we'd played better in the 4th quarter.

Not including the year 2000 when Wake went 2-9, because that's technically in the last century, right ? Wake Forest is 113-122. So 38% of our wins came against opponents from NC. That doesn't speak well for NC football over that period. And that includes 3 wins over Elon, 2 over Gardner-Webb, 1 over App State, 5 over ECU, and 1 over NC A&T, for a total of 12 wins over non-P5 NC opponents.

Not including the year 2000 when Wake went 2-9, because that's technically in the last century, right ? Wake Forest is 113-122. So 38% of our wins came against opponents from NC. That doesn't speak well for NC football over that period. And that includes 3 wins over Elon, 2 over Gardner-Webb, 1 over App State, 5 over ECU, and 1 over NC A&T, for a total of 12 wins over non-P5 NC opponents.

I wish we played them more regularly. It was always fun beating the PieRats.

They were putrid during that period.

I disagree a bit. From 2000-2014 they had 10 wining seasons. They played the series vs us expecting to win. When we won mostly they opted out. In their mind playing us was like we used to think playing App State was; poor risk vs reward.

Is Bassey the first Deac expected to be drafted?

Realize that no WF player will get drafted before Saturday. Was interested to see that in the NFL Draft Tracker, 8 Deacons are listed:
https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/prospects/allPositions?college=Wake+Forest&page=1&status=ALL&year=2020

That is the same as Clemson and Miami, and more than every other ACC school, and it's really not close: UNC, Cuse and UVA all have 4. FWIW, State has 2, Duke has 1 and GT has zero.

Clawson has done a nice job at cultivating and developing players to give them an NFL shot, particularly as they compare to their incoming recruiting rankings.

More should be made of this... HINT HINT....

Last edited:
Is Bassey the first Deac expected to be drafted?

Realize that no WF player will get drafted before Saturday. Was interested to see that in the NFL Draft Tracker, 8 Deacons are listed:
https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/prospects/allPositions?college=Wake+Forest&page=1&status=ALL&year=2020

That is the same as Clemson and Miami, and more than every other ACC school, and it's really not close: UNC, Cuse and UVA all have 4. FWIW, State has 2, Duke has 1 and GT has zero.

Clawson has done a nice job at cultivating and developing players to give them an NFL shot, particularly as they compare to their incoming recruiting rankings.

More should be made of this... HINT HINT....

I'd put my money on Strnad being the first pick and think there's maybe a 5-10% chance he gets grabbed tomorrow night.

But noted on final point.

Back