• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UNC at Wake, Friday 9/13

Wow. This is the same idiot that came after me on Instagram yesterday.

This is always a good look for perspective employers et al. Always amazes me how oblivious people are to, um, their future.

It's particularly funny in light of this...

jasoncoe.png

Fastest 40 time I see listed for Howell is 4.99. Dude seems much more elusive than that, but if we can flush him out of the pocket (he seems to like to step up for running/passing lanes), then it should be game over.

Fastest 40 time I see listed for Howell is 4.99. Dude seems much more elusive than that, but if we can flush him out of the pocket (he seems to like to step up for running/passing lanes), then it should be game over.

4.99 should be wrong. He is a solid athlete but lacks elite top end speed or acceleration. However, he is thick enough where he can absorb a little bit of contact. He is a decent enough runner that we've called a few option plays thus far - see the 1:40 mark here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frOVe_3x5tI

He does a good job of keeping his eyes downfield, but thinks he can make any throw and when pressured has a habit of forcing throws instead of just throwing it away or running for a short gain. Of course all this analysis is only built on two games, so the sample size isn't big enough. Against South Carolina he was much more guilty of this and should have had one or two interceptions - he seemed to clean this up against Miami.

A goalline option play doesn’t require good speed.

4.99 should be wrong. He is a solid athlete but lacks elite top end speed or acceleration. However, he is thick enough where he can absorb a little bit of contact. He is a decent enough runner that we've called a few option plays thus far - see the 1:40 mark here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frOVe_3x5tI

He does a good job of keeping his eyes downfield, but thinks he can make any throw and when pressured has a habit of forcing throws instead of just throwing it away or running for a short gain. Of course all this analysis is only built on two games, so the sample size isn't big enough. Against South Carolina he was much more guilty of this and should have had one or two interceptions - he seemed to clean this up against Miami.

So what did/does he run? He ran a 4.99 at The Opening Finals before his Senior year. His ESPN profile lists his 40 time at 5.07. It's not like I'm making these numbers up.

I agree that he looks elusive with the ball (I've said Baker Mayfield-like), but he's not going to outrun any non-DT Wake defender in space. Which is why I think they should focus on gap control and flush him outside the pocket to create pressure and the risky throws you mention.

I was wrong regarding a Swahili war cry - it's a Zulu war cry, of course (from the film Zulu made in the 60s).

However, I think I settled on an ideal and simple sign for students:

Swahili Forever!

I was wrong regarding a Swahili war cry - it's a Zulu war cry, of course (from the film Zulu made in the 60s).

However, I think I settled on an ideal and simple sign for students:

Swahili Forever!

That should really get to them

maybe I've just been conditioned to believe that everyone runs a 4.5 and that a 4.99 or 5.07 is OL level slow. This will be my last post for awhile as I don't want to overstay my welcome. Other examples of his running are here, see 1:10 and 2:08. He is used occasionally as a runner but mostly uses his running skill to buy time to throw downfield. I think Wake can have success forcing him to scramble and hope/expect that he will make risky throws.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1Mm7_ldFI8

Opening is laser timed, so 4.99 is like a 4.72 hand timed 40.

He is not a dual-threat QB - nobody is going to game plan against him as a runner. But he has looked good for 3 halves of the first 2 games. Multiple looks and pressure early will be the key to rattling him.

Does Currie have more plans for Friday night ? Some more fireworks on national TV would be good.

Who's opening the gate ?

GO DEACS !:dancindeac:

He's getting the Kappas to not wear light blue; what else does the man have to do?

I don't know, I have a feeling we cover by about a touchdown. Losing Hinton is tough, but we should be able to expose their corners on the outside. Carney should run all over them (opponents have averaged 5.5 ypc and 6.9 ypc so far this year).

Obviously our defense is the main concern, but UNC beat South Caroina partly due to an easy missed interception by USC's defense and Miami had 100 more yards (also had 52 more penalty yards). UNC was also 2-10 in 3rd down efficiency. I personally think UNC has gotten a little bit lucky to this point (which is probably backed up by them remaining only 56th in SP+ despite beating two top 30 teams).

I also think we turn Sam Howell over twice, leading to a 10 point victory.

God I wish Miami could’ve played any fucking defense on that 4th and 17

Need a good ESPN sign.... Like Easy claSses oN Paper... obviously not that but something creative

Opening is laser timed, so 4.99 is like a 4.72 hand timed 40.

He is not a dual-threat QB - nobody is going to game plan against him as a runner. But he has looked good for 3 halves of the first 2 games. Multiple looks and pressure early will be the key to rattling him.

This. Bummed that Tyler is not going to be ready because I think he is our best player to pressure from the interior line.

God I wish Miami could’ve played any fucking defense on that 4th and 17

Why? It is way better to play a confident 2-0 UNC team than a 1-1 UNC team coming off a heartbreaking loss.

And just to be clear, Swahili Forever! is a play off Wakanda Forever. It is not really to "get to" the players, more to get on TV, I would think and embarrass the Tar Heel diaspora.

Look at me ginning up faux tribalism!

It's a huge loss not to have Kendall...especially in this game for shorter passes which should be part of our strategy. I hope Roberson steps up big time and also hope we move CBS around with either Cade or Walker giving them the business up the middle.

The best defense will win this game, though IMHO.

Why? It is way better to play a confident 2-0 UNC team than a 1-1 UNC team coming off a heartbreaking loss.

And just to be clear, Swahili Forever! is a play off Wakanda Forever. It is not really to "get to" the players, more to get on TV, I would think and embarrass the Tar Heel diaspora.

Look at me ginning up faux tribalism!

It would just look like Wake fans were mocking Africans. Very few people know or care about fake Swahili classes.

Back