• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trick plays

ChrisL68

Riley Skinner
Reaction score
I cannot distinctly remember any trick plays we have run during the Dave Clawson era. I am sure I'm not thinking of something. No fake punts no fake field goals no Gadget plays on offense. You would think Hinton as a former quarterback would be a natural for some sort of wide receiver passing set but nothing yet.

Normally when you score 59 points with 668 total yards you don’t need trick plays, Just need a little more defense and some special teams.

Normally when you score 59 points with 668 total yards you don’t need trick plays, Just need a little more defense and some special teams.

I expect to see one or two this year when we need them. We didn’t need them last night.

Yeah. Our offense doesn’t need tricks.

Needs a little more variety, especially in the run game I think.

Variety like more Walker. Some more misdirection would help too. Put Hinton in motion.

I cannot distinctly remember any trick plays we have run during the Dave Clawson era. I am sure I'm not thinking of something. No fake punts no fake field goals no Gadget plays on offense. You would think Hinton as a former quarterback would be a natural for some sort of wide receiver passing set but nothing yet.

I agree with this. Even Bill Dooley ran 2 orbit sweep passes for TD’s during the 1992 Independence Bowl year (vs Duke and Oregon). Clawson has done very well but more imagination on offense would make it harder to prepare for us.

I agree with this. Even Bill Dooley ran 2 orbit sweep passes for TD’s during the 1992 Independence Bowl year (vs Duke and Oregon). Clawson has done very well but more imagination on offense would make it harder to prepare for us.

We are coming off a game in which we scored 59 points and had a 680 yards of offense. We are second in the ACC in offense, just behind Clemson. The offense isn’t the problem.

We are coming off a game in which we scored 59 points and had a 680 yards of offense. We are second in the ACC in offense, just behind Clemson. The offense isn’t the problem.

And if you look at total yards, we are first in the ACC and fourth in the country.

Variety like more Walker. Some more misdirection would help too. Put Hinton in motion.

Yeah, he’s been MIA for the most part the last 2 games. Run Hinton on a sweep a couple times to make defenses honor it too.

I wasn't just referring to Saturday's game, but I did notice Louisville incorporating orbit plays including a pass out of one. Got to believe that it helps to confuse a defense.

I wasn't just referring to Saturday's game, but I did notice Louisville incorporating orbit plays including a pass out of one. Got to believe that it helps to confuse a defense.

Doesn’t hurt that Atwell may be the fastest player in college football.

Doesn’t hurt that Atwell may be the fastest player in college football.

True, but BC ran a halfback pass out the week before that got them 7 points in a close game.

Not saying that we should go all Cutcliffe, but it seems we are at the opposite extreme of never trying any fakery or misdirection.

The offense doesn’t need trick plays.

The defense needs to be more disciplined against trick plays.

Does that work for everyone?

The offense doesn’t need trick plays.

The defense needs to be more disciplined against trick plays.

Does that work for everyone?

I can't agree with the offense doesn't need trick plays. When you've got a guy like Hinton, you're being stupid if you don't have it in the play book. I think the point is if and when you use them. The object of the game is to score and you use whatever plays can help you do that. Even if a trick play involving Hinton doesn't work it can help loosen the defense up for those quick outs to Hinton if they think he may throw. I'm not saying we need to be running a "trick play" every game, but I sure hope we've got 1 or 2 in the playbook.

Maybe we should use a trick play on kickoffs. Just kick it out of bounds and let them start on their own 35 instead of Wake's 35.

This offense is probably the best in school history. At worst, it is top 3. I'm sure there are 2 or 3 trick plays that Clawson has up his sleeve, but he just hasn't needed them.

What if there was some type of trick play where the defense kept the other teams QB from scrambling for first downs over and over?

Maybe we should use a trick play on kickoffs. Just kick it out of bounds and let them start on their own 35 instead of Wake's 35.

This offense is probably the best in school history. At worst, it is top 3. I'm sure there are 2 or 3 trick plays that Clawson has up his sleeve, but he just hasn't needed them.

What if there was some type of trick play where the defense kept the other teams QB from scrambling for first downs over and over?

Yeah, I think we probably can all agree that our lack of use of trick plays ranks very, very low on our list of issues right now.

Variety or "trick play".....may be close to the same thing, at times.

Louisville had an extra-long timeout with the review. Im thinking now they were told by their coaches upstairs that we weren't following the qb. So run a simple counter. He did, cut up field, and put a game sealing td on us.

Counters, orbits, draws, screens, direct snap to Hinton as a halfback option, pitch out to Hinton, under center play action....these aren't really tricks but we never seem to see them....

Back