• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trick plays

True, but BC ran a halfback pass out the week before that got them 7 points in a close game.

Not saying that we should go all Cutcliffe, but it seems we are at the opposite extreme of never trying any fakery or misdirection.

OTOH, there is David Cutcliffe, who is so in love with trick plays that the opportunity to catch a team off guard is diminished and who often ends up outsmarting himself.

In this thread I’m reminded that a lot of posters have a very limited understanding of football.

OTOH, there is David Cutcliffe, who is so in love with trick plays that the opportunity to catch a team off guard is diminished and who often ends up outsmarting himself.

There was no outsmarting anyone but Cutcliffe. That was just incredibly stupid all the way around.

Cutcliffe wanted the story of the victory to be his genius rather than UNC making so many dumb mistakes that they handed Duke the game.

I truly don't understand that play at all. No way does UNC sell out to stop the run with 18 seconds left and Duke having no timeouts from the 2 yard line.

In this thread I’m reminded that a lot of posters have a very limited understanding of football.

Amen. Who don't have to live with the consequences. Punt blocks are great to go for up 21 but in tight games, roughing can give a team you have just fought hard and stopped a free possession. Ill go with Dave and give Hinton more chances.

Amen. Who don't have to live with the consequences. Punt blocks are great to go for up 21 but in tight games, roughing can give a team you have just fought hard and stopped a free possession. Ill go with Dave and give Hinton more chances.
I don't really consider a punt block a trick play. And it can be coached that you can take angles to avoid contacting the punter.

That's also a strange take for a wake fan because without phonzs punt blocking abilities we probably don't go to the Orange Bowl in 2006

I saw an amazing trick play in the nfl last week, cannot remember who it was - but the QB pitched it to the fullback who ran a few steps and then pitched it to another RB for an end around. It worked!

I don't really consider a punt block a trick play. And it can be coached that you can take angles to avoid contacting the punter.

That's also a strange take for a wake fan because without phonzs punt blocking abilities we probably don't go to the Orange Bowl in 2006

I was referring to post 40 on prior page. THIS year, our games have been mostly close enough that it didn't fit the circumstances. Appreciate Phonz's contribution to OB year and was there to cheer them on.

The 2006 offense struggled to move the ball, so a blocked punt meant that you recovered the ball in Swank's range or for a touchdown. If they got a roughing the kicker called, then it was still low risk, because the defense was good enough to force another 3 and out.

Compare that to the last few seasons. The offense is a threat to score any time. The smart play is to secure the opportunity for them to get the ball back.

I was referring to post 40 on prior page. THIS year, our games have been mostly close enough that it didn't fit the circumstances. Appreciate Phonz's contribution to OB year and was there to cheer them on.

Sorry, you didnt like my post but tough. The simple truth is in 6 years i dont recall a single time when we have gone after a punt and there have been plenty of approoriate times.

how about a fake punt against the tiggers? Trick play and doesn't mess up the flow of the offense.

Well, never mind that, you just gave it away

how about a fake punt against the tiggers? Trick play and doesn't mess up the flow of the offense.

A good fake punt would require Dom and/or one of the three backfield blockers to have running and/or throwing skill. If it would be a throw, the ends on the protection line would need to be decent receivers. Does Wake's current personnel setup have anybody who resembles that?

That's a TD if #89 doesn't inexplicably run past three defenders to block a guy on the other side of Terry. He could have picked the tackler.

How about really trying to block a punt once a decade? Phonz did that with regularity.
I suspect Clawson doesn’t see this team having the speed runner on defense to block it without roughing penalty.
Circumstances need to be optimal for a numbers guy like Clawson. Sure seems as if there have been some optimal times to take a shot.

I suspect Clawson doesn’t see this team having the speed runner on defense to block it without roughing penalty.
Circumstances need to be optimal for a numbers guy like Clawson. Sure seems as if there have been some optimal times to take a shot.

Risk v. reward analysis. In addition to assessing the probability of success, a roughing the punter penalty after a stop sucks the mojo right out of the defense. With the a potent offense like WF, we just want the ball for as many snaps as possible. Not sure its worth risking giving up a possession for the possibility of a block, when the offense is so likely to score on its own. Can understand the emphasis more on a punt block on a team with a stout defense and a weak offense.

Agree. Our punt coverage needs to focus on blocking for Hinton without penalties.

Back