• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Taggart just got canned and starts the Coaching Carousel early

That's what happened last year against Notre Dame and Alabama. No effect.

We beat Memphis in the Birmingham Bowl and they got preseason votes and we didn't.

Yet. And if the ACC performs well in bowls, sports media will say “How do you expect teams to get up to play ACC schools?”

This was a statement of historical fact. I don't expect any voters to go back and change their votes for the 2019 preseason AP poll. Now, based on that historical fact, I'd predict something similar for 2020, with Wake maybe getting a handful of votes.

Yet. And if the ACC performs well in bowls, sports media will say “How do you expect teams to get up to play ACC schools?”

See, this is a prediction ! I'd also say that writers who put a lot of stock in the previous season's bowl outcomes when creating their preseason poll 8 months later, are pretty lazy. On the other hand, analyzing which quarterbacks are coming back, and who left early, and how deep a team was last year, and how strong their recruiting classes from 2-3 years ago were perceived to be, is also a big undertaking and likely a bit of a waste of time.

See, this is a prediction ! I'd also say that writers who put a lot of stock in the previous season's bowl outcomes when creating their preseason poll 8 months later, are pretty lazy. On the other hand, analyzing which quarterbacks are coming back, and who left early, and how deep a team was last year, and how strong their recruiting classes from 2-3 years ago were perceived to be, is also a big undertaking and likely a bit of a waste of time.

It's not like I've got a ton of experience as a voter, but I hardly put any weight in bowl outcomes for preseason Top 25. There's too much variance of players sitting bowls out, unmotivated bowl teams, coaches/coordinators switching, etc.

I think I wrote this in my preseason Top 25 blog, or one of the early season ones, that I probably put too much stock in who's got a decent returning QB. Trying to adjust that next season. Preseason Top 25s are a crapshoot.

Yeah, i'm sure it is a crapshoot. Take a look at Texas -- big bowl win, returning hot quarterback, no real defense to speak of, preseason #10 ranking, finished the season unranked at 7-5 (which is somehow good enough for T-3rd in the Big 12), with Utah still on their plate.

Still, are Memphis and Cincinnati loads better than Texas at this point ? I think not.

This was a statement of historical fact. I don't expect any voters to go back and change their votes for the 2019 preseason AP poll. Now, based on that historical fact, I'd predict something similar for 2020, with Wake maybe getting a handful of votes.

Typo. It should have been Yes not Yet.

The only silver lining I've seen in our ugly end of season is not seeing Clawson on this great recap of coaching hires / fires (including grades for each hire).

Boston College is the lone remaining vacancy. Fresno State is also still open along with New Mexico.

The only silver lining I've seen in our ugly end of season is not seeing Clawson on this great recap of coaching hires / fires (including grades for each hire).

Boston College is the lone remaining vacancy. Fresno State is also still open along with New Mexico.

It's not really a silver lining. It reflects the lackluster end to the season.

Thought experiment - Which of the coaches hired since the end of the season would have been acceptable as a replacement for Clawson?

Waiting until Monday allows BC’s new head coach to coach Navy this weekend before announcing. Similar to how other schools waited until after conference championship games to announce their new coach.

Ugggh, we're getting another triple option experiment in our own division ? That sucks. At least Navy might not be running it whenever we play them next.

Makes sense for a program with a rep for getting good OL and RB.

More than it did for Tech or the vast majority of P5 programs.

Back