• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Inside the slow death of Wake Forest basketball: A motorcycle, silence and stubborn h

And it is exactly this reason that Mr. Currie's silence in response to the article is quite deafening. If Currie was going to bring DM back he would have defended/countered such a scathing indictment of our BB program. The fact there is nothing tells me all I need to know. Would be absolutely shocked if DM isn't fired within 72 hours of our last game.

VIBES!!!!

Also funny its labeled slow death. There was nothing slow about it. Ronnie canned Dino for [ ] and we were horrible out of the gate under that man. The fact we stuck with him more than 2 years should be reason for a lawsuit against Ronnie for gross negligence. It was absurd how bad a recruiter, coach, spokesperson, representative, everything that he was but yet we stuck with the man. And of course DM insured the death wasn't a short term deal but that the rigor mortis would last a full decade. Yet more gross negligence. Just amazing how bad Ronnie managed BB compared to other sports.

And it is exactly this reason that Mr. Currie's silence in response to the article is quite deafening. If Currie was going to bring DM back he would have defended/countered such a scathing indictment of our BB program. The fact there is nothing tells me all I need to know. Would be absolutely shocked if DM isn't fired within 72 hours of our last game.

After a decade of kicking fans in the nuts, nothing this admin does would "shock" me. I hope your theory is correct. I just wouldn't bet your house on it.

Currie has been active in social media and in other channels. So the fact that he chose not to comment for an extensive piece on our flagship program is counter to the image he is trying to promote of being engaged and visible.

If he hasn't fired Danny, what do you think he would legitimately say?

Maybe he should do like Dave Odom did in trying to "motivate" Ricky Peral (who led the nation in three point shooting the year before) and say he was like a corpse. That worked so well and was so classy.

I think you are about a week early in your timing. IMHO, Currie won't do anything until after selection Sunday. So about a week after Wake's last game. There will be an "evaluation and review time and process."

And he's not going to until March, at the earliest. Did you really expect anything to be said in mid-February?

I think you missed the point. It's unreasonable to expect him to say "yeah we're firing him" in this space. But he could just have easily submitted a quote to acknowledge the story and the miserable status of the program.

That's not an answer on what you wanted him to say, just that you wanted him to say something. My argument was that anything that he could have said for that article you and/or other posters would have taken even more negatively than saying nothing at all.

In that case, your argument is wrong. He's the face of our athletics. Saying anything is better than saying nothing. Sure, a feeble vote of confidence in Manning would've been met with disdain. But Currie could've just as easily said something like "Our goal as an athletic department is to return our men's basketball program to its rightful place at the top of the ACC" yada yada yada.

In that case, your argument is wrong. He's the face of our athletics. Saying anything is better than saying nothing. Sure, a feeble vote of confidence in Manning would've been met with disdain. But Currie could've just as easily said something like "Our goal as an athletic department is to return our men's basketball program to its rightful place at the top of the ACC" yada yada yada.

And you would have genuinely been happy with that statement? I find it hard to believe that after a statement like that from Currie in this article, people here would have been upbeat or pleased with our AD saying that. The prevailing sentiment on this board (which is one I wouldn't agree with but that's besides the point) would have been:

"He's a Wellman-clone, I won't believe a word out of his mouth until he does something." or "Just heaping empty promises onto a pile of shit like always."

Until he actually does something about it, none of us are going to really sit up and notice or care, and I think his choice to say nothing means that it's more likely that he plans to do something than if he tried to soften the blow of that article by adding a statement.

How about he's silent bc Manning is, and will continue to be, here due to his huge buyout? Who says one year makes a significant difference? He's not going to say "Yeah, Manning sucks all right and people are understandably frustrated. But we can't afford to buy him out until 2022." (I just picked a future year. I have no knowledge or insight into this).

How about he's silent bc Manning is, and will continue to be, here due to his huge buyout? Who says one year makes a significant difference? He's not going to say "Yeah, Manning sucks all right and people are understandably frustrated. But we can't afford to buy him out until 2022." (I just picked a future year. I have no knowledge or insight into this).

Wake can't afford to NOT buy him out. While none of us (apparently) knows the details of the contract, I can estimate that Wake is probably losing pretty close to that $3m a year figure in lost revenue ... ticket sales, concession/parking revenue, apparel sales, Deacon Club donations. I call BS on the contention that Wake cannot afford to can Manning. Wake cannot afford to NOT do it. Every year Manning is here, the hole gets deeper and the finances get worse.

Wake can't afford to NOT buy him out. While none of us (apparently) knows the details of the contract, I can estimate that Wake is probably losing pretty close to that $3m a year figure in lost revenue ... ticket sales, concession/parking revenue, apparel sales, Deacon Club donations. I call BS on the contention that Wake cannot afford to can Manning. Wake cannot afford to NOT do it. Every year Manning is here, the hole gets deeper and the finances get worse.

Not to mention ad revenue. Interest levels in the program (butts in seats, radio listeners, etc) translates directly into ad revenue. Keeping Manning costs more than it saves. Game attendance will only continue to go down.

So Wellman and Currie are obviously both men of a certain ego. Wellman’s ego was to run things the way he wanted; my current uninformed theory is that Currie’s ego is one that doesn’t want to oversee an embarrassing basketball program. I think he’s got the firing lined up.

It's going to be kind of funny when (if) Manning gets fired...

There will be a huge celebration and burst of activity around here.

The rest of the world won't even notice. It might make the list of "Top Headlines" on the side of ESPN.com... But way down the list and probably only for an hour or two.

The firing won’t bring a lot of attention, true. What will is hiring someone who would register on the national radar, like Thad Matta.

So Wellman murdered the basketball program because someone dissed him and his fragile ego could not handle it.

What a punk.

Really? CEO's don't know more than many of their employees in a specialized area, but if you march into their office, disagree on the direction and then are disrespectful (imply they are an idiot or have a fit about it) it's likely you are gone or soon to be gone. No idea if this is what happened but if the speculation is that Dino told Wellman to his face 'you don't know crap about basketball' it's not going to end well. That's not Wellman 'that's life' (see what I did there).

If Dino did make 'unethical' and false threats to members of this board, I could easily see him blowing up at his boss.

I think if Currie responded he'd be put in a position of needing to give a vote of confidence, and since we would not know what that really meant it would not go down well.

If he acknowledges what we know, we've sucked for 10 years, he's in a position where he'd have to give some indication how's he's going to fix it, which we all know is to fire the coach and make a decent hire.

It's more like 'if you can say something nice don't say anything at all'. I take silence as a good sign, if DM is staying why wouldn't you defend the crap show we have now?

Really? CEO's don't know more than many of their employees in a specialized area, but if you march into their office, disagree on the direction and then are disrespectful (imply they are an idiot or have a fit about it) it's likely you are gone or soon to be gone. No idea if this is what happened but if the speculation is that Dino told Wellman to his face 'you don't know crap about basketball' it's not going to end well. That's not Wellman 'that's life' (see what I did there).

If Dino did make 'unethical' and false threats to members of this board, I could easily see him blowing up at his boss.

I think if Currie responded he'd be put in a position of needing to give a vote of confidence, and since we would not know what that really meant it would not go down well.

If he acknowledges what we know, we've sucked for 10 years, he's in a position where he'd have to give some indication how's he's going to fix it, which we all know is to fire the coach and make a decent hire.

It's more like 'if you can say something nice don't say anything at all'. I take silence as a good sign, if DM is staying why wouldn't you defend the crap show we have now?

Even if Dino was disrespectful, that is no excuse to do what Wellman did. A smarter AD with a little less pronounced ego would have just said "okay" and began a search. When he was confident that he had a suitable replacement, then he could have fired Dino. He fucked all of us just because his ego could not handle a little back talk. What an ass.

I think you missed the point. It's unreasonable to expect him to say "yeah we're firing him" in this space. But he could just have easily submitted a quote to acknowledge the story and the miserable status of the program.

He said that when he was hired, and has repeated it whenever asked what his vision was for any of our athletic teams; that's what AD's do. His giving a similar response to the article as you have proposed falls into the ultimate, insulting "no shit Sherlock" category; I prefer his complete silence followed by quick and decisive action when the season is over.

Currie was wise not to comment. The problem is obvious and of a long standing nature. The solution is as obvious and requires action. Let your actions be your commentary at a time of your choosing.

So Wellman and Currie are obviously both men of a certain ego. Wellman’s ego was to run things the way he wanted; my current uninformed theory is that Currie’s ego is one that doesn’t want to oversee an embarrassing basketball program. I think he’s got the firing lined up.

This is my impression of Currie too. Wellman did things a lot on gut feel whereas Currie appears to have a more clinical approach to running an AD.

Currie was wise not to comment. The problem is obvious and of a long standing nature. The solution is as obvious and requires action. Let your actions be your commentary at a time of your choosing.

Yep

This is my impression of Currie too. Wellman did things a lot on gut feel whereas Currie appears to have a more clinical approach to running an AD.
Judging what Currie has done at his past AD stops, it appears that he went with the nuclear option several times, and it didn't turn out that great for him. So, maybe this time, he is trying to appease Wellman, the gray hairs, the Shahs, the Suttons, but will be ready to move in March.

Back