• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Inside the slow death of Wake Forest basketball: A motorcycle, silence and stubborn h

The fact is, Danny Manning did not have the requisite skill to go from coaching Tulsa to coaching Wake Forest.
It's an unarguable fact at this point. Hindsight 20/20 and all that palaver.

And, dammingly, he assembled an initial coaching staff just as deficient in experience and knowledge as he was, seemingly. He's perhaps tried to learn on the job, but, I question that. At any rate, he's failed. Some can take a new job with little experience and find success. Danny has not.

The fact is, Danny Manning did not have the requisite skill to go from coaching Tulsa to coaching Wake Forest.
It's an unarguable fact at this point. Hindsight 20/20 and all that palaver.

And, dammingly, he assembled an initial coaching staff just as deficient in experience and knowledge as he was, seemingly. He's perhaps tried to learn on the job, but, I question that. At any rate, he's failed. Some can take a new job with little experience and find success. Danny has not.

Manning wasn't particularly good at Tulsa either. He got hot for half a season, but you have to go back to the '70s to find a permanent coach with a worse record.

Conor - any thoughts on where you (and the other voters) will pencil in Sarr when you vote for the all-ACC teams?

he's #3 in the ACC in PER; #6 in WS/40; #2 in rebounds, top 20 in scoring

he does play for a horrible team but so did Ky Bowman last year - Bowman's advanced stats were not as good although his counting stat (points) was stronger

That's an interesting question that I honestly don't have an answer for at this point. I've got it penciled in to start a draft of the All-ACC teams/awards on Wednesday.

Off the top of my head, for the 15 All-ACC spots, you've gotta have: Nwora, Carey, Mooney, Tre Jones, Forrest, Vassell (probably), Hughes, Diakite.

That leaves 7 spots -- seemingly a ton of possibilities for those.

Blowing a 10 point lead to UVA in the last 56 seconds was the worst end of game coaching in WF history. The 11 win seasons during the senior season of CMM and D Thomas (Crawford, Collins and Moore were freshmen) and the junior years of Crawford and Moore were the worst coaching years in WF history because we had good talent both years. Enough.

You could argue Manning actually has done a pretty terrible job coaching this year, playing Torry Johnson over Neath all year is damn criminal. Manning is stubborn and has terrible lineup combinations. this is year 6 with a plenty of experienced upperclassmen. with good coaching we have 10 ACC wins right now. in year 6 Manning is the same shitty coach hes always been and Duke blowing a 9 point lead with 1:15 doesnt change that.

Reminder, Danny only played a better lineup against ND because he didn't have Torry Johnson to screw it up. Saar has played lights out but the guard choices and versatility of Mucius sure helped. Jaybone, one ok month out of 6 yrs is an embarrassment of epic proportions. Beat UNC and State and then lose to Miami in the Newly christened Danny Manning Invitational.

Reminder, Danny only played a better lineup against ND because he didn't have Torry Johnson to screw it up. Saar has played lights out but the guard choices and versatility of Mucius sure helped. Jaybone, one ok month out of 6 yrs is an embarrassment of epic proportions. Beat UNC and State and then lose to Miami in the Newly christened Danny Manning Invitational.

Where did I say it wasn't? In fact, I basically said what you're saying. It is somehow hard to not gin up conflict on things we agree on. Amazes me. Still.

Last edited:
Sarr is this seasons John Collins. His play is helping Manning potentially return for another sub .500 season.

Back