• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Inside the slow death of Wake Forest basketball: A motorcycle, silence and stubborn h

Decently written article, nothing new in there. Disappointed that the author uncritically parrots some of the "culture" bullshit about the Dino firing. He notes that some allegedly bad seeds (Clark, JT Terrell) were recruited by Dino, but ignores that Wellman and Redacted retained those kids and promoted one of them to team captain.

Decently well written? It's fantastic. The fact that Charlotte / Raleigh papers even give enough of a shit about wake basketball to give it a full column is a miracle unto itself. Only missing item in here is plainly laying out the the [Redacted] and Manning eras individually are among I believe the 5 worst tenures of any ACC coaches in history.

Decently well written? It's fantastic. The fact that Charlotte / Raleigh papers even give enough of a shit about wake basketball to give it a full column is a miracle unto itself. Only missing item in here is plainly laying out the the [Redacted] and Manning eras individually are among I believe the 5 worst tenures of any ACC coaches in history.

This. Exactly what I thought as well.

Phenomenal article... Came here to post it and was glad to see there was already a thread.

The quotes from Gaudio are the best. That guy is a class act, especially considering he was booted out of here.

Not nearly enough commentary about the [Redacted] years (it almost suggests that Jeff had the program on the up) and the ineptitude of the athletic department. But did a decent job of highlighting Danny's incompetence.

Also, loved this:

The Shah Basketball Complex is named after Wake alum Mit Shaw

The Dino quote (and I like Dino FWIW) about taking 5-6 years to rebuild is total bullshit. As a Louisville coach he wants to see Wake suck as much as possible therefore he is supporting Manning. But in college hoops it takes 2-3 years tops to rebuild a program.

The Dino quote (and I like Dino FWIW) about taking 5-6 years to rebuild is total bullshit. As a Louisville coach he wants to see Wake suck as much as possible therefore he is supporting Manning. But in college hoops it takes 2-3 years tops to rebuild a program.
Maybe that but I don't think Dino is really keen on talking down about a fellow coach so he likely provided some cover for that reason as well.

Last edited:
I feel like some of you didn't read the article.

Yeah, Dino isn't overly harsh on Manning... But of course he isn't going to slam the current head coach.

He's pretty clear about Bz running things into the ground and Manning having a tough rebuild... But he also mentions how terrible the atmosphere was when they played last year. I thought Dino threaded the needle very well with his comments.

Beyond that, it's pretty clear in the article that Bz was a disaster... Regardless of the 17-16 record in the 4th year.

They probably don’t give a shit about Wake basketball. But they’ve got to publish something every day.

Decently well written? It's fantastic. The fact that Charlotte / Raleigh papers even give enough of a shit about wake basketball to give it a full column is a miracle unto itself. Only missing item in here is plainly laying out the the [name redacted] and Manning eras individually are among I believe the 5 worst tenures of any ACC coaches in history.

Agree, BUT, their coverage is selective. I don't even think they have had an article on 2 out of our last 3 games. I am a daily subscriber and didn't see anything in the print edition, unless i missed it. Same with football coverage. We have the best football program in the state. After the season ended, they did a preview of next year for each ACC team. I didn't see one on Wake, but i did for the other state schools in the ACC. In fairness to the Observer, those articles were run over the holidays, so i may have missed that one., if the write one.

Agree, BUT, their coverage is selective. I don't even think they have had an article on 2 out of our last 3 games. I am a daily subscriber and didn't see anything in the print edition, unless i missed it. Same with football coverage. We have the best football program in the state. After the season ended, they did a preview of next year for each ACC team. I didn't see one on Wake, but i did for the other state schools in the ACC. In fairness to the Observer, those articles were run over the holidays, so i may have missed that one., if the write one.

The Raleigh sports page is 2.5 pages per day at this point and starting this week, no Saturday print at all. They could easily choose to skip Wake altogether. And between State, UNC and Duke they have plenty of material

My thought too.

"departures of John Collins and Dinos Mitoglou in 2017. Manning and his staff had not planned on replacing either before they left"

Seriously? Collins blew up in the 2nd half of that year. People hoped he would stay, but I think most expected him to leave. I get being surprised about Dinos, particularly given the timing.

After the Tuesday game in the ACC Tournament next month, Manning will probably use Hoard leaving as an excuse for the season. It's like Wake is the only school that doesn't understand that players with pro potential may leave the program.

I didn’t think it was a particularly well written article. Perhaps I’m spoiled by Conor’s work. I’m glad someone put most of the facts together for a larger audience.

I think I feel worst for current players. Because stuff like this from Mucius is actually probably true:

“This game kind of shows where we’re at,” Isaiah Mucius, a sophomore forward, said afterward. Wake persevered without two of its best players, both injured. “I think we’re getting better as the season goes on, and we’re taking those steps that people outside really don’t really see.

“Practices have been a lot different than last year. Dudes are really competing.”

But they have such a massive disadvantage with the coaching and with the big picture stuff from this coaching staff, that it doesn't matter. Whether or not these kids work their asses off (and I'm actually inclined to believe that this year has seen more of that than some others), they are still going to lose a lot of games. But they are so immersed in everything, they aren't going to recognize that and they will probably blame themselves mostly.

Back