• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report -- UNC - Tuesday Night 8 pm - ACCN

UNC's is weak, and Roys Boys were deflated after the collapse against Duke. With that said, when WF is healthy, the team can play with anyone in the ACC, even at L'ville. As stated above, WF has led at halftime in 7 of its last 8 ACC games; that does not happen with inferior talent. This team has weapons; they just have no clue on how to close out games. WF has pissed away several games recently which would've made this season a lot different:

- @ Clemson led 47-39 with 15:23 to go - 67% WF win probability
- UVA led 40-28 with 17:36 to - 85% win probability (also led with less than a minute to go)
- @ L'ville led 49-35 with 19:25 to go 51% win probability
- @ Cuse led 69-65 with 4:23 to go 69% win probability

With 7 games to go, and only one really good opponent (Duke) left, will be hard for WF to not win a few more, but I'm sure WF will find away to lose more than it should.

There’s a real chance this team goes down as the second best of the past 10 years. Think about that.

A little worried he may come back next year. Anthony, not Manning. Manning is gone.

Agreed.

NCAAT or bust for Manning this season and the current 13th place ACC standings hole is awfully deep....

I think the team has been doing a hell of a job. I try and support them in the 2020 way (instagram and twitter likes lol). I just hope Currie has a plan he's sticking to regardless of the very occasional unexpected win. I honestly believe Manning's fate was already decided based on his contract, whether he goes .500 or .125 in ACC plan. We can either afford his huge buyout or we can't. A NCAA tourney bid was never in the cards for this team, and that was really the only way Manning could have "earned" another year IMO, and even he did that I'm not sure I would vote for another year given his dismal recruiting ratings.

WF would need to win the ACC Tourney to make the NCAAs, and WF has won 4 ACC games in a row once in the last 9 years (2017).

FWIW, WF has lost its last 11 ACC games after a conference win.... Success doesn't last long under Manning.

I think the team has been doing a hell of a job. I try and support them in the 2020 way (instagram and twitter likes lol). I just hope Currie has a plan he's sticking to regardless of the very occasional unexpected win. I honestly believe Manning's fate was already decided based on his contract, whether he goes .500 or .125 in ACC plan. We can either afford his huge buyout or we can't. A NCAA tourney bid was never in the cards for this team, and that was really the only way Manning could have "earned" another year IMO, and even he did that I'm not sure I would vote for another year given his dismal recruiting ratings.

This x 1000

Manning now has an extensive track record as a head coach. It’s obviously very bad. But if Currie/others decide to keep him for god knows what reason it won’t be because we beat UNC last night. Similarly if we have decided to move on there’s nothing he could do this year short of a miracle tourney run to change that outcome.

WooHoo!! We beat the last place team.

Of course, the fact we're NOT the last place team is reason enough to celebrate. At least while it lasts.

Manning would need wins on and after the next Friday the 13th to be brought back for basketball reasons. Financial and other considerations may have him around anyway.

Roy Williams in his post game press conference, "...better coaching, everything that was involved in the course of the game they had it better than we did."

A little hyperbole here, methinks.

Every other ACC coach wants Danny to stay!

So this! No ACC coach wants to see Danny boy go and see their automatic Ws go with him. Every coach will heap praise on Danny if they think it helps the slightest iota to keep him around as their rented mule.

Roy knows full well he has no talent outside Cole and will be restocking with more Mcd AAs next year so he throws a gratuitous shout out to Danny to avoid our program having a turnaround from the depths of perdition

Man Coke Anthony was hugely underwhelming. Assumed this would be the type of game where he puts up great individual numbers in a losing effort but he looked terrible. Probably costing himself a ton of money.

Lil Chill had a lot to do with how Anthony "looked" last night. I think Chill was great last night. Besides a few forced shots he was great. Very happy that he got a win against UNC.

LOL. Valvano used to heap praise on Staak all the time. They were personal friends, but I am sure he enjoyed those guaranteed W's from the most snakebit coach in history. Valvano used to say "Bob Staak is a very good coach for Wake Forest." I then teased my State friends when they had a bad coach like Les Robinson, Herb Sendek, Sidney Lowe, Gottfried, or Chuck the Chest in football, "<Insert Coach> is a very good coach... for NC State." I'm sure they're back saying "Danny Manning is a very good coach... for Wake Forest."

He still took the most shots on the team with 14. That’s still a lot.

At least a few times on forced shots, it seemed he reeeaaalllllly wanted to score against Cole Anthony. Felt like it was personal.

Lil Chill had a lot to do with how Anthony "looked" last night. I think Chill was great last night. Besides a few forced shots he was great. Very happy that he got a win against UNC.

I agree that Brandon was really focused on playing hard against Anthony and did a good job. But I also saw Chaundee on Anthony a number of times and I think his strength and length really bothered Anthony.

At least a few times on forced shots, it seemed he reeeaaalllllly wanted to score against Cole Anthony. Felt like it was personal.

It definitely was. Anthony waved off more than one screen so he could take Brandon one on one. Brandon's a quick guard, but Anthony's first step is fantastic.

Pilch's KP reports are the best thing on the sports board during hoops season. Another job well done, and they are just as good after the game as before. We suck so much that my mother-in-law reminded me that we played Carolina before the game.

Back