• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

Ok, but criticize the paper and it’s content, not the outlet. Unless it’s a pay to play predatory journal, there is really no reason to make the publication outlet your first line of attack on the quality of a research study.

This is a pay-to-play open access journal. It costs $1750 to publish an article.

Hey Rafi, if you've got $1750, can anyone pay and get published? :)

This is a pay-to-play open access journal. It costs $1750 to publish an article.

Elsevier is not a predatory journal company...well, any not more than any academic journal. And $1750 is not bad for an open access fee. Just for comparison, Nature Communication charges authors over $5000 to publish open access. Perhaps publishing in a dinky journal that only cost $1750 is because they couldn’t afford a place like Nature. If the paper sucks then it sucks but the outlet is a weak place to making your argument. I’ll stop now though.

Kudos to those of you discussing research journals over the past couple of pages. Reading differences of opinion and thought among individuals with obvious expertise can be enlightening...and occur without rancor. Who would have thought that could be possible?

So is this #science and are these the #experts? Yay or nay? Still trying to figure out what/who I should be following since it is supposed to be so simple.

One thing I can't understand about the media hype ... this virus obviously is most concerning for those with preexisting conditions that render them unhealthy. So seemingly the opposite should be true, with obvious anecdotal exceptions, the healthier you are the better off you should be, in general. Yet all we hear is WEAR A MASK!, not EXERCISE! or TAKE YOUR VITAMIN C AND D! or GET FRESH AIR! As usual, the victim mentality of the media is set up so that people can blame others for getting sick (that SOB isn't wearing a mask and got me sick!) instead of themselves (maybe I should stop smoking and go for a run and drink some OJ!)

Wear a mask, 2&2.

I wore an American flag fishing face shield. Plenty of people in masks, fire trucks, people in the street, flags, and streamers. Slushee and ice cream vendors. No looting, overturned cars, or yelling at cops. All in all a successful peaceful protest.

So is this #science and are these the #experts? Yay or nay? Still trying to figure out what/who I should be following since it is supposed to be so simple.

One thing I can't understand about the media hype ... this virus obviously is most concerning for those with preexisting conditions that render them unhealthy. So seemingly the opposite should be true, with obvious anecdotal exceptions, the healthier you are the better off you should be, in general. Yet all we hear is WEAR A MASK!, not EXERCISE! or TAKE YOUR VITAMIN C AND D! or GET FRESH AIR! As usual, the victim mentality of the media is set up so that people can blame others for getting sick (that SOB isn't wearing a mask and got me sick!) instead of themselves (maybe I should stop smoking and go for a run and drink some OJ!)

Genius. Why don’t all those people with asthma and diabetes and cancer just drink more Sunny D?

I didn't realize that only people with asthma and diabetes and cancer were the ones being told to wear a mask. Good to know.

People are asked to wear face masks (note: not thin breathable fishing shields) to stop from spreading the virus to vulnerable people. But according to your expert advice, they’ll be just fine if they pop a flinstones gummy once a day. I’m sure the will be relieved to hear it.

Last edited:
I didn't realize that only people with asthma and diabetes and cancer were the ones being told to wear a mask. Good to know.

What you don’t seem to realize is that by wearing a mask you avoiding unknowingly spreading...ahh fuck it. If you won’t listen to Dr. Faucci why the fuck would you listen to an ornithologist on a sports chat board.

It’s all science, some of it is just better than others. Like trolling.

There is no evidence that exercise, vitamin C, vitamin D, or fresh air have any bearing on the transmission or severity of coronavirus. There is a lot of evidence that masks decrease viral spread.

Be careful if you think you don’t have a pre-existing condition - 70% of US adults have a BMI that categorizes them as overweight or obese and 45% have hypertension.

I'm in two of the high risk categories, age and preexisting conditions. On the rare occasions I must leave the house, I observe the simple directions of wearing a mask, maintaining social distance etc. When entering a business, if others aren't observing those simple courtesies I'll leave and try later. The responsibility is on me to protect my life. I'll probably need to maintain this withdrawal from society much longer than necessary because a large minority of people refuse to consider the consequences of their behavior on others. That seems selfish to me but I've lived long enough to expect selfish behavior from people. As a consequence, that selfishness has led to an unsurprising increase in Covid-19 cases. The disease is patient and persistent. Eventually it will dent the hardest of heads by the sheer magnitude of cases and fatalities. This isn't about rights. It isn't about politics. It's about a disease unknown and possibly nonexistent one year ago. There are no experts, just people trying to learn. The best and brightest have suggested some common sense behaviors to minimize the impact of the disease. You're either part of the problem or part of the solution. People will realize this or they will learn it the hard way. Unfortunately, the hard way may mean the death of a friend or loved one. Everyone has a choice. This is fairly simple if you allow it to be simple. My two cents.

Just in case you've forgotten that COVID sucks even if you don't die.

"They are appropriately realizing that isolation is a risk for them as well — it's a risk factor for depression, and depression is a risk factor for suicide," Jacobs says. "And 8% of American teens attempt suicide each year."

Jacobs says many of her young patients complain older generations failed to address the young people's fears — of school shootings and climate change, for example.

"After not being protected, after not being taken seriously, they were asked to take extreme measures to protect other groups and to put themselves at risk by doing so," Jacobs says.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...ople-fear-social-isolation-more-than-covid-19

What you don’t seem to realize is that by wearing a mask you avoiding unknowingly spreading...ahh fuck it. If you won’t listen to Dr. Faucci why the fuck would you listen to an ornithologist on a sports chat board.

Yeah no shit. But wouldn't another defense to spreading it to be not to get it in the first place or run through it as quickly as possible? If your body is better equipped to fight it off, then you you lower the risk of spreading it to someone else.

Yeah no shit. But wouldn't another defense to spreading it to be not to get it in the first place or run through it as quickly as possible? If your body is better equipped to fight it off, then you you lower the risk of spreading it to someone else.

I think you just answered your own question.

But also the problem is spreading to vulnerable elderly family members while you are "running through it as quickly as possible"

106457991_10219545444921433_8313724101501441085_n.jpg

Back