• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

Nick Cordero died today. If you hadn't heard of him, basically a 41 year old broadway actor who's been in the hospital for 3 months, had a leg amputated, and his wife was like giving constant updates on his condition the past 3 months. Following those updates are largely what have been freaking me out the past few months. Around my age, no pre-existing conditions, seemed fairly fit.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/nick-cordero-dies-covid-19-015516875.html

2&2: “Doesn’t matter, young people have mild symptoms and don’t di...oh”

Nick Cordero died today. If you hadn't heard of him, basically a 41 year old broadway actor who's been in the hospital for 3 months, had a leg amputated, and his wife was like giving constant updates on his condition the past 3 months. Following those updates are largely what have been freaking me out the past few months. Around my age, no pre-existing conditions, seemed fairly fit.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/nick-cordero-dies-covid-19-015516875.html

Understanding why a low percentage of otherwise healthy people have such bad cases will go a long way toward understanding the disease overall. I bet his blood type was A-, for one thing... I've read they have identified some genetic markers associated with people that have bad outcomes, as well.

Understanding why a low percentage of otherwise healthy people have such bad cases will go a long way toward understanding the disease overall. I bet his blood type was A-, for one thing... I've read they have identified some genetic markers associated with people that have bad outcomes, as well.

The blood type A thing is so frustrating. I'm A, and three of my four kids are A. It fucking sucks that we don't better understand the impact/link.

2&2: “Doesn’t matter, young people have mild symptoms and don’t di...oh”

Per the CDC numbers, as of July 1 there have been 2,913 deaths of people under the age of 45. Out of roughly 2.8 million total cases who have gotten tested and tested positive. Perform the risk analysis in your own discretion. Hopefully you use that same risk assessment for other aspects of your life such as driving, swimming, eating red meat, drinking, smoking, keeping a cell phone in your pocket next to your nuts, and walking in a lightning storm.

The blood type A thing is so frustrating. I'm A, and three of my four kids are A. It fucking sucks that we don't better understand the impact/link.

My son and I are A+, as are both of my parents.

My wife is sweet, sweet O-.

Per the CDC numbers, as of July 1 there have been 2,913 deaths of people under the age of 45. Out of roughly 2.8 million total cases who have gotten tested and tested positive. Perform the risk analysis in your own discretion. Hopefully you use that same risk assessment for other aspects of your life such as driving, swimming, eating red meat, drinking, smoking, keeping a cell phone in your pocket next to your nuts, and walking in a lightning storm.

You obviously don’t give a shit about people like me, in my 60s with a medical condition. It’s great that so few people under forty-five have died and have a low risk factor. How many people my age have careless, inconsiderate people under forty-five infected?

How many times are you going to keep posting death rates as your sole focus? As if there are only two outcomes, instant death and zero symptoms, ignoring the entire spectrum of outcomes in between. Not to mention the potential future issues from having the virus in your body.

You obviously don’t give a shit about people like me, in my 60s with a medical condition. It’s great that so few people under forty-five have died and have a low risk factor. How many people my age have careless, inconsiderate people under forty-five infected?

As Rafi said, we won't know the true impact Covid has had on younger people for years to come. Those who have it may have lifetime lung and other respiratory issues which impact other conditions. The fact that fewer people under die today of Covid doesn't mean they won't die later due having had Covid in the past.

This question needs to be asked - Is Brews the Typhoid Mary of Covid?

The Governor of NJ has said there hot spots in multiple states that originated from a wedding in Myrtle Beach. Add to these groups, all the people who have gone to Myrtle Beach and taken the virus with them.

How many of them were drinking Brew's beers? How many lost inhibitions because of board pusher man?

The risk of someone less than age 45 that catches COVID19 dying is magnitudes higher than the risk of death from anything you listed. Making claims like you do, when you have no knowledge of medicine or epidemiology, is really dumb of you.

I'm sure you'll try to come back with some terribly basic death rate statistics for deaths from driving - before you do, consider the exposure (number of hours driving vs number of hours with COVID19).

I do give a shit. If you are in that situation then you should isolate for sure. But the rest of the country can't and shouldn't stop functioning while you isolate and wait for a miracle cure to fall from the sky.

How many times are you going to keep posting death rates as your sole focus? As if there are only two outcomes, instant death and zero symptoms, ignoring the entire spectrum of outcomes in between. Not to mention the potential future issues from having the virus in your body.

The vast majority of said spectrum for the vast, vast majority of people are flu-like symptoms for 2-5 days. So yes, the death rate should be the sole focus of a deadly disease for which we are shutting down massive sections of our economy and society. Flu-like symptoms for a few days should not generate this type of response under any circumstances; the death rate is and should be the sole focus.

I do give a shit. If you are in that situation then you should isolate for sure. But the rest of the country can't and shouldn't stop functioning while you isolate and wait for a miracle cure to fall from the sky.

My wife has to go out. My daughter has to go out. It’s not unreasonable to think they could get infected by idiots like those we saw on the news at holiday weekend parties. It’s not so much that people are going out. It’s the appalling lack of responsibility and concern for others those people are demonstrating when they do go out in public.

It’s like they’re saying, “I’m young. The death statistics say I’m highly likely to survive even if I do get this thing. So fuck everyone else. I’m going to do whatever I want to do.”

The vast majority of said spectrum for the vast, vast majority of people are flu-like symptoms for 2-5 days. So yes, the death rate should be the sole focus of a deadly disease for which we are shutting down massive sections of our economy and society. Flu-like symptoms for a few days should not generate this type of response under any circumstances; the death rate is and should be the sole focus.

That's crazy. What about the tens of thousands that will be carrying infirmities with them for the rest of their lives?

What if it's your wife or kid that is part of the death rate due to morons being in public without masks or distancing or caught in a store?

Your cold, callous and lack of empathy are staggering.

I love how 2&2 uses all 2.8M cases as his denominator in his “analysis” of the risk for people 45 and under.

Yet it seems like other countries just actually did it for a couple weeks, and now they've got it at a manageable place and they can go about their lives without ruining the economy. We half-assed it and now all businesses are screwed because enough people aren't going to go about their lives with an airborne disease out there that even with those businesses open they lose money since enough people won't show up due to self-preservation. Although at this point it seems we can still beat it if we just stop eating and drinking indoors, and wear a mask. Is that too much to ask of anyone?

Yet it seems like other countries just actually did it for a couple weeks, and now they've got it at a manageable place and they can go about their lives without ruining the economy. We half-assed it and now all businesses are screwed because enough people aren't going to go about their lives with an airborne disease out there that even with those businesses open they lose money since enough people won't show up due to self-preservation. Although at this point it seems we can still beat it if we just stop eating and drinking indoors, and wear a mask. Is that too much to ask of anyone?

2&2 fails to realize “the economy” is consumer confidence. Many of these places are fucked by reopening with lowered capacity and will get extra fucked when we shut down again. By and large people are not feeling safe to do stuff. That won’t be changed by transparently disingenuous interpretations of the data. Florida and Texas took the 2&2 approach. So far not so good! Turns out you can’t just hope it away with praying and positive thoughts!

No one is asking the country to stop functioning. We are asking the country to function a little differently by wearing masks, maybe party a little less, and to develop a plan for testing and contact tracing.

If you get married in Myrtle Beach, contracting Covid is the least of your worries.

Back