• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

I love how 2&2 uses all 2.8M cases as his denominator in his “analysis” of the risk for people 45 and under.

It is the correct number to use. Part of analyzing the risk for that age group of dying is the risk of how likely they are to get it in the first place.

2&2 fails to realize “the economy” is consumer confidence. Many of these places are fucked by reopening with lowered capacity and will get extra fucked when we shut down again. By and large people are not feeling safe to do stuff. That won’t be changed by transparently disingenuous interpretations of the data. Florida and Texas took the 2&2 approach. So far not so good! Turns out you can’t just hope it away with praying and positive thoughts!

Apparently not.

No one is asking the country to stop functioning. We are asking the country to function a little differently by wearing masks, maybe party a little less, and to develop a plan for testing and contact tracing.

Guess what? A plan for testing and contract tracing is not going to happen. Why do you keep thinking it will? You keep saying it over and over like it will happen but to think so is insane. Trump is an idiot. Our Demo governors and mayors are idiots. And you are as stupid as they are for thinking it is going to magically happen despite all evidence, at every level, to the contrary.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/06/health/spain-coronavirus-antibody-study-lancet-intl/index.html?utm_medium=social&utm_content=2020-07-06T10%3A54%3A04&utm_source=twCNNi&utm_term=link

"Spain's large-scale study on the coronavirus indicates just 5% of its population has developed antibodies, strengthening evidence that a so-called herd immunity to Covid-19 is "unachievable," the medical journal the Lancet reported"

So natural herd immunity to Covid-19 is impossible according to antibody study of 65,000 people in Spain. No one is immune to it. If you have it, you're spreading it, and so far the American death rate is 4.6%.

Guess what? A plan for testing and contract tracing is not going to happen. Why do you keep thinking it will? You keep saying it over and over like it will happen but to think so is insane. Trump is an idiot. Our Demo governors and mayors are idiots. And you are as stupid as they are for thinking it is going to magically happen despite all evidence, at every level, to the contrary.

I didn't say it was going to happen, I said it needs to happen before we should balls to wall reopen the economy.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/06/health/spain-coronavirus-antibody-study-lancet-intl/index.html?utm_medium=social&utm_content=2020-07-06T10%3A54%3A04&utm_source=twCNNi&utm_term=link

"Spain's large-scale study on the coronavirus indicates just 5% of its population has developed antibodies, strengthening evidence that a so-called herd immunity to Covid-19 is "unachievable," the medical journal the Lancet reported"

So natural herd immunity to Covid-19 is impossible according to antibody study of 65,000 people in Spain. No one is immune to it. If you have it, you're spreading it, and so far the American death rate is 4.6%.

The Lancet is a p-good journal but open access publishing costs $5000.

I didn't say it was going to happen, I said it needs to happen before we should balls to wall reopen the economy.

Well that doesn't help because it isn't a realistic option. That is like saying we have to wait for Santa Claus to show up before we should reopen the economy.

Well that doesn't help because it isn't a realistic option. That is like saying we have to wait for Santa Claus to show up before we should reopen the economy.

The economy is basically reopened. But because the government has (and continues to, as you pointed out) mismanage the crisis, consumers don't feel safe going out and spending money. So this isn't about the government shutting down the economy to protect a few people, as you are saying. It's about the government mismanaging this crisis so badly that people don't want to leave their house.

Let’s talk about masks.

Is there a certain type that people are wearing that are effective and comfortable? I’ve just been doing medical masks when I’m not in tight contact with people, and N95 respirators when I am, they fucking suck to wear tho.

The Lancet is a p-good journal but open access publishing costs $5000.

Yes, but you don't have to pay to have your work published in the Lancet, whereas the journal we were discussing last week you do. This is a huge difference between the two journals. Most people on here do not understand this, so it is confusing to equate the two journals, when they are not similar at all.

Pretty much use two-ply homemade cloth masks with a folded coffee filter in the middle when I’m out. They loop around the ears. The coffee filter makes the breathing a bit more restricted but it’s fine. Masks overall tend to give me a heightened awareness of every itch on my face when I wear them, it takes a strict focus to not scratch and fiddle with the thing.

My understanding is that N95s protect you from other people, but does not protect other people from you.

I've been using just a simple jersey cotton facemask from this company. It's pretty comfortable.

https://loveyourmelon.com/collectio...products/adult-gray-reusable-jersey-face-mask

Yep using jersey cotton masks as well.

A NYT article yesterday said that almost 40% of the workforce making under 40k a year lost their job in March (whether short term or permanent). This is going to set the economy back a decade between the quickened gap it creates between the (diminishing in size) upper class and everybody else as well as the fundamental changes it’s going to force upon the service and retail industry.

Yes, but you don't have to pay to have your work published in the Lancet, whereas the journal we were discussing last week you do. This is a huge difference between the two journals. Most people on here do not understand this, so it is confusing to equate the two journals, when they are not similar at all.

I was just kidding around and wasn't comparing the journals.

However, you have to pay to publish in almost every academic journal. In the old days when it was just paper journals you'd pay ~$100 per page plus extra for color figures, now most journals have a flat publication fee and then require extra for open-access. That's the way it is in my field but perhaps the medical field is different. A predatory journal is one that the seeks submissions, charges you a submission fee, and publishes anything and everything submitted for a fee without any vetting or review. I know a guy who crowd sourced the publication fees to get a paper titled: "What's the deal with birds?" published in the "Scientific Journal of Research and Reviews" (The journal deleted the paper from their website following several media articles about predatory publications). It doesn't look to me like the International Journal of infection Disease falls into that category. https://www.scimagojr.com/journalsearch.php?q=22380&tip=sid

My wife has to go out. My daughter has to go out. It’s not unreasonable to think they could get infected by idiots like those we saw on the news at holiday weekend parties. It’s not so much that people are going out. It’s the appalling lack of responsibility and concern for others those people are demonstrating when they do go out in public.

It’s like they’re saying, “I’m young. The death statistics say I’m highly likely to survive even if I do get this thing. So fuck everyone else. I’m going to do whatever I want to do.

I'm not taking sides here, but this is exactly what young people do. Like, at all times in history. Olds have been trying to curtail it since the beginning of time.

A NYT article yesterday said that almost 40% of the workforce making under 40k a year lost their job in March (whether short term or permanent). This is going to set the economy back a decade between the quickened gap it creates between the (diminishing in size) upper class and everybody else as well as the fundamental changes it’s going to force upon the service and retail industry.

There has been a bananas wealth transfer. On the golf course the other day with an investor; his clients (5 of the 8 of us) were basically sucking his dick the whole 18. "I can't believe how bigly those gains are!!!"

The problem is we created an economy where most of the "service" jobs are just to cater to the needs of rich folks. Uber drives rich folks to and from the bars. Restaurants let the rich folks be lazy and not cook for themselves. Live venues are entertainment for those that can afford it. Now that the rich folk don't want to be near other people, all those jobs go away, for now. But they'll come back. 10 course meals will be $800 instead of $400 to afford putting all the servers in hazmat suits and giving the rich separate rooms to eat in. Or that breathalyzer thing.

I was just kidding around and wasn't comparing the journals.

However, you have to pay to publish in almost every academic journal. In the old days when it was just paper journals you'd pay ~$100 per page plus extra for color figures, now most journals have a flat publication fee and then require extra for open-access. That's the way it is in my field but perhaps the medical field is different. A predatory journal is one that the seeks submissions, charges you a submission fee, and publishes anything and everything submitted for a fee without any vetting or review. I know a guy who crowd sourced the publication fees to get a paper titled: "What's the deal with birds?" published in the "Scientific Journal of Research and Reviews" (The journal deleted the paper from their website following several media articles about predatory publications). It doesn't look to me like the International Journal of infection Disease falls into that category. https://www.scimagojr.com/journalsearch.php?q=22380&tip=sid

Interesting. That’s not the case in medicine. Standard medical journals do not charge for publishing. Most now offer an open-access option (for a price) and most charge for color figures, but the majority of medical publishing is at no charge to the authors.

Predatory journals are something else. I get about 5-10 emails per day from them, and the phrasing of their emails is often quite entertaining.

Back