• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Presidential Election: Biden v. Trump

But they don't taste great. Turkey deli meat is about all I care about. Fried turkey is the best, but it's nowhere close to chicken.

I kinda dig wild turkey. But, full disclosure, I also really like squirrel gravy.

Well, that definitely could be headlong into a windmill blade. I read up on the google last night. Said they burn off some chemical in their chest muscles really fast and generally can go about 100 yards (give or take it appears) before they run out of gas.

The rule of thumb on whether it's a "good flyer" is whether or not the breast is white meat.
Turkeys, chickens, quail, pheasants, while they all can fly, they choose not to unless they are threatened or want to roost and they all have white meat breasts (which is the muscles that would be most used to fly)
Their legs however, get much more use and are dark meat.

Ducks, geese, doves on the other hand fly a lot (real geese, not your golf course residents) and their breasts are red meat.

The rule of thumb on whether it's a "good flyer" is whether or not the breast is white meat.
Turkeys, chickens, quail, pheasants, while they all can fly, they choose not to unless they are threatened or want to roost and they all have white meat breasts (which is the muscles that would be most used to fly)

Ducks, geese, doves on the other hand fly a lot (real geese, not your golf course residents) and their breasts are red meat.

Oh shit. Birdman, the gauntlet has been laid down. Bird-off begins now!!!

With a small Thanksgiving gathering this year I'm pushing for roast duck instead. Vastly superior.

Oh shit. Birdman, the gauntlet has been laid down. Bird-off begins now!!!

Definitely not my bird thesis as I'm sure there are exceptions, but something I've noticed (as a bird hunter) and it makes sense
Of course, most birds aren't game birds and I have no idea if they are dark or white meat.

Definitely not my bird thesis as I'm sure there are exceptions, but something I've noticed (as a bird hunter) and it makes sense
Of course, most birds aren't game birds and I have no idea if they are dark or white meat.

What's your fave bird to hunt? And to eat?

My favorite wild turkey story - when I was at Fort Knox in the summer of Junior year for ROTC, we were on the marksmanship range in the pouring rain and a huge fucking gaggle of wild turkeys decided to wander across the range, and everyone had to stop shooting, because obv hunting isn’t legal on an Army base. So I had to lay in freaking mud and rain for 20 minutes while these big ass birds just waddled their asses across our targets down range like a carnival game. I’ve never seen that many turkeys before in my life.

What's your fave bird to hunt? And to eat?

Good quail hunting is by a mile the best hunting IMO, but anymore that is difficult and expensive
When I was a kid we used to belong to a club in middle SC that had great quail hunting and good dogs (quail flew well, and the dogs didn't fuck it up). The quail were all put, but they were put out months in advance of hunting season and had been put out for 20 years and 10% survived every year so there was a good population of wild/feral quail and the new quail would join those covey's and adopt those mannerisms.
We'd always clean some quail we killed in the AM and fry them up with pepper and bacon in a pan in the field and eat them for lunch. It was good, but quail are so slight it's a lot of work for not a lot of food.

My primary hunting anymore is duck hunting, which can be really rewarding as well. There are tons of wood ducks in the area we hunt, so we always limit out on those (3/person/day). Unfortunately, but for some trash duck like a merganser, wood ducks are typically the least flavorful wild duck (but it's not as if they are "bad", just a bit dry sometimes, usually pan fry, slice and throw on a salad, which works pretty well). Late in the season we'll start getting more mallards and gadwalls and the "big ducks" which are more substantial but also have a lot more fat, thus are better eating.

I have never actually killed a wild turkey, but I've had it. it was dry, edible, but dry which I'm not sure if we just didn't do a good job cooking it or it is just that way (I'd imagine it's a little of both)
Pheasants seem to be hit or miss, if they are cooked right they are really good, but you can mess it up because they can be fairly lean.

Grouse hunting is tough
it's hard work and usually not much action for your efforts, most people will tell you they have a good dog and it'll be fun, but in fact they have a shit dog and you bust your ass only for the dog to run the grouse up 70 yards ahead of you in thick brush

We need to define "Good" I guess, because turkey, grouse, quails, (Galliforms) can get up in the air faster than most birds. E.g., Turkey vultures need a lot of space and air to get up off the ground, seabirds need a runway to take off, but turkeys are 2 meters in the air and on their way in less than a second when you scare them. As I explained above, it's a survival/predator escape tactic. Some of that ability is attributable to leg strength, but a lot is attributable to short, round, broad wings that give a ton of lift per flap. It takes a lot of power to flap those wings with such a big surface area so they only get a few flaps in before they need to rest. They are more like the Usaine Bolt's of the running world than a marathon runner (e.g., albatross) or a figure skater (e.g. swallows). I qualify that as good, but you could definitely argue that grace and maneuverability once airborne are what determine "good flying."

Good quail hunting is by a mile the best hunting IMO, but anymore that is difficult and expensive
When I was a kid we used to belong to a club in middle SC that had great quail hunting and good dogs (quail flew well, and the dogs didn't fuck it up). The quail were all put, but they were put out months in advance of hunting season and had been put out for 20 years and 10% survived every year so there was a good population of wild/feral quail and the new quail would join those covey's and adopt those mannerisms.
We'd always clean some quail we killed in the AM and fry them up with pepper and bacon in a pan in the field and eat them for lunch. It was good, but quail are so slight it's a lot of work for not a lot of food.

My primary hunting anymore is duck hunting, which can be really rewarding as well. There are tons of wood ducks in the area we hunt, so we always limit out on those (3/person/day). Unfortunately, but for some trash duck like a merganser, wood ducks are typically the least flavorful wild duck (but it's not as if they are "bad", just a bit dry sometimes, usually pan fry, slice and throw on a salad, which works pretty well). Late in the season we'll start getting more mallards and gadwalls and the "big ducks" which are more substantial but also have a lot more fat, thus are better eating.

I have never actually killed a wild turkey, but I've had it. it was dry, edible, but dry which I'm not sure if we just didn't do a good job cooking it or it is just that way (I'd imagine it's a little of both)
Pheasants seem to be hit or miss, if they are cooked right they are really good, but you can mess it up because they can be fairly lean.

Grouse hunting is tough
it's hard work and usually not much action for your efforts, most people will tell you they have a good dog and it'll be fun, but in fact they have a shit dog and you bust your ass only for the dog to run the grouse up 70 yards ahead of you in thick brush

Typing this i'm getting pretty geared up as Duck season opens later this month and I'm going to go after thanksgiving (then it closes down for a few weeks and opens back up and runs through the end of January and i'm hoping to get 2 more hunts in after that).
Got out my Benelli SBE2 this weekend to get dialed in on it at the sporting clays course

We need to define "Good" I guess, because turkey, grouse, quails, (Galliforms) can get up in the air faster than most birds. E.g., Turkey vultures need a lot of space and air to get up off the ground, seabirds need a runway to take off, but turkeys are 2 meters in the air and on their way in less than a second when you scare them. As I explained above, it's a survival/predator escape tactic. Some of that ability is attributable to leg strength, but a lot is attributable to short, round, broad wings that give a ton of lift per flap. It takes a lot of power to flap those wings with such a big surface area so they only get a few flaps in before they need to rest. They are more like the Usaine Bolt's of the running world than a marathon runner (e.g., albatross) or a figure skater (e.g. swallows). I qualify that as good, but you could definitely argue that grace and maneuverability once airborne are what determine "good flying."

Yeah, I don't have a real definition of "good flyer"
but I guess I was thinking that they aren't primarily flyers, they don't fly far or generally without provocation

Birdman, have you ever hunted turkey? I don't like to shoot things, but all my buddies claim that it's the most enjoyable hunting experience the Appalachias have to offer. Apparently turkey are very cautious and intelligent birds.

Never hunted anything, except fish. I've trapped a lot of birds for science though. I've use cannon nets, baited walk in traps, foot noose carpets, mist nests, among other methods. My first published academic paper was on methods for trapping American Oystercatchers. Ground nesters, like turkey's (and oystercatchers) are typically really difficult to catch.

Never hunted anything, except fish. I've trapped a lot of birds for science though. I've use cannon nets, baited walk in traps, foot noose carpets, mist nests, among other methods. My first published academic paper was on methods for trapping American Oystercatchers. Ground nesters, like turkey's (and oystercatchers) are typically really difficult to catch.

Jesus, leave it alone with the Oystercatchers, man.

I will retract Great Blue Heron and replace it with Osprey as greatest birds.

Back