• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

If Wake wants a quick turnaround, we must hire Matta or Beilein. Some major outlets, like Sports Illustrated, are saying that Beilein is our leading candidate. We need a big splash hire that will have instant credibility with big time recruits. It needs to be one of these two. Either is fine with me :)

Just reading up on Forbes and was surprised that he is 55- he seems younger than that but I guess he bounced around quite a bit before ETSU. Thad Matta is 52, which just blows my mind.

Forbes or Miller would be excellent hires. They are proven winners. Let’s concentrate on getting a winner who is hungry to prove himself at a higher level in an ACC job. There’s no need in hoping for coaches who aren’t happening.

Miller hasn't won shit. He can't even beat bad Danny Manning teams. Signing him would mean we struck out many times.

Just reading up on Forbes and was surprised that he is 55- he seems younger than that but I guess he bounced around quite a bit before ETSU. Thad Matta is 52, which just blows my mind.

Matta being 52 is totally freaky.

Has he beaten a Top 25 team in nine years?

Has he won an NCAA game?

Did he ever beat Danny Manning?

Did he ever even make the Elite 8 in the NIT? Hell, his only win in the NIT was as a #1 seed vs. a #8. He then lost a crap #5 seed.

Who cares if he wins a crap conference once in nine years? An ACC level coach would have done better.

9c11ab77ef88dfb3b33b26c4a1f697bb.jpg

Those first 5 years look awfully familiar. This dude is not a P6 coach at this time. This would be such an underwhelming and LOWF hire with all the good names available.

Stevie Wonder can also see he’s recruited 1 top 200 player in his 9 years at UNCG.

So, him not having any experience recruiting P6 players is not a turn off for you? There’s quite a few red flags involving Wes, not sure why you’re acting like he’s the obvious hire when there’s realistic candidates with much more proven success in every facet.

So, him not having any experience recruiting P6 players is not a turn off for you? There’s quite a few red flags involving Wes, not sure why you’re acting like he’s the obvious hire when there’s realistic candidates with much more proven success in every facet.

There’s not much of a difference recruiting in P6 vs not. The biggest difference is who are you winning with? Are you winning with kids out of high school, grad transfers or JUCO’s? If you can recruit you can recruit. Not recruiting in the P6 shouldn’t be a reason to not hire Miller.

A Miller turn off for me is that he was never able to learn from a great basketball mind. It does sound like he got to learn a lot from Roy when he was a player there. Make what you want of that. I do not like the idea of him coming to Wake and then going to Carolina if he has success. Just a pathetic look imo. It would prove to many that Carolina is at higher echelon than Wake, and I hate the idea of that.

Yeah learning from Roy with 3 national titles isn’t like learning hoops from RJKarl but then what is. The dude wins.

And he’s not leaving Wake for Carolina. Name the last Wake basketball coach to get hired away to a bigger program. Oh there’s not one. This is a funny Wake fan gripe.

Carolina basketball is at a much higher echelon than Wake basketball. We spent the last 10 years dicking around with [Redacted] and Manning. Carolina has won 3 national titles in the last 15 years. Yeah they’re a echelon or 2 above us.

I have to wonder if Currie purposefully waited until the NFL Draft. This was the busiest weekend in sports in the foreseeable future.

He was waiting for Timmy D’s birthday

Personally, I’m not interested in Beilein. I want a younger coach that can get the program back on track and keep us relevant for the next decade plus.

Personally, I’m not interested in Beilein. I want a younger coach that can get the program back on track and keep us relevant for the next decade plus.
Eh, we can hire another coach after he turns it around.

Back