• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

ist SHOULD be:

Tier 1
Bruce Pearl
Thad Matt
Jim B

Huge Gap

Steve Forbes

Tier 5
Wes Miller - Dude is 40 games above .500, has never won an NCAA Tourney. Only reason he has any sort of awareness is that he went to UNC and his Dad gives a shit ton to the school.
Dave Odom's kid. Fucking joke he is even being mentioned.

So please share with me the correlation between being on a National Championship team as a player and being a good college head coach. I'd love to see the numbers....guys who won NC's as players and their records as HC vs guys who haven't. If i'm wrong please just show me the numbers that support this...

Didn't the guy we just fired have a national championship?

:couch:

...asking for a friend.

I was at the National Championship game in ‘88 and ‘05 so yes I know. Thanks for the update.

RJ and others say Wes has “no P5 experience” and has “won nothing”. Those are predictable comments for someone who last went to a basketball game on Tobacco Road in 1985 but want to make sure others aren’t mislead by that. Guy has been at the top levels and circles of college basketball for 2 decades now.

I’m open to hearing anyone’s arguments for our potential candidates, including even Wes Miller, unless they veer into hyperbole. “At the top levels and circles of college basketball for 2 decades now”? Because he was a player under Roy? By definition the last two decades would include his coaching at UNCG. Top levels of college basketball?

If you need this kind of fluff to prop up your candidate, maybe that should tell you something.

Do we not care about the somewhat checkered past of Forbes? Guy got fired at UT along with the super shady Bruce pearl for lying to the ncaa and had to coach community college. For a place so hell bent on doing things the right way and above board - is a surprise no one has brought up his past. His W-L is superb. I'm not clear on the dates of all the UT stuff but was Currie there at the time? He should have plenty of info about just how shady that was.

Don't care...want to win!

These are the people who should have been contacted or will be by Wake
John Belein- Not happening 67 yrs old
Thad Matta-Not happening 52
Steve Forbes- possible 55
John Becker-possible 52
Ed Cooley- unlikely 50
Wes Miller- unlikely 37
Pat Kelsey- possible 45 (on my 15th)
Russell Turner- possible 49

After these names is a total crap shoot of possibly unknown (to us) names

Are you guessing with the not happening, possible, and unlikely labels? Or are those based on actual info?

I want to win too. But I assume you know that Wake Forest is not a win at all costs place. I'm not saying his past is a deal breaker. But being fired at UT for lying to the NCAA and going to CC to coach afterwards needs more examination IMHO

Miller should not be a top option from the onset. I believe Currie desires a home run hire and will swing for the fences. I can easily see a scenario play out where in the end of the search Wake ends up with someone like Wes Miller. If Currie has done his due diligence, and comes to the conclusion that a home run hire isn’t going to happen, then I will be glad to support a coach like Miller. At least we know he will bring passion back to the sidelines.

Do we not care about the somewhat checkered past of Forbes? Guy got fired at UT along with the super shady Bruce pearl for lying to the ncaa and had to coach community college. For a place so hell bent on doing things the right way and above board - is a surprise no one has brought up his past. His W-L is superb. I'm not clear on the dates of all the UT stuff but was Currie there at the time? He should have plenty of info about just how shady that was.

I brought this up months ago, and no one wanted to listen. I think Hatch vetoes this guy. In addition to UT, Forbes was under sleazeball Gillespie at A&M. I don’t know the details but there are too many candidates that are squeaky clean (on the surface at least).

Let’s not forget that Donaldross thinks that Wes Miller will go to multiple final 4’s this decade... as unc’s coach. He lacks some perspective on this issue.

I make Beilen tell me no 5 different times before I look elsewhere

FINALLY after how many years of being completely irrelevant someone else finally says it!
Fucking they should hire Bruce Pearl! Send shockwaves throughout the NCAA stating we are here to stay.
THE SHADIER THE BETTER!
I WANT TO DO SOME COKE!!!!

Y’all are gonna fuck up our chance. Beilein is same old old guy who will retire or die. We are not Louisville. We need a young, loyal guy who builds us into Duke or Indiana the slow way. And then can keep us there by not being 70 years old in the blink of an eye.

Wes Miller was a fucking walk on that was a nice feel good story on a loaded national championship team. That doesn’t have fuck all to do with being a successful head coach in the ACC.

Y’all are using Wes pedigree against him (and us). The logic is we should suffer because his dads a donor. It’s loser 1980s Ron Wellman logic. Same folks who said “what’s the internet?”

Bad, bad for us. Grab the low hanging winning fruit. It’s right in front of you.

I want to win too. But I assume you know that Wake Forest is not a win at all costs place. I'm not saying his past is a deal breaker. But being fired at UT for lying to the NCAA and going to CC to coach afterwards needs more examination IMHO

Understand that...just don't think it's a big deal. Plus Currie was AD there when all that went down. If Currie was not 100% comfortable with Forbes I don't think he would be under consideration and I think it's pretty clear he is being considered (and perhaps a front-runner).

ist SHOULD be:

Tier 1
Bruce Pearl
Thad Matt
Jim B

Huge Gap

Steve Forbes

Tier 5
Wes Miller - Dude is 40 games above .500, has never won an NCAA Tourney. Only reason he has any sort of awareness is that he went to UNC and his Dad gives a shit ton to the school.
Dave Odom's kid. Fucking joke he is even being mentioned.

Bruce Pearl being on this list anywhere is a joke, not happening

I was at the National Championship game in ‘88 and ‘05 so yes I know. Thanks for the update.

RJ and others say Wes has “no P5 experience” and has “won nothing”. Those are predictable comments for someone who last went to a basketball game on Tobacco Road in 1985 but want to make sure others aren’t mislead by that. Guy has been at the top levels and circles of college basketball for 2 decades now.

I don't have to go to Baker, CA to know it's hot in Death Valley in the summer.

This is the first time that UNC-G has ever been called a "top circle of college basketball".

I wouldn’t dare tell the mayor of Baker, California how to run his town. Stay the hell away from us when it comes to this discussion. Stick to surf.

You don’t think Wes hasn’t been playing too teams? He is in the Greensboro coliseum for goodness sake. He’s at big 4 practices and camps regularly. This isn’t st. Bonaventure. This is Greensboro and he’s Roy’s golden boy. He eats and sleeps Tobacco Road basketball. ACC tourney walk throughs this year? There’s Wes in the huddles.

A wise mayor would understand that information from other sources can help. Blind Trumpians believe only they know all.

Back