• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

Do you pay for Les's stuff? I wouldn't call him a lazy reporter. Or Conor for that matter.
I do think some folks are kinda being lazy though.
Not Les and Connor, mind you. I think some more national folks are possibly looking up Les and Connor's stuff and crib noting from it.

They’re showing up on lazy reporters lists. Oh, Kelsey was an assistant at Wake 12 years ago? Put him on the list. Wake’s practice court is named after Wes Miller’s dad? He goes on the list too. Ryan Odom’s dad used to coach there? Definitely a candidate. None of the 3 have the credentials at this point for an ACC job. And they certainly aren’t ready for the rebuild that is needed.

Forbes is my choice. I think he’d be fantastic. I’d ask about Belein or Matt’s first, but doubt this is the kind of gig either of them are looking for.

That's where the AD has to sell them and get them to want it. They may already be interested in the job, but even if they aren't you sell it to them.

don’t think it will happen, but if beilein really wants to get back to coaching not sure he has many other options. and while i suspect we will be strapped for cash, might matter less to beilein given how much money he walked away from with the cavs.

The fact that Curry fired DFL Manning after years of RW’s refusing to do so gives me great confidence. He is one of us. He loves Wake, he knows how great the program was in the past, and he wants to restore it to that level.

Come on, Currie! Work some magic! This will be your signature hire, so make it count!

Do you pay for Les's stuff? I wouldn't call him a lazy reporter. Or Conor for that matter.

I didn’t say those guys are lazy. They work their ass off for us.

But having Kelsey, Miller, and Odom as the majority of the list as Goodman and several others have done is lazy. There’s no getting around that. It’s lazy if all you’re doing is identifying people with loose connections to Wake Forest, regardless of how qualified they are. Ryan Odom, c’mon? Great guy and fantastic win against UVA. But anyone putting him on a list of coaching candidates lacks credibility. I saw Scott Prosser on one list. Another good guy. Part of the family. Two (2!) years of experience at WCU and solid progress between years 1 and 2, but is he really a viable candidate or is he just some needed words to fill up a column?

I didn’t say those guys are lazy. They work their ass off for us.

But listing Kelsey, Miller, and Odom as the majority of the last as Goodman and several others have done is lazy. There’s no getting around that. It’s lazy if all you’re doing is identifying people with loose connections to Wake Forest, regardless of how qualified they are. Ryan Odom, c’mon? Great guy and fantastic win against UVA. But anyone putting him on a list of coaching candidates lacks credibility. I saw Scott Prosser on one list. Another good guy. Part of the family. Two (2!) years of experience at WCU and solid progress between years 1 and 2, but is he really a viable candidate or is he just some needed words to fill up a column?

I'm just asking if you pay for Les's stuff? Les reported a lot of these names. Is he lazy?

They’re showing up on lazy reporters lists. Oh, Kelsey was an assistant at Wake 12 years ago? Put him on the list. Wake’s practice court is named after Wes Miller’s dad? He goes on the list too. Ryan Odom’s dad used to coach there? Definitely a candidate. None of the 3 have the credentials at this point for an ACC job. And they certainly aren’t ready for the rebuild that is needed.

Forbes is my choice. I think he’d be fantastic. I’d ask about Belein or Matt’s first, but doubt this is the kind of gig either of them are looking for.

A major question is do they want 3-6 year guy at a buttload of money or someone to be here for 10+ years.

Our team (if we can re-recruit Chaundee) is really well set-up for Beilein's style. But do we want just a turnaround guy or something long term?

ugh please don’t ruin this thread with your drama.

What the fuck? I'm just saying that our local journalists' lists look like the national journalists' lists. I'm not going to post paid content on here, but it's pretty dumb to write off national journalists as lazy when they're reporting more or less what our "insiders" are reporting.

Who else are you into, IAT? Your last post:

My ultimate fall-back candidate would be Ritchie McKay -- he's actually only 55 years old. But there are plenty of other solid coaches out there even besides the names that have been talked about most: Niko Medved (Colorado St.), Ron Sanchez (UNCC), etc.

Thoughts on Mrs. Medved, Mrs. Sanchez, and Mrs. McKay? Is Mrs. Odom more attractive than the last Mrs. Odom? Be the change you want to see in the world.

don’t think it will happen, but if beilein really wants to get back to coaching not sure he has many other options. and while i suspect we will be strapped for cash, might matter less to beilein given how much money he walked away from with the cavs.

That's what I'm thinking even though it's a longshot this could make it possible.

A major question is do they want 3-6 year guy at a buttload of money or someone to be here for 10+ years.

Our team (if we can re-recruit Chaundee) is really well set-up for Beilein's style. But do we want just a turnaround guy or something long term?

After reading a recent article at The Atlantic, I'd put Mike Martin from Brown as an under the radar guy who belongs on the long list, but not the short one.

I know Curry would normally tend to make a big splash hire, but I am even more convinced with the pandemic , that Curry will hire someone on the lower end of the salary spectrum, like Forbes or Miller. He may have already used that argument if he had to convince Wake to absorb part of the buyout ( we will likely never know how it was paid), but with all the financial issues at universities now, he looks like a team player when he hires on the low end. He can always pack the contract with larger than normal incentives.

currie just needs to make sure he offers the new coach a guaranteed contract of at least 10 years.

hate that i have to note sarcasm - :)

Please look at the ETSU roster. In five years, Forbes has actually recruited 2 impactful high school players. If Hatch is going to open the Ju-co and drop-out transfer lane, then he may be a fit. If not, he had no idea how to get a player that can survive at WFU. No doubt he is a good coach, but not all good coaches can have success at Wake IMHO....

Please look at the ETSU roster. In five years, Forbes has actually recruited 2 impactful high school players. If Hatch is going to open the Ju-co and drop-out transfer lane, then he may be a fit. If not, he had no idea how to get a player that can survive at WFU. No doubt he is a good coach, but not all good coaches can have success at Wake IMHO....

I mean, we have hired many bad coaches who don't have particularly good win and loss records. What's wrong with rolling the dice on somebody who wins?

Back