• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

Currie: "I would caution against assuming the accuracy of any figure stated in the media" regarding the buyout number

-via Les

I like that Currie referred to the next coach as "he or she."

Currie: "I would caution against assuming the accuracy of any figure stated in the media" regarding the buyout number

-via Les

He doesn't have to confirm it so why would he? It's an embarrassing number.

I doubt Currie would have cited the use of a search firm if he already had plans in place, no? I mean, I hope Beilein is sewn up but it didn't sound like it.

Too late firing Manning but the firing part is not close to our biggest struggle the past 10+ years. It's the HIRING that has absolutely killed us.

Let's hope Currie has a very strong candidate lined up who willing to fix this train wreck. It's going to take some time to begin repairs. All I ask for is PROGRESS much like what we've enjoyed with our football program. I can stomach some losses as long as there is demonstrable player improvement and development and some plan taking shape. The last 10+ years there obviously was NO plan, next-to-zero player development and NO progress.

Last edited:
Chill interim during the search means nothing. The kids need a face to be in touch with make sure they attend any necessary class stuff etc. Also, gives a deacon legend time to land on his feet.

I am confidant that Childress has a job, if he wants one, at Wake Forest University when the interim gig is over.

I agree that currie likely has something in place already and we'll know soon. Announcing manning is gone on a sunday seems like he recieved a verbal yes very recently.

I found it interesting that he slipped that people have already reached out about the vacancy. Then when asked right after about who has reached out, Currie gave a ramble, "well, I don't always have time to look at my messages when I get them."
Lol

Wake will not lack for interest from potential coaching candidates. The big issue is finding the right guy to hire.

Wake basketball needs someone who gets Wake the way Clawson does, and the way Skip did.

One other interesting note was that Currie said he wants the next coach to have a plan for staffing and recruiting. That setting out a plan was a big part of what got Clawson the Wake football job. If I recall, supposedly Clawson spent a big chunk of time outlining, and detailing his thoughts on how he would move Wake football to greater success. Sounds like Currie wants a new coach to do the same for basketball.

There has been discussion on these boards about the apparent lack of any plan for either recruiting or game play style. Currie sounded like he picked up on those issues.

This is just some LOWF bullshit because Goodman doesn't think we can attract a strong candidate. Granted Forbes would be a terrific hire, but the rest of these guys should either be a deep fallback option (Miller) or never on the list. Hell, why not throw a couple of high school coaches on the list?

I don't particularly like Miller and Kelsey either, but they're showing up on a lot of lists. Odom does seem like a reach, though.

Wes Miller has the hot wife, but Forbes’s wife, while not hot, seems like a normal lady with vibe of 2nd grade teacher, so kind of cool.

Very different vibes, so hard to say. The whole Forbes clan has a Regular Family look that makes me chuckle.

hoH-CsNr_400x400.jpg

DjYvEb7W0AQRBpJ

Like, if a successful college basketball coach has kids that look like this, he must be all right.

EUC6gLVWkAIM7eH

I don't particularly like Miller and Kelsey either, but they're showing up on a lot of lists. Odom does seem like a reach, though.

They’re showing up on lazy reporters lists. Oh, Kelsey was an assistant at Wake 12 years ago? Put him on the list. Wake’s practice court is named after Wes Miller’s dad? He goes on the list too. Ryan Odom’s dad used to coach there? Definitely a candidate. None of the 3 have the credentials at this point for an ACC job. And they certainly aren’t ready for the rebuild that is needed.

Forbes is my choice. I think he’d be fantastic. I’d ask about Belein or Matt’s first, but doubt this is the kind of gig either of them are looking for.

They’re showing up on lazy reporters lists. Oh, Kelsey was an assistant at Wake 12 years ago? Put him on the list. Wake’s practice court is named after Wes Miller’s dad? He goes on the list too. Ryan Odom’s dad used to coach there? Definitely a candidate. None of the 3 have the credentials at this point for an ACC job. And they certainly aren’t ready for the rebuild that is needed.

Forbes is my choice. I think he’d be fantastic. I’d ask about Belein or Matt’s first, but doubt this is the kind of gig either of them are looking for.

Do you pay for Les's stuff? I wouldn't call him a lazy reporter. Or Conor for that matter.

Back