• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Football Week 1 - Clemson discussion

I totally agree with this post. Thanks for having the guts to say it. I may be wrong about this, but I think the majority of people who are silent are in this camp.

You sir, are most certainly wrong. And the fact that ELC posits that there are multiple “sides of the issue” tells you everything you need to know.

What does everyone think the overall follow-through rate is of people claiming they are going to stop watching their favorite team due to BLM messaging? Logically I would assume that it's pretty low and it's mostly just talk, but I like to imagine some guy averting his eyes in a Buffalo Wild Wings to avoid glimpsing a helmet decal.

Sounds like you guys just want these mostly black athletes dance for your entertainment without thinking about or engaging with their experiences as actual people in the world.

"Are you not entertained?" - Maximus in Gladiator

What does everyone think the overall follow-through rate is of people claiming they are going to stop watching their favorite team due to BLM messaging? Logically I would assume that it's pretty low and it's mostly just talk, but I like to imagine some guy averting his eyes in a Buffalo Wild Wings to avoid glimpsing a helmet decal.

Low to non-existent.

If we can't run the ball we are doomed. It's all about the OL. We just can't do the three passes and out 40 seconds off the clock routine.

Really love the repeated "silent majority" references. Have a horrid, antiquated view at odds with the current national trends of tolerance and equality? Just imagine you actually have overwhelming support from an imaginary elite portion of society, even if there is overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Incidentally, growing up in the south it's the exact same argument I heard for continuing to use the n-word.

Disagree with those that think we are going to purposely run a bottled up offense so we don’t show much before the State game next week. Not a chance. We are playing on the largest stage this weekend. Think we will do anything we can to stay competitive.

Also, Walker at RB for 3/4 of the game greatly increases our odds of winning, IMHO.

When do they release the list of players out due to COVID? Wasn’t that supposed to be this morning?

Really love the repeated "silent majority" references. Have a horrid, antiquated view at odds with the current national trends of tolerance and equality? Just imagine you actually have overwhelming support from an imaginary elite portion of society, even if there is overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Incidentally, growing up in the south it's the exact same argument I heard for continuing to use the n-word.

It's used by people pretty much whenever they have an opinion that is out of touch with the mainstream. I think it's a psychological coping mechanism. You can try it for most anything and it makes you feel better.

For instance, there's a silent majority of Americans out there who also play Hearthstone on a daily basis. Therefore, I feel better about wasting my own time doing it. :)

Or, for a political slant, there's a silent majority of boaters who are flying Biden flags and hosting Biden boat parades.

Or, to get this thread back on track, there's a silent majority of Wake fans who believe we will win this game by 10 points or more.

Disagree with those that think we are going to purposely run a bottled up offense so we don’t show much before the State game next week. Not a chance. We are playing on the largest stage this weekend. Think we will do anything we can to stay competitive.

Also, Walker at RB for 3/4 of the game greatly increases our odds of winning, IMHO.

Agree on both - Dave will shoot his shot tonight. I think you need all of this to happen to even keep it close into the 4th:

- front 4 can get pressure / handle the run without sending extra numbers...
- ...so we can keep safeties back and limit 1 on 1 matchups anywhere (whether we’re playing cover 3, cover 2 or man plus)
- offense needs to be a bit tricky and keep them off balanced, but avoid bad plays that wreck drives. Sage ain’t around to bail us out. Sam can’t have a “macho attack” and try and force balls into small windows
- get super lucky on turnovers / special teamS and be +1 (or more?) on “cheap” touchdowns
- we saw last year that Lawrence will press when frustrated, so the longer it stays close the more likely he is to get loose with the rock

Yeah, college gameday, huge exposure, and a weird Covid season. Conservative makes no sense at all today.

Agreed. Also, first game, so the players on both sides won't have the live ball experience recently. It's the perfect time to go aggressive and see what happens.

I felt strongly that we’d play some football this fall. I don’t feel strongly that we will complete the season. So, for that reason, I see no reason to not approach every single game like it’s the final game of the season.

I felt strongly that we’d play some football this fall. I don’t feel strongly that we will complete the season. So, for that reason, I see no reason to not approach every single game like it’s the final game of the season.

Yeah exactly plus bowls are uncertain at best so no reason to try and lay up / circle wagons to win 6 games

Yeah I wanna see flea flickers, WR reverse passes, all out blitzes, onside kicks....it’s 2020 bitches!

Yeah, lay it out there. If we get our asses whipped, well, that's happened the last few years anyway.

There‘s a new trick play this year called the C-19. The entire offense yells “I’ve got Covid and starts coughing,” and hopefully the ball carrier runs untouched into the end zone.

Back