• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Football Week 1 - Clemson discussion

Its also nice that old white guys have such a self inflated sense of purpose. Like you always need to let people know that you are no longer a Wake Fan, like who gives a fuck. Other fans certainly dont, and its readily apparent Wake doesn't give a shit about your awful world views. Don't worry it will definitely be your support that makes Wake rethink this, well we had the ACC TV contract but some sliver of old white guys just arent tuning in anymore better get that money back.

Too bad that there wasn't a message board and a message board archive, heading into the 1967 Wake Forest football season, when WF made the bold move to not only play its first black football player, Freddie Summers, in program history, but to start Summers at QB. FWIW, Summers went on to become an All-ACC player, and one of the best in WF history.

Think there would be some similarly awful "there goes the neighborhood" takes and "I'm withdrawing all support from the school and the football program" threats about WF allowing Summers to play on the eve of that game.

And they thought the same thing about Ed Reynolds enrolling in 1962.

Thankfully I think this group of folks who believe Black and Gold players matter but Black Lives Don’t is a dwindling portion of the Wake population. Currie, Forbes, and Clawson want our athletes to have the same rights they have as white men. If standing up for their rights causes us to lose some of those fans, so be it.

I just texted NazT to increase my Deacon Club donation in appreciation of what the football team is doing.

I have finally decided to post after many years of just reading. I wanted to be clear that after over 40 years of being a Wake fan (not an alum), I am not supporting the football team after learning their helmets signs and symbols. Anyone who doesn’t understand BLM Marxist views and their violent actions around the country has to look up their mission statement and info on their website. Personally, I am not supporting NBA, NFL, and all other pro sports leagues that are doing this “social justice” movement. And now, my favorite college has decided to jump on the bandwagon. I am praying that sports can be sports and all these other movements can be off the field actions if they want to do something they deem productive.

Sorry, I just don’t understand why sports are alienating at least half the country as the silent majority doesn’t obviously post on these boards. And if they do, they are considered racist and ignorant. So they stay silent.

I am glad the sports department allowed me to get out of my season tickets this year as I don’t want to be associated with Wake football, at least this year. I am aware that most posters will disagree with me but I am one of the silent majority that is tired of where sports is going in this country. Please respect my opinion as I am a huge Wake fan as we all are. But I won’t be watching Wake football this year. Everyone on here basically said “great for them” and they are “doing great things” but if colleges follow the pro sport models of BLM, it will be sad. Even if you agree with this movement, what does sports have to do with it?

This isn't an airport, you don't need to announce your departure. (Stolen from FB)

So I guess it's clear that we'll be wearing all black unis and helmets....

Definitely enjoying all the old white guy gatekeeping of what is and is not acceptable for these athletes to do as a team to support the idea that black lives matter.

What would make you feel better - maybe give them a little section of the chalkboard in the locker room where they can write down some positive notes about race relations and nobody has to see it?

Have some respect for the players, coaches and staff who clearly care deeply about this issue and have given serious thought about how to make an impact. Nobody cares about your ruffled feathers or white fragility. It makes zero difference if you think a fist supports violence or whatever nonsense ideology you've attached to it in your own mind.

“Violence or whatever nonsense ideology” How about a history lesson.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Panther_Party

“How about a history lesson?”

*ignores interview with important historical figure and posts Wikipedia link instead*

Well aware of the history of the Black Panthers, almost certainly more than you based on your commentary.

They are representing Black Lives Matter. The fist was adopted as a symbol during the hands up don't shoot period of this recent movement. Save your Black Panther outrage for when they write that on the helmets and start espousing violent rhetoric. Otherwise maybe take a shot at understanding what they're actually standing for.

Let's just give the players credit. I think we live in such a negative society, it's like what you didn't do. You know what, give people credit. There's a lot to be positive about, and that's the way I am. I'm not a negative person, and I look at the glass as half-full. We've got some good young players gaining invaluable experience, we've a heck of a recruiting class coming in, and so we move forward. Any other questions?

this new OGB is really unnerving

“How about a history lesson?”

*ignores interview with important historical figure and posts Wikipedia link instead*

I didn’t ignore the interview I responded. I reiterate, if the WF logo is not viable on the helmets (still unclear) and are replaced by the clinched fist symbol there will be ridicule and blowback.

Armed black panther militia for self defense vs. the police state of the time is defendable.

SO Then also today is the gun toting redneck militia for self defense Against rioting also ok? Flying their bullshit confederate flags?

I’m completely aware of the 60s context but both are escalations.

Also I posted Wikipedia for context showing the established broad perception of both the clinched fist and Black Panther Party.

Well aware of the history of the Black Panthers, almost certainly more than you based on your commentary.

They are representing Black Lives Matter. The fist was adopted as a symbol during the hands up don't shoot period of this recent movement. Save your Black Panther outrage for when they write that on the helmets and start espousing violent rhetoric. Otherwise maybe take a shot at understanding what they're actually standing for.

Just telling you what the broad perception is of the fist. Not my choosing. FACT

You don’t know a goddamn thing about me so check yourself.

I didn’t ignore the interview I responded. I reiterate, if the WF logo is not viable on the helmets (still unclear) and are replaced by the clinched fist symbol there will be ridicule and blowback.

STILL UNCLEAR

Lol. Poster goes on tirade equating BLM to violence and the Black Panthers, says others don't know anything about him.

Everyone knows something about you now. Probably a few things. One definite thing everyone knows about you is that you have a questionable understanding of BLM and the Black Panthers at best.

Lol. Poster goes on tirade equating BLM to violence and the Black Panthers, says others don't know anything about him.

Everyone knows something about you now. Probably a few things. One definite thing everyone knows about you is that you have a questionable understanding of BLM and the Black Panthers at best.

Asshole I said I support BLM ... nuance

Back