• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Football Week 1 - Clemson discussion

BLM appropriate
Clinched Black Power/Black Panther symbol - not Appropriate And unnecessary.

This is going to lead not only to discussion but to ridicule.

HP is not alone. There will be a significant counter reaction to this within the Wake community especially among those that actually write checks to the athletic department.

Wake is an elite highly competitive academic institution. This will be viewed by many as woke elite college bubble political correctness.

Let’s see Clemson or any SEC school put the clinched fist on their helmets.

College Athletics as we know it may very well be over,

This is how I feel. I have few qualms with the BLM, but to replace the "WF" on each side with fists (if I'm understanding this correctly)....

I think I will opt out of the season if that happens to be the case.

This is how I feel. I have few qualms with the BLM, but to replace the "WF" on each side with fists (if I'm understanding this correctly)....

I would hope you don't make the leap that "we will have emblems on the sides of our helmets" means the "WF" will be replaced. That hasn't been said -- it's just been that there will be emblems.

I asked for a photo of the helmets to run with yesterday's story and was told the emblems/BLM haven't been attached to helmets yet, but when able, I'd get a photo of a helmet.

I don’t think you are understanding this correctly.

Have you guys literally never watched football before? There are small helmet emblems all the damn time. This isn’t a new thing, you dolts.

I really appreciate Conor calling out the people on twitter. Behind each and every one of those shitty sunglasses is a sad sad man.

I've never understood sports fans just up and quitting watching/cheering for their teams because of a social of political stance. It's almost not worth the time trying to explain to these people that every riot or fire or violent act on the streets ISN'T tied to BLM. Also, it's OK to differentiate between the BLM organization and the basic viewpoint that black lives do indeed matter. If you agree that black lives matter then why in the hell would it matter if athletes are using their platform to advance the conversation and bring light to police brutality and social injustice?

What are all of these old guys going to do now with all of their free time? They've quit football, basketball, baseball and even Nascar because Bubba Wallace decided to have an opinion and a voice.

Now if Trump doesn't get reelected these old fuckers will literally have nothing else to root for. Will be interesting to watch unfold.

It's like not eating chic fil a(if you like it) because some of their messaging is anti-gay or boycotting Welch's Grape Juice because the CEO is a bigot.

It's like not eating chic fil a(if you like it) because some of their messaging is anti-gay or boycotting Welch's Grape Juice because the CEO is a bigot.

Not exactly like that, unless you spend a ton of your free time/leisure time thinking about, talking about, and watching Chick Fil A or Welch’s grape juice being made. Cutting a consumer product (that isn’t even the best in their category) out of your life is a lot different than a sports fan cutting sports out of their life.

Sorry, I’m new at this so I apologize for not knowing everything on this board about posting so I’m trying. Like I’ve said earlier, I always just read but wanted to respond to this as this is really frustrating to see what’s happening in our country and now in Wake sports.

I don’t think you guys have been unreasonable as I knew I probably wouldn’t have anyone on this board to share just a small part of my view.

There is a big issue with what’s going on in communities with people killing each other and having nothing to do with police. If we “kill the police” or defund the police, which is what BLM advocates, how does that help any communities? Please note not too many years ago, BLM were chanting “what do we want, dead cops, when do we want them, now”. Now everyone is acting like BLM is for positive change. I’m sorry I just don’t see it and will never understand it.

The players speaking up isn’t provoking violence but the organization the players will be exhibiting on their helmets is a violent organization. I don’t believe the narrative the news media is advocating about what is really happening. If people feel they are being unfairly treated, they still need to comply with the authority. I also believe social media like twitter is one of many sites that fuels the fire. That is why I no longer do any twitter. Yes, I just read there and never tweeted. I initially just followed sports but then that obviously changed not too long ago so I just ended it all together

In summary, I do refer to all of you guys as my “friends” to my wife as she is always wandering what I’m reading. I still will read and hope we can still be “friends” and just agree to disagree

I support our guys because I think what they are doing is for all the right reasons and not any of the ones someone may think is wrong and damn if I’m not going to support this team that I’ve supported my whole life because I’ve got a problem with what some in small numbers have done under the name of BLM or whatever. Our guys are busting their butts in practice and in the Virtual classroom under these crazy circumstances and they have my 100 Percent support if they want to put BLM, raised fists or a picture of a pink unicorn on their helmets because I know they are doing it for the positive and not the negative. We can all disagree about this or that when it comes to all that’s going on in the world, but if you’re really a Wake fan than we should all be able to agree on this, Go Deacs!!!

Let's just give the players credit. I think we live in such a negative society, it's like what you didn't do. You know what, give people credit. There's a lot to be positive about, and that's the way I am. I'm not a negative person, and I look at the glass as half-full. We've got some good young players gaining invaluable experience, we've a heck of a recruiting class coming in, and so we move forward. Any other questions?

Yeah just enjoy the fact we may get to watch a season of college football. Leave the politics at the door.

Look, if WF is good in football, support for the team grows. If WF blows in football, support for the team contracts. Everything else is irrelevant.

While there is a lunatic fringe that will initially make a political stand by not supporting the team because of a helmet decal, their numbers are nominal and insignificant. If WF somehow beats Clemson and/or ND, interest in the program will be huge. If WF gets "drilled" early, interest will wane (and of course, some blowhard will ignorantly claim that he has followed WF football since the 60s and for the first time in his life he's glad WF football sucks because Clawson has given up control of the team to AOC and the Portland protestors). Its really that simple.

I've never understood sports fans just up and quitting watching/cheering for their teams because of a social of political stance. It's almost not worth the time trying to explain to these people that every riot or fire or violent act on the streets ISN'T tied to BLM. Also, it's OK to differentiate between the BLM organization and the basic viewpoint that black lives do indeed matter. If you agree that black lives matter then why in the hell would it matter if athletes are using their platform to advance the conversation and bring light to police brutality and social injustice?

What are all of these old guys going to do now with all of their free time? They've quit football, basketball, baseball and even Nascar because Bubba Wallace decided to have an opinion and a voice.

Now if Trump doesn't get reelected these old fuckers will literally have nothing else to root for. Will be interesting to watch unfold.

Very well said

Definitely enjoying all the old white guy gatekeeping of what is and is not acceptable for these athletes to do as a team to support the idea that black lives matter.

What would make you feel better - maybe give them a little section of the chalkboard in the locker room where they can write down some positive notes about race relations and nobody has to see it?

Have some respect for the players, coaches and staff who clearly care deeply about this issue and have given serious thought about how to make an impact. Nobody cares about your ruffled feathers or white fragility. It makes zero difference if you think a fist supports violence or whatever nonsense ideology you've attached to it in your own mind.

Yep.

Support the team.

If you are honestly worried about what they're doing, try to consider a gracious or empathetic interpretation of their actions.

I'm not sure why, but I sometimes forget Creamy is kinda smart.

Too bad that there wasn't a message board and a message board archive, heading into the 1967 Wake Forest football season, when WF made the bold move to not only play its first black football player, Freddie Summers, in program history, but to start Summers at QB. FWIW, Summers went on to become an All-ACC player, and one of the best in WF history.

Think there would be some similarly awful "there goes the neighborhood" takes and "I'm withdrawing all support from the school and the football program" threats about WF allowing Summers to play on the eve of that game.

I would hope you don't make the leap that "we will have emblems on the sides of our helmets" means the "WF" will be replaced. That hasn't been said -- it's just been that there will be emblems.

I asked for a photo of the helmets to run with yesterday's story and was told the emblems/BLM haven't been attached to helmets yet, but when able, I'd get a photo of a helmet.

Thanks for the clarification! Not to be nit-picky, but the language in your story also led me to believe that they would be replacing the WF logo as well. Hopefully they do not as the Wake Forest logo with the emblems arguably sends a more powerful message than just the emblems themselves.

As an old white guy, I support our players and respect their point of view.

Too bad that there wasn't a message board and a message board archive, heading into the 1967 Wake Forest football season, when WF made the bold move to not only play its first black football player, Freddie Summers, in program history, but to start Summers at QB. FWIW, Summers went on to become an All-ACC player, and one of the best in WF history.

Think there would be some similarly awful takes about WF allowing Summers to play on the eve of that game.

"Look, I'm all for him being on the team, but does he really have to be on the field? I know there are a lot of fans out there who feel the same way who will stop supporting the team if they do this. He'd be more effective on the practice squad anyway when you consider what's best for the team."

Back