• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Football Week 1 - Clemson discussion

Asshole I said I support BLM ... nuance

So fragile.

"I support BLM, but if they put a little picture of a fist on their helmets that's it for me!"

Based on your other posts and comments, I find your "support" to be as shallow as your insults. Conditional on your comfort instead of the meaning espoused by those trying to make a difference.

I didn’t ignore the interview I responded. I reiterate, if the WF logo is not viable on the helmets (still unclear) and are replaced by the clinched fist symbol there will be ridicule and blowback.

Ridicule and blow back against placing a symbol of solidarity on a football helmet? Placing a sticker on a helmet is about as peaceful as a protest gets, but I guess it's not the right kind of peaceful protest?

So fragile.

"I support BLM, but if they put a little picture of a fist on their helmets that's it for me!"

Based on your other posts and comments, I find your "support" to be as shallow as your insults. Conditional on your comfort instead of the meaning espoused by those trying to make a difference.

Again, where did I say that’s it for me? Where? You don’t seem to be able to handle nuance. I’m supportive of BLM, but I can guarantee you that if there is a clinched fist in lieu of wf on the helmets Saturday night there will be blowback and ridicule. That is what I am saying. It is an excellent move for the team to make a statement. I hope they have BLM on the shoulder pads. On the other hand 80% of the people watching Saturday night will have the Wikipedia perception of the fist etc. so I contend that to be counterproductive.

I don't think comparing people who question what is behind the BLM movement to those who wouldn't have wanted the first black football player on the team is logical. To generalize someone who questions the organization as stupid or racist is no different than a racist generalizing all black people negatively. At it's core you are still labeling someone into a category based on your opinion. And I am not racist, I believe what has happened to George Floyd and others is disgusting and revolting. I also believe that there shouldn't have been mass rioting unless the cops hadn't been arrested and charged with murder or nothing had been done. I think there are bad cops that racially profile and more needs to be done to correct this situation. I also believe that if in some areas there is a much greater number of black crime than there is in other races that there needs to be something done so the cops don't "burn out" and target every black as being suspicious. I have son's who have both regularly had black and hispanic friends to my house overnight and on family vacations. We go to ball tournaments together, live in harmony, and I consider them family. I hate that the world is the way it is today.

this new OGB is really unnerving

The new OGB is a poster's poster. He is in the select company of posters who have been successful as a moderator and poster. And, after stints in both these roles, he'll understand and embrace the unique athletic and academic culture of OGBoards.com.

73, based on your post, I assume you do believe Black lives matter. So if you don't support Black Lives Matter, which elements of the platform posted on their website do you not support? Which organizations do you support?

For the record, the overwhelming majority of people who express "Black Lives Matter" in some way have nothing to do with the organization. They simply believe that Black lives matter.

I don't think comparing people who question what is behind the BLM movement to those who wouldn't have wanted the first black football player on the team is logical. To generalize someone who questions the organization as stupid or racist is no different than a racist generalizing all black people negatively. At it's core you are still labeling someone into a category based on your opinion. And I am not racist, I believe what has happened to George Floyd and others is disgusting and revolting. I also believe that there shouldn't have been mass rioting unless the cops hadn't been arrested and charged with murder or nothing had been done. I think there are bad cops that racially profile and more needs to be done to correct this situation. I also believe that if in some areas there is a much greater number of black crime than there is in other races that there needs to be something done so the cops don't "burn out" and target every black as being suspicious. I have son's who have both regularly had black and hispanic friends to my house overnight and on family vacations. We go to ball tournaments together, live in harmony, and I consider them family. I hate that the world is the way it is today.

Alright first off it’s not mass rioting. Protesting is not rioting.

But more importantly, that’s exactly why the protesting is happening. It was not just George Floyd, although that was a pretty obvious example of police brutality. It happens a lot. And many of these incidents, perhaps even most, are not taken seriously, no charges are filed and nothing is done.

The similarity between the situation in 1968 when Freddy Summers broke the WF football color barrier, and today with football players openly supporting the BLM movement is the reflexive response of a segment of fans/alums who: a) vow to never give another dime to the school or the football program; b) refuse to follow the Deacs after years/decades of claimed loyalty. Same reaction to an evolving social/political phenomenon in both 1968 and 2020.

Well, that and insisting on living on the wrong side of history.

Sorry to disappoint, but we live an age when many people (athletes in particular) who have a public voice because they play in a high-profile arena elect to use to point out social ills. Those who think that athletes should simply shut up and play the game are on the wrong side of history; so, either accept that athletes will now elect to use their platform to support causes that not everyone agrees with or find something else to do. Acting like we should return to the good old days when athletes were just happy to play the sport is over, just like in 1968, it was over for those that enjoyed attending a football games with just white boys out there.

Last edited:
In general I'm not a big fan of social and political commentary as part of my "customer" experience, though I may fully support your cause(or if not, your right to express it), particularly if it's done unobtrusively. But if it's In your face or too direct, count me out: don't want to "have a conversation about race" with the guy making my Starbucks latte, or hear "concerns" about gay culture with the girl making my Chick Fil La sammich, or have the clerk at Hobby Lobby write "pro-life" on my receipt. But all of that on your time and dime (not mine) is fine by me, and feel free to promote yourself as representing X organization while you're doing it.

Whoever is in charge of the athletic graphics needs to change styles. All of the graphics on twitter are awful

If there one thing donks love more than looking up criminal records of black people murdered by police, it’s finding a random black person on YouTube who also hates BLM.

You are frustrated with what is happening in our country. You believe that if people want change and to be safe they still need to comply.

What people like myself actually GO THROUGH is I have to look in the mirror before i leave my home and accept I may not come back solely due to the color of my skin. What someone like Ja'Cquez Williams has to GO THROUGH is if he gets pulled over it becomes a life or death scenario solely because of the color of his skin. What someone like Cameron Glenn has to GO THROUGH is being a large black man with tattoos means you're a target.

You asked a question of, "why sports?" Because it's the only place people like you and people in power seem to give a damn about them and they're able to get their voice across of "we matter too" because in every other aspect of life it doesn't feel like Black Lives Matter. I have 3 grandparents still on this earth and all three of them were alive before the Civil Rights Act was passed, 2 were in the military in different positions, and my grandmother was in public health. They'll be some of the first to tell you not shit has changed since then. My mother was in school a couple of years after schools in Atlanta gradually integrated. She'll tell you shit hasn't changed. She fears for my life every time i leave home, and I'm not someone who goes and breaks windows, steals, murders. I'm a 24 year old Wake Forest graduate with a double major, working in analytics, and do nothing else but write for a shitty blog and make terrible jokes on twitter. But she's scared for me, and I'm scared for me because the color of my skin makes me a target.

The players aren't promoting the organization, which does a lot of good but that is a discussion for not now, but they're promoting that Black Lives Matter. Because they haven't ever in this country and people are tired of being scared and they don't want their kids to grow up living in the same fear we have.

This is the best response to hpdeac on this thread. Nothing else comes close. It's personal. It's from the heart. It's honest. It's accurate. It prompts the reader to examine their beliefs and prejudices without personal criticism. This is probably an example of the discussion that occurred within the football team. The result was a unified decision to act.

Back