• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Wake Forest Football Season

Tennessee is why Clawson ain't leaving. He saw the extra ugly side of super jock run programs. The SEC could not begin to understand the musings of a Williams graduate.

It’s astounding to me that people still put any stock on that season at UT given what UT and Clawson have been like since that year.

Might be repeating myself or someone else here, but also remember: They (media and fans) killed Clawson's offense and said he couldn't recruit. He had two QBs committed who decommitted and went elsewhere; Bryce Petty went to Baylor and Tajh Boyd went to Clemson.

Might be repeating myself or someone else here, but also remember: They (media and fans) killed Clawson's offense and said he couldn't recruit. He had two QBs committed who decommitted and went elsewhere; Bryce Petty went to Baylor and Tajh Boyd went to Clemson.

At least TN dodged the bullet on those two scrubs.

As discussed on prior threads, anyone know what the source of the beef between Cutcliffe and Clawson is? Thinking it was something to do with their time at Tennessee - wouldn’t be shocked if Cut made some digs at Clawson as OC when Cut went to Duke in 2008 and Clawson took over as OC with his recruits.

I have never seen them warmly embrace after a game. I’m not losing sleep over - just curious. Don’t think it’s a coincidence that we laid hammer down 59-7 on them in 2018 at Wallace Wade. Feel like most other teams we’re up by that much - we call off dogs. I think Cut is arrogant and has made a career out of coaching the Manning’s 20+ years ago. Also- didn’t like how Duke was obviously trying to hurt Newman’s legs in 2019.

To a man, Duke wants to sever from their coach. Beating Wake ain't gonna change that. And his line after multiple beat downs..." We can't run from it, we will run to it" is getting so old it's got mold on it.

As discussed on prior threads, anyone know what the source of the beef between Cutcliffe and Clawson is? Thinking it was something to do with their time at Tennessee - wouldn’t be shocked if Cut made some digs at Clawson as OC when Cut went to Duke in 2008 and Clawson took over as OC with his recruits.

I have never seen them warmly embrace after a game. I’m not losing sleep over - just curious. Don’t think it’s a coincidence that we laid hammer down 59-7 on them in 2018 at Wallace Wade. Feel like most other teams we’re up by that much - we call off dogs. I think Cut is arrogant and has made a career out of coaching the Manning’s 20+ years ago. Also- didn’t like how Duke was obviously trying to hurt Newman’s legs in 2019.

Cutcliffe is a pretty well established asshole. That's probably all there is to it.

As discussed on prior threads, anyone know what the source of the beef between Cutcliffe and Clawson is?

Because Cutcliffe is a wretched human being?

I'm really hoping Wake wins by 50+ Saturday.

To college football media, if it happens outside the SEC it doesn't really happen. There are probably writers who hadn't even thought about Clawson since that year at Tennessee.

Always thought that the tension between Clawson and Cutcliffe stems from recruiting in the same pool, and Cutcliffe going negative on WF and vice versa. WF's success in football makes it harder for Cutcliffe to use excuses for Duke's struggles. In such a competitive environment, it's hard to keep the warm and fuzzy feeling going.

Wasn't there something from a few years ago when Cutcliffe declared at halftime on camera that he guaranteed a win on our home turf? They did win but I recall some outrage over that.

I can say that Clawson made Duke a focal point as soon as he got to Wake. So the recruiting from the same pond issue may be the big reason.

Wasn't there something from a few years ago when Cutcliffe declared at halftime on camera that he guaranteed a win on our home turf? They did win but I recall some outrage over that.

I can't remember the game, but I think he's said that in multiple halftime interviews and then subsequently got his ass kicked.

Always thought that the tension between Clawson and Cutcliffe stems from recruiting in the same pool, and Cutcliffe going negative on WF and vice versa. WF's success in football makes it harder for Cutcliffe to use excuses for Duke's struggles. In such a competitive environment, it's hard to keep the warm and fuzzy feeling going.

Yeah. Duke and Wake have rarely been good and definitely rarely been good at the same time. In 1987, Bill Dooley and Steve Spurrier coached their first seasons and Wake and Duke. Since then, Duke has finished over .500 8 times and Wake has finished over .500 14 times. The only times Wake and Duke finished over .500 in the same year were 2017 and 2018.

I can say that Clawson made Duke a focal point as soon as he got to Wake. So the recruiting from the same pond issue may be the big reason.

Right, I thought even from his press conference. Although he probably knew cutcliffe’s reputation and so he was aware of what he was getting into by fanning the flames of the rivalry. I’d say he’s won the faceoff.

Now you are just whining.

You don't like Liberty because it is a conservative, evangelical Christian institution. You have every right to not to like it, or to not agree with its values or principles. But to say that it is an "abhorrent institution" and that Wake should never schedule it as an opponent in sports (because you don't like it) just makes you come off as foolish, petty and intolerant.

Soo…

So you just DON’T LIKE sexual assault victims being retaliated against by authority figures? Weird.

Yeah. Duke and Wake have rarely been good and definitely rarely been good at the same time. In 1987, Bill Dooley and Steve Spurrier coached their first seasons and Wake and Duke. Since then, Duke has finished over .500 8 times and Wake has finished over .500 14 times. The only times Wake and Duke finished over .500 in the same year were 2017 and 2018.

That’s crazy. Yeah we definitely owned Cut early in his tenure - 2008-2011- but then we owned us 2012-2015. Since then, we’re 3-1 against them. Cut should’ve retired after 2018 and Daniel Jones went to NFL. If he doesn’t have an NFL QB, he’s mediocre.

That’s crazy. Yeah we definitely owned Cut early in his tenure - 2008-2011- but then we owned us 2012-2015. Since then, we’re 3-1 against them. Cut should’ve retired after 2018 and Daniel Jones went to NFL. If he doesn’t have an NFL QB, he’s mediocre.

I've seen Duke play twice this year. They need a WHOLE lot more than an NFL QB. But, I get your point.

Back