• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biden/Schumer/Pelosi Accountability Thread

there are a handful of blue states that have moved to a $15 minimum wage phasing in over roughly the same time that this bill would phase in. So I am wondering where the groundswell of support is for a minimum significantly above $15 an hour is coming from?

If you are born with a penis you shouldn’t be playing women’s sports. Period.

It’s not a liberal position, it’s common sense, regardless what anyone says around here.

Happy Sunday y’all !

The only reason that how you’re born should affect athletic competition is if the competition is between newborns.

If a trans person undergoes hormone therapy before puberty, where should they compete?

A few cases in which transgender people, male to female, have had noted impact on their sports have prompted this.

Renee Richards was one of the first of these. A mediocre (at best) male tennis player, he transitioned to female around age 30 and she won decent money in women's pro tennis tournaments.

It is also intertwined with the issue of intersex athletes like Caster Semenya who compete as women. They have naturally high levels of testosterone that would otherwise be considered using performance enhancing drugs. So these people make the definitions of male and female athletes very difficult. How do sports define "female" for purposes of equitable competition?

Was it "fair" for 6-1 Renee Richards to compete as a woman after sex reassignment surgery and hormone therapy? She reached #20 in the world as a woman. Did she deprive someone who was born biologically female get deprived of a top 20 ranking and tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars in earnings?

This is not prompted by Renee Richards. 100% guarantee that the vast majority of legislators pushing for this have no fucking clue who that is. this is all culture wars firing up the base bullshit.

The only reason that how you’re born should affect athletic competition is if the competition is between newborns.

If a trans person undergoes hormone therapy before puberty, where should they compete?

Oh man, if we’re discussing the idea of letting a prepubescent kid choose to undergo hormone therapy, then we’re opening up a whole ‘nother can of worms here.

I agree with most everything that both sides on this thread are saying for the most part. The republicans are pushing this for cynical culture war reasons. There are very few instances of this actually occurring, and the majority of instances really wouldn't change the competitive balance or nature of the sporting activities. However there are certainly instances where somebody could take advantage of this to achieve scholarships prize money etc where they had a physiological competitive advantage due to them being born a male.

Last edited:
I agree with most everything that both sides are saying for the most part. The republicans are pushing this for cynical culture war reasons. There are very few instances of this actually occurring, and the majority of instances really wouldn't change the competitive balance or nature of the sporting activities. However there are certainly instances where somebody could take advantage of this to achieve scholarships prize money etc where they had a physiological competitive advantage due to them being born a male.

Considering how stacked the rest of the world is against trans people, I don’t think this is something that people are going to be flippantly taking advantage of.

Oh man, if we’re discussing the idea of letting a prepubescent kid choose to undergo hormone therapy, then we’re opening up a whole ‘nother can of worms here.

Trans people are certainly not a monolith and their experiences differ, but I’ve heard more than one trans adult express that a lot of their mental health struggles stem from the fact that they underwent puberty as the wrong gender, and that if they had been able to undergo therapy prior to puberty that they’d be much happier adults.

Considering how stacked the rest of the world is against trans people, I don’t think this is something that people are going to be flippantly taking advantage of.
But does the motivation really matter? I will certainly concede that somebody who is a very good athlete could certainly identify as a female being a male for very legitimate psychological reasons and then discover that they are in an elite athlete competing as a woman.

But does the motivation really matter? I will certainly concede that somebody who is a very good athlete could certainly identify as a female being a male for very legitimate psychological reasons and then discover that they are in an elite athlete competing as a woman.

yes that may happen very occasionally. I guess my response is just... so what?

yes that may happen very occasionally. I guess my response is just... so what?
Well for one thing you have an entire professional designation of women's sports that accounts for the fact that women and men are physiologically different.

The issue of intersex people competing as women is another component of the discussion. The top three finishers in the women's 800 meter run at the last Olympics were all intersex people. Their natural testosterone levels are well above the upper limit that anti-doping protocols would consider acceptable for "female."

The issue of intersex people competing as women is another component of the discussion. The top three finishers in the women's 800 meter run at the last Olympics were all intersex people. Their natural testosterone levels are well above the upper limit that anti-doping protocols would consider acceptable for "female."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/08/sports/olympics/caster-semenya-court-ruling.html

A ruling by the Swiss Supreme Court appears to have nixed any chance for the South African star to defend her title in her signature event at the Tokyo Olympics next summer.

Either Senate Democrats decide that American citizens should vote or state Republicans decide who can’t. It’s simple and straight forward.

Strawman said:

According to conservatives, the two biggest issues facing our country right now are cancel culture and this supposed widespread plague of transgender people playing women's sports. Whatever fires up the base, I guess.

Imagine the hate in your heart if these are the things that motivate you to vote, participate in politics etc

Let’s just drop gender from sports all together and go with measuring pre-competition testosterone levels. It will be like wresting weigh ins for weight class. Athletes will eat tons of tofu in the days before the blood test to try and get there testosterone level down.

Back