• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2021 College Football Thread: Grass Picker Named to CFP Selection Committee!

College football may be headed to a 12 team playoff: https://sports.yahoo.com/college-football-playoff-expansion-plan-043900023.html

The 12 bids would be issued as follows:

- Auto bid for the ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac 12 and SEC Champ
- 1 Auto bid for the highest ranked program NOT in one of the above identified Power V conferences
- 6 at large bids

Bowls would still remain, but some of the bowls would be in the 11 game rotation for the playoff. While the movement seems to be heading in this direction, of course, the Rose Bowl remains a sticking point. The current 4 team playoff will remain for at least the 2021 and 2022 seasons. The contract for the current BCS format runs for 5 more seasons, but the thinking is that ESPN may be willing to renegotiate the BCS deal (sweeten the pot) for the final 3 years of the BCS deal if the schools agree to the larger field.

1. Fuck the Rose Bowl

2. Why do you keep referring to the BCS still?

I’ll start by saying it’s ridiculous to build a playoff system around including teams that lost their conference championship games. They had a chance to get in and lost. I don’t think we’d be better off with teams who just lost playing a different conference champ or playing each other for a chance to get a rematch. The CFP already feels like worthless exercise to get to Alabama vs. Clemson or maybe a different team.

But if they want to do this, there are ways to get around the Rose Bowl with a reasonable format.

I’ll start by saying it’s ridiculous to build a playoff system around including teams that lost their conference championship games. They had a chance to get in and lost. I don’t think we’d be better off with teams who just lost playing a different conference champ or playing each other for a chance to get a rematch. The CFP already feels like worthless exercise to get to Alabama vs. Clemson or maybe a different team.

But if they want to do this, there are ways to get around the Rose Bowl with a reasonable format.

Seems like we are way past the argument against allowing a team to compete for the National Championship that lost the conference championship game. In literally every other college sport and even in pro football, teams compete for and sometimes win championships that don't win their conference, their division, and in some cases don't even have a winning record. Baylor just won the National Championship in men's hoop after losing in the Big 12 conference tournament; same with UVA in 2019. Not sure why the one carveout should be that a team can finish 2nd or worse in their conference or division and compete for a Natty in every sport, except college football.

The NFL has 4 team divisions, not 12-16 team conferences. NCAA Basketball has a 6 round tournament, not a 3 or 4 rounds like a large playoff would. The conference championships are mostly division champs playing against each other. It's already the de facto opening rounds of a tournament.

The NFL has 4 team divisions, not 12-16 team conferences. NCAA Basketball has a 6 round tournament, not a 3 or 4 rounds like a large playoff would. The conference championships are mostly division champs playing against each other. It's already the de facto opening rounds of a tournament.

Except it never has been. UGA lost to Bama in the SEC Championship in 2018, and then Bama played UGA (in a great game) for the Natty a month later. That was with just a 4 team playoff.

FWIW, the 12 team tournament will add the emphasis on the Conference Championship games. For many if not most of the conference championship games, winning the CG doesn't get you in (see the Big 12, Pac 12 championship game this past year); with a 12 team tournament, schools can actually play there way in for winning. Winning the 2006 ACC title was an all-time highlight for me, had it gotten WF into a 12 team playoff that would've only heightened the excitement for that game.

Yeah- we now have a path for Wake to actually play in the college football playoff, remote as it might be. Win the ACC in a down year and take your chances.

I'm gonna be the asshole here, but there are not 12 good teams in college football every season. This is a dumb idea.

I'll watch it (and bet on it), but it is a dumb idea.

There aren't even 4 teams that usually deserve a shot at a national championship every year. I could deal with an 8 team playoff so that all of the P5 conferences get in, along with 1 group of 5 and then 2 at-large... It'd still be too many teams, but I'd get the rationale. 12 teams is a joke and a bunch of unnecessary extra games.

I'm gonna be the asshole here, but there are not 12 good teams in college football every season. This is a dumb idea.

I'll watch it (and bet on it), but it is a dumb idea.

There aren't even 4 teams that usually deserve a shot at a national championship every year. I could deal with an 8 team playoff so that all of the P5 conferences get in, along with 1 group of 5 and then 2 at-large... It'd still be too many teams, but I'd get the rationale. 12 teams is a joke and a bunch of unnecessary extra games.

OK, Grandpa.

12 teams would be smaller than the FCS, D2 and D3 tournaments, and smaller than just about every HS State Championship tournament. There are 130 FBS teams. Fewer than 1 out of 11 FBS teams qualifying for the playoff is pretty exclusive comparatively. With more games, there will be more upsets. My guess is that this is going to be hugely popular and probably expand to 16 and then 24 over the next twenty years.

OK, Grandpa.

12 teams would be smaller than the FCS, D2 and D3 tournaments, and smaller than just about every HS State Championship tournament. There are 130 FBS teams. Fewer than 1 out of 11 FBS teams qualifying for the playoff is pretty exclusive comparatively. With more games, there will be more upsets. My guess is that this is going to be hugely popular and probably expand to 16 and then 24 over the next twenty years.

Listen here, sonny...

Yeah, that's why I prefaced that by saying I was going to be the asshole.

Basketball is not Football (for many reasons), but no amount of extra games was going to change LSU winning 2 years ago. And having 4 SEC teams in the playoff seems like it kind of destroys any meaning the SEC regular season might still have.

I get that 12 teams is still exclusive when looking at 130 FBS teams, but there are generally only 2-5 teams that have any real chance of winning the championship at the start of any season (and maybe 1-3 by the time you get to the playoff).

I'm all for MOAR FOOTBALL, but a 6/11 Iowa State/Indiana opening round matchup does nothing for me.

I do like the idea of eliminating more of the cupcake OOC matchups in favor of "meaningful" games in a playoff.

Again, I am going to lose this argument. More games are inevitable. But I don't have to like it just because young whippersnappers like yourself want to see more CTE just so you don't have a boring Saturday.

I'm 42.

Except it never has been. UGA lost to Bama in the SEC Championship in 2018, and then Bama played UGA (in a great game) for the Natty a month later. That was with just a 4 team playoff.

FWIW, the 12 team tournament will add the emphasis on the Conference Championship games. For many if not most of the conference championship games, winning the CG doesn't get you in (see the Big 12, Pac 12 championship game this past year); with a 12 team tournament, schools can actually play there way in for winning. Winning the 2006 ACC title was an all-time highlight for me, had it gotten WF into a 12 team playoff that would've only heightened the excitement for that game.

Except it should be. Your example is a team losing to a better team, then making a playoff ahead of two P5 conference champs only to lose again to that same better team.

Football tournaments are about settling it on the field instead of rankings. If it's already been settled on the field in a conference championship, why settle it again?

Why is college football the outlier in this conference winner decides everything argument?

Wild card teams or teams that finished down in the standings have won titles in all pro, college and HS sports. In essentially every NCAA sanctioned sport there is a conference championship tournament and then an NCAA tournament. Teams regularly win the national championship, after failing to win their conference championship, including in NCAA Football tournaments.

It was very clear in 2018, the UGA and Bama were the two best teams in the country, what is the problem with them facing off again in the title game after they won their semifinal games? Who would've been better served if Bama had boat-raced Oklahoma in the National Championship game instead of the last second win over UGA on Tua's last second heave?

If there is going to be a rule that only conference champions make the NCAA football tournament. Then, to be fair, that rule has to apply is every other sport, and that hasn't been the case for decades.

Last edited:

I'm pretty sure this was the year Alabama lost to Auburn in the finale, then Georgia beat Auburn in the SEC Championship game, and Alabama snuck in as an at-large 4th seed, right? And it was the 2017 season, not 2018 (Clemson won the title in 2018, the January 2019 title game).

G5 teams are a joke. Cincinnati, UCF, USF. Boise, Ga tech, Texas Tech. Fuck em all.

A 12 team playoff is stupid. Go to 16 teams and make everyone win four games to secure the championship.

The perceived problem with the four team playoff has been the lack of Pac 12 and Big 12 participants. Solve the problem with an 8 team playoff comprised of the five FBS champions and three at large teams.

In reality, there are seldom more than six legitimate contenders for the championship. Everyone else is making excuses or prefacing their statements with "If only..."

A 12 team playoff is stupid. Go to 16 teams and make everyone win four games to secure the championship.

The perceived problem with the four team playoff has been the lack of Pac 12 and Big 12 participants. Solve the problem with an 8 team playoff comprised of the five FBS champions and three at large teams.

In reality, there are seldom more than six legitimate contenders for the championship. Everyone else is making excuses or prefacing their statements with "If only..."

This guy gets it.

Back