• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2021 College Football Thread: Grass Picker Named to CFP Selection Committee!

A 12 team playoff is stupid. Go to 16 teams and make everyone win four games to secure the championship.

The perceived problem with the four team playoff has been the lack of Pac 12 and Big 12 participants. Solve the problem with an 8 team playoff comprised of the five FBS champions and three at large teams.

In reality, there are seldom more than six legitimate contenders for the championship. Everyone else is making excuses or prefacing their statements with "If only..."

Yep.
IF the playoff is expanded, go to 8 teams. This could include big 5 conference champs, plus 3 others. No need for more as it’s highly doubtful they would be competitive. Regardless of how many teams get in, their will always be controversy about those that that were close and ‘should have gotten in’. Look at basketball. The tournament has expanded so much, it’s a joke, and there are teams rated in the 60s and 70s complaining that they should have gotten in.

I actually like the idea of 12 better than 8. At least the 5/12, 6/11, 7/10, 8/9 have a chance to be competitive games, but when you get down to the 8, 1/8 and 2/7 match-ups will likely be blowouts anyway. End result will be the same, but I'd rather see say Indiana and Cincinnati in an 8/9 matchup with something on the line (a moonshot chance in the next round), vs. those same two playing in a meaningless Sun Bowl or whatever.

Under this 12 team format, you might as well just pencil in Notre Dame for one of those six automatic bids. I can't stand that Notre Dame continues to be rewarded for being an independent and doing next to nothing to be included among the elite of college football.

I was okay with a six team playoff with the actual six best teams. I hated the eight team playoff with the five P5 conference champs and one stupid G5 team plus two at large teams because it didn’t guarantee that the best teams would be in the playoff.

The 12 team playoff is fine because it guarantees that all of the best teams will get a shot, but in reality it’s all about stacking that paper. The downside is that it give Notre Dame a better then 50% chance of making the playoff every year and UNC-CH will be in the playoff sooner than later. We'll also have an annual discussion about whether the G5 should get two teams.

Upside for Wake is we get in as a 13-0 conference champion no matter what or might get in at 12-1 if we don’t lose to Clemson by 60 and our SOS is reasonable (which it currently isn’t).

BC and Alabama just announced a home and home in 2031 and 2034 so all you people saying Wake can’t schedule a good P5 team can fuck right off.

BC and Alabama just announced a home and home in 2031 and 2034 so all you people saying Wake can’t schedule a good P5 team can fuck right off.

But Saban will be gone by then and Bama might not be any good. At least not what they are now.

So what ? People were straight up saying we can’t schedule a program like Alabama.

I was okay with a six team playoff with the actual six best teams. I hated the eight team playoff with the five P5 conference champs and one stupid G5 team plus two at large teams because it didn’t guarantee that the best teams would be in the playoff.

meh, not sure a scenario where the six-team format you have here hits on the best teams and the eight-team playoff doesn't

eight-team version might include one or two less deserving teams, but all the true contenders will be there

Six team would reward the top two teams though, similar to a 12-team.

I don't like byes in a college football playoff. Too much of an advantage and not always earned (completely subjective based on rankings). At least in the NFL, they've "earned" it by having the best record(s).

Another reason why I like 4 (or even 8), but not 6 or 12.

4 seems fine to me. It's not like we've ever really had a debate about a team that got left out of the 4 team playoff deserving to be national champs.

Six team would reward the top two teams though, similar to a 12-team.

Why do the top two teams need to be rewarded? They are only the top two teams each year because the voters/rankings think they are. The playoff should prove that out, not provide them an advantage.

I don't like byes in a college football playoff. Too much of an advantage and not always earned (completely subjective based on rankings). At least in the NFL, they've "earned" it by having the best record(s).

Another reason why I like 4 (or even 8), but not 6 or 12.

4 seems fine to me. It's not like we've ever really had a debate about a team that got left out of the 4 team playoff deserving to be national champs.

agreed

reward for top teams is reflected in the seeding

I think I'm in favor of a larger expanded playoff than a smaller expansion. The reason being is that if you go to 8 teams (5 conference champs, 3 at-large), we'll just be expanding the same entrenchment of talent to a few more schools. You'll basically keep the same teams at the very top getting the same talent AND you'll have one or two G5 teams that will absorb a good bit of talent to try to burrow their way into the playoff each year despite not playing in a good conference. Same thing happens, I think, if you go to 6. If you provide a bit more of a chance for a number of teams, a lot more teams can stake a claim to having a chance to be in the tourney and talent gets dispersed a bit more.

Lol Ga Tech.

Why do the top two teams need to be rewarded? They are only the top two teams each year because the voters/rankings think they are. The playoff should prove that out, not provide them an advantage.

Boom ! Exactly.

The ACC has turned their basketball tournament into a carnival with multiple byes. Give the regular season champ a bye. Let the remaining 14 teams play the first round on Wednesday on the home court of the higher seed. Bring the seven winners and the champ to a neutral location for the tourney Friday thru Sunday. A lot more money and an equal chance for success.

Boom ! Exactly.

The ACC has turned their basketball tournament into a carnival with multiple byes. Give the regular season champ a bye. Let the remaining 14 teams play the first round on Wednesday on the home court of the higher seed. Bring the seven winners and the champ to a neutral location for the tourney Friday thru Sunday. A lot more money and an equal chance for success.

I like the plan from a competition standpoint. But, it doesn't maximize TV revenue so it won't happen.

The byes are smart because they keep the conference champ games from turning into exhibitions. Under an eigh-team format most years the two teams from the SEC champ game will be locked in regardless of outcome, or a game like Ohio State-Northwestern could become a farce where Ohio State isn't taking the game seriously but NW is playing for their lives. A bye is enough motivation to prevent all that from occurring in my estimation

Back